Something wrong @ Firaxis?!

BlastDuke

Always hungry
OK, Col2 was released far too early (unbalanced and buggy) ... there are other threads covering this, I do not want to discuss this here.
I begin to wonder what's up with Firaxis, why do they
- release no patch
- don't even say that they are working on a patch
- don't even seem to care to fix their own Col2 website (this thread)

I fact, I haven't heard from them for quite a time, the last 'new' thing I know of is the Firaxis Colonization mod contest, and I hope they will do *something* after December 17th

I am wondering if something is haunting them inside the company, like (random order) ...
... they are just lazy
... they have financial problems and have cut-off all PR activities
... they don't talk to us anymore because of the extreme bashing after the release of Civ4:BtS
... they suffer from internal problems/disturbances/quarrels
... they are working on another project that consumes 100% of their time
... some important programmers/designers/PR guys have left or have died
... they have dumped the Col2 project leader and are still searching for a replacement
... Firaxis has been bought by EA and they will release 'Colonization 2010' as next title (minor graphical improvements)
... most of Firaxis' staff has become seriously ill
... they are a highly creative company, which means they are also highly unorganized (don't want to blame the creative guys)
... they have no time because they are all playing Civ4/Starcraft/WoW/...
... they are all on vacation
... Sid Meier has secretly left for a 6-month visit to the International Space Station (programming Alpha Centauri 2 there?)

Do you have any information on this (game magazines, Firaxis staff, beta testers ,...)?
Any information would be nice.

... they have financial problems and have cut-off all PR activities
... they don't talk to us anymore because of the extreme bashing after the release of Civ4:BtS
... they suffer from internal problems/disturbances/quarrels
... they are working on another project that consumes 100% of their time
... Firaxis has been bought by EA and they will release 'Colonization 2010' as next title (minor graphical improvements)
... they are a highly creative company, which means they are also highly unorganized (don't want to blame the creative guys)
... they have no time because they are all playing Civ4/Starcraft/WoW/...
Probably a combination of the above. But probably the fact that the mother house of Firaxis, Take Two, is being subject to a attempt of hostile takover by EA is the major factor

i always find it a little sad devs take it so personally. people love the franchise that's why they are so passionate about making ...often very reasonable... requests/demands.

What I fail to understand is why anyone would neglect customer relations for such a prestigious title as the Civilization franchise. Civ IV, Warlords and BtS all flew off the shelf. Col II could be repaired and tweaked to make most customers at least reasonably happy. To completely go into hiding doesn't make any sense, even if there is a hostile takeover attempt. And the fact that the music at the CivIVCol website has gone bad and nobody at Firaxis bothers to do something about it is alarming, to say the least.

Music at the official web site sounds exactly like the music on the CD. I don't hear any problems with the sound there.

Music at the official web site sounds exactly like the music on the CD. I don't hear any problems with the sound there.

Interesting. You are the first one (of several posters in various threads) to say that. I just checked, and the music is still completely broken on my computer. To forestall any (honest or less honest) misunderstandings, the music sounded perfectly OK on my quite recent computer until recently.

Nope, it sounds okay to me too. Nothing particularly good, just instrumental, but nothing really broken.

Hope Firaxis gets back to speed :(

I'm using Firefox 3.0.4. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Öjevind Lång;7521727 said:
Interesting. You are the first one (of several posters in various threads) to say that. I just checked, and the music is still completely broken on my computer. To forestall any (honest or less honest) misunderstandings, the music sounded perfectly OK on my quite recent computer until recently.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.4. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I find that doubtful since the music played perfectly well on my computer for months. Then it ceased to do so. I believe the others who have posted about the scratchy, screeching, awful "music" we now hear at the official Col II site had the same experience. So something that used to work at that site is now broken.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with it in the least.

It could also possibly be drivers. If others are still able to have he music to play just fine.

Some experience bad music at the site, others don't.

Sounds like a problem with their computers, than.

I don't make up reality, I just live it.
Öjevind Lång;7525803 said:
I find that doubtful since the music played perfectly well on my computer for months. Then it ceased to do so. I believe the others who have posted about the scratchy, screeching, awful "music" we now hear at the official Col II site had the same experience. So something that used to work at that site is now broken.

It's most likely a DirectX issue. Some people must have different version and some work and some don't.

Adobe Flash Player 9 in IE works fine.
Adobe Flash Player 10 in FF is screwed.

Cause seems obvious to me

It's most likely a DirectX issue. Some people must have different version and some work and some don't.

Yes, but that doesn't explain why the music played well for me for months and then stopped doing so. I hadn't updated DirectX inbetween.

To jammer g: There is nothing wrong with my computer. Next someone will claim that it's my computer's fault that there hasn't been a patch for Col II.

No need to get snippy, just throwing suggestions out there. :)

But it's my experience that usually when something works for some, but not for others, that it's related to something at both ends. ;)

Maybe the site itself updated to the latest drivers and is not compaitble with the drivers on the computer.

I'm not the expert, I just know that the music plays fine for me at the official site.

Öjevind Lång;7529185 said:
Yes, but that doesn't explain why the music played well for me for months and then stopped doing so. I hadn't updated DirectX inbetween.

To jammer g: There is nothing wrong with my computer. Next someone will claim that it's my computer's fault that there hasn't been a patch for Col II.

Maybe the site itself updated to the latest drivers and is not compaitble with the drivers on the computer.

I'm not the expert, I just know that the music plays fine for me at the official site.

That could be, of course; but considering the total apathy at Firaxis about everything else, why would they be so active with a really very minor thing such as updating a website where they have not posted any news for ages? Why update the music drivers when they completely ignore everything else? If it's an automatic update, I likewise fail to see the reason for it. Also, this change only pertains to the CivIVCol website; the music at the Civ IV and BtS websites play without any probem at all.

Sorry for getting a bit cranky before, but if I and others formerly heard the music there without any problem, and now we don't, I can't really see how we are somehow co-responsible for the change.

Dude, really chill.

I DON"T KNOW.

The music plays fine for me, this is all I know.

Nobody ever made you co-responsible for the CivIVColII website.

But if you feel you need to remain responsible for it than certainly you have my permission.

If they are neglecting their site, write them a letter if it bothers you so much.

Now forgive me for responding to this thread.
Öjevind Lång;7532919 said:
That could be, of course; but considering the total apathy at Firaxis about everything else, why would they be so active with a really very minor thing such as updating a website where they have not posted any news for ages? Why update the music drivers when they completely ignore everything else? If it's an automatic update, I likewise fail to see the reason for it. Also, this change only pertains to the CivIVCol website; the music at the Civ IV and BtS websites play without any probem at all.

Sorry for getting a bit cranky before, but if I and others formerly heard the music there without any problem, and now we don't, I can't really see how we are somehow co-responsible for the change.

The most talented employees are leaving and doing something similar else where. Not a good sign.
Losing/not owning the rights to one of your best selling products, Alpha Centauri, is very bad management.
Trying to make a quick buck with a rushed repolished buggy 14 year old game is disrespecting loyal fans.

Because of the civilization series they are still there.

Firaxis should do what they good at and not waste resources on inferior projects.

I feel like i felt with MoO3 (Master of Orion 3, another ruined franchise). :-( I was so excited because i loved MoO and MoO2 and then i got a buggy game which was abandoned soon after by the devs. At least we got one lousy patch there.

Top Bottom