Yellownaut

Chieftain
Hello there,

I'm a long-time CIV4 player who finds modding CIV4 to be a therapeutic way of keeping my mind sharp and logically-focused (always helpful as a computer science student!) whilst winding down my stress.

Thus I'm in the process of making a sub-mod for Realism Invictus. I have a large list of things I would like to see in the game, that will hopefully appear in the mod at some stage. However, I am taking a modular approach: focusing on achieving one thing at a time in totality before moving on to the next.

One of my favorite aspects of the Civilization series has always been about imagining my nation and other nations in a geographical context. Yet that aspect has always felt a little lightweight relative to other, more detailed aspects of the game, such as technologies and unit variety. All the extra detail added via Realism Invictus only serves to make this discrepancy feel more glaring.

Therefore my main aims at the moment are:

1) Diversify Realism Invictus' terrain.
2) Make a new map script to incorporate these changes, and address some of (what I feel are) the weaknesses in the current map scripts' ability to generate random Earth-like maps; especially at Huge and Giant scales.
3) Update existing Realism Invictus content (e.g. Civilizations, Leaders, Technologies, Units) to properly and thematically incorporate the new and adjusted terrains.

More specifically, I plan to:

> Expand the base terrain set from 5 types (Desert, Grassland, Ice, Plains, Tundra) to 7 types (Desert, Grassland, Montane, Polar, Savanna, Semi-Arid, Tundra).

> Add more variety and nuance regarding Wetland features. Currently planned are revamped Lakes, Bogs, Floodplains, and Marshes.

> Consider implementing Coastal Wetland features (Mangroves, Seagrass Meadow, Salt Marshes), and other coastal features if feasible (e.g. Impassable Cliffs).

> Implement (only if neccessary - see Q2.) a revamped Forest system, based on four types (Broadleaf, Coniferous, Rainforest, Shrubland).

> Add a few sundry other terrain features (e.g. Dunes for the Desert base terrain).

> Fine-tune a new world-generation script so that it can reliably generate worlds that are more sophisticated and varied than the original Civ4, but more straightforward and easily-graspable than Koppen / Trewartha / Holdridge.

---

With all that in mind, I have a few questions I was hoping one of the R.I. mod team might be able to answer:

Q1. I imagine you must have a common reference spreadsheet that contains all Realism Invictus values for Commerce/Food/Industry/Defense for each type of base terrain, and all terrain features. I was wondering if such a document (and similar for all Units etc.) was available for public consumption, and if so, where I might find it?

Q2. Is there an existing method for checking what forest variety (e.g. Variety 1, Variety 2, Variety 3) is present in a tile? I ask because I want to use it to filter what resources can be placed there during World Generation, and perhaps for some other purposes. I suspect this is probably implemented already, so I thought it would be quicker to ask rather than trying to figure it out.

My thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi, nice to meet you! That's a very interesting project you're working on, please keep me informed of the changes you actually end up making, as some of those may get adopted by RI proper.

To answer your questions:

Q1. We don't have a reference sheet for terrains for a very simple reason that we don't add any new terrains. This is done for the sake of compatibility - currently, RI is compatible with any random map script, including vanilla Civ 4 ones. I don't think new terrains can be implemented in a way that would allow them to show up in the same compatible manner. So if you add them, they will only be able to show if pre-placed on maps or placed by specifically tweaked map scripts (while we ship RI with a couple, again, we designed it to work with most third-party ones too). The only thing we add is new features, and even then in moderation - we carefully check there's nothing unique in those, so if a new feature doesn't get placed by a map script, it's not game-breaking.

Q2. Don't know, we never had any reason to check that.

Top Bottom