Something wrong @ Firaxis?!

After all the negative posts here about Civilization IV: Colonization, I was rather surprised to read the following at Tom's Games:

....The video game industry doesn't often dabble in remakes like Hollywood does. However, the latest installment of Civilization IV is a rare and treasured exception. The second Civilization title on our Holiday Gift Guide (it's been a good year for Sid Meier, Firaxis and 2K Games) is a reboot of Sid Meier's 1994 title Colonization, which focused on Europe's expansion into the New World during the 1492-1792 time period. Civilization IV: Colonization updates the original title with more than just new graphics and an online multiplayer component....

I think for the "casual gamer" it's a good game, but for the ColFanatics it was lacking in depth (like CivRev lacked in depth for a lot of Civ4 players).

Who can say. Firaxis seems to exist under a shell where they pretend the internet doesn't exist. They have a crappy website, are crappy with communication, and are crappy at supporting their games, despite the fact that their games are successful and they must be making plenty of money.

If Take Two rejected the purchase by EA it's hard to tell the difference. An incomplete buggy game was released. No feedback between the franchise and customers. Of course it follows that there will be no patch. The patch will be called an expansion pack and be available for $29.95. It will have the majority of the bugs you hate still present but they will fix some of it and perhaps update the native leader heads and add a few soldiers with different uniforms. :crazyeye:

Erebos,

Why, oh why, oh why did you have to bring up MoO3? :^\ That could a very apt reference IF they abandon us. I think many of us can agree that this level of silence from them is unsatisfactory.

The further they neglect fans, the less Firaxis will really be worth to whoever owns it. We've come to expect more communication than this. I have loved many of their recent games, but the relationship between us and them is basically a business relationship, so it makes me ask: "what have they done for me lately?"

I believe in a certain amount of free market, so I see this as an example of my ideals. If this company is unfit to compete for its customers, then let it be dissolved and let its intellectual property pass to other, more fit competitors. But do I -really- want that? No.

(If they're working on something big, I wish they'd just say something. God help me, I try to spite them but they keep me wondering about what's next. But if it's Civ5 I'm really really not going to buy it so soon after buying Civ4)

I have a Google alert set to email me every time "Firaxis" pops up in the news. I recommend you all do the same and move on to other things. Also, it'll make you laugh whenever somebody reviews Civ4Col favorably. :lol:

Well, thats just it. If they would just say "We are working on a big project ATM, we will tell all soon", that would be fine. Paradox do things that way.

My personal opinion is that Civ4: Colonization is a good product. It doesn't have major bugs or gamebreaking elements.
Frankly the only thing that is broken is the old Col players perception of this product. So they have been whining on these forums that the game is not how they expected it (note: they expected it to be THE SAME as the original but in 3D). In fact, the only real mod out there that supposedly "fixes" the game actually breaks it by making it about 3x times easier to win and just plainly boring.

My personal opinion is that Civ4: Colonization is a good product. It doesn't have major bugs or gamebreaking elements.
Frankly the only thing that is broken is the old Col players perception of this product. So they have been whining on these forums that the game is not how they expected it (note: they expected it to be THE SAME as the original but in 3D). In fact, the only real mod out there that supposedly "fixes" the game actually breaks it by making it about 3x times easier to win and just plainly boring.

Completely setting aside your views on CivCol, dont you think Firaxis has been incredibly quiet lately?

You do know that mod is not finished and still very much in progress. And if people like yourself could provide feedback then maybe it would get to the level you want.

Also, have you tried 1.06 with an actual capable AI? I suspect not.

Not incredibly, but 99% quiet.

The 1% goes to modding contest announcement for Civ4Col several months ago.

Generally, in the time I've been playing Firaxis games (admittedly not that long) you hear form them a lot more... I think this is either really good (they are making CivV) or really bad

More precisely, until Soren Johnson left. He was the heart of transparency and good fan relations. Now they're apparently back to the previous "we don't give a damn" state.

Dale needs to apply to replace him, then. He can write patches and play PR. :)

I've gone back to Civ 4. Even with Dale's Mod, I just can't get into Col2. I like it, but I can't get more than a dozen or so turns into it. I might try again after a patch.

It's odd, because midway through 08, Sid was asked abnout CivV in an interview and said "ask me about that later in the year", so up til late December I was suspecting it may be announced, thats part of why I think there may be serious problems. Of course Firaxis could clear this all up if they wanted to

Top Bottom