Something cool actually happened with Diplomacy

ghoetker

Chieftain
Having generally been frustrated with many aspects of diplomacy, I wanted to share something really cool that happened in my current game.

It was late in the game. I, and only I, had autocracy as an ideology and had proposed it as the world ideology for the next world congress. In the interim, I was finishing off France, who had been at war with Sweden. I liberated a Swedish city from the French, which got me onto friendly terms of Adolphus of Sweden. I followed up with several other friendly gestures, such as exchanging embassies, denouncing Siam when he asked me to (first time I've ever encountered that request, which I thought was a neat twist), and trading luxuries with him. I didn't have an ambassador in his capital soon enough to lobby him for his votes at the upcoming congress however.

So, imagine my surprise and pleasure when he cast all 8 of his delegates in support of my world ideology proposal, pushing it over the top (everyone else voted against it). It probably helped that he didn't yet have an ideology, so he wasn't voting against his own interests. But, it was a concrete example of diplomatic actions meant to strengthen a relationship with a country turning into helpful actions from that country.

Nothing world shattering, but it felt more like diplomacy could really matter than anything else I'd experienced in the game before. I hope others are finding similar gems, even though diplomacy still has some room for improvement.

That is cool. I'm currently in a game with Poland, who has hated me forever... until I started backing his proposals, trading with him & nominating him for host of the WC. He's now DOF'd me, ignoring the military I'm massing on his border. Well, one tile from his border, anyway...

I think it might be hardcoded like it was for city states in the old diplomacy system, where if you liberate them they voted for you every time when it came time for diplo victory (unless they got captured again and then liberated by someone else).

The same thing happened to me in my game, where I liberated Japan's capital from the Romans. Nobunaga voted for each of my proposals every time after that.

Here's an interesting question though. Say your other prime opponent is going for a domination victory, and kills all other civilizations except for you. BUT, you control the World Congress and most of the city states.

Can you still get a diplo victory, even though there's only one other civilization, by casting all the votes for yourself??? If so, would it work even if there were no surviving city states?

If this is the case, someone who controls the world congress could have a "last laugh victory" just as his opponent is inches away from conquering the entire world.

If this is the case, someone who controls the world congress could have a "last laugh victory" just as his opponent is inches away from conquering the entire world.
I was playing a multiplayer game, and I was going for a Domination victory but simply was not going to pull it off before one of the other players would claim a Diplomatic victory. But since I had so many cities at that point I stopped all domination, disbanded everything but a skeleton defense, and turned all my city production into gold.

I was making over 1000 gold per turn, and the very last turn before the vote for World Leader came up I bought one AI Civ vote and every single city state vote out from under his nose. Yes, it was completely broken that I could do that, but it was absolutely a "Last Laugh Victory". :lol:

Top Bottom