Soren Johnson's new project?

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
It seems that WePlayCiv have scored themselves something of an exclusive: They have a playtest going of Soren Johnson's latest project.

Most people should have heard of Soren: He was a programmer for Civ3, lead designer for Civ4, and then moved on to Spore.

The playtest is fairly 'open', meaning that anyone can join. You can do this by heading on over to WePlayCiv, joining-up, and posting in this thread. You'll then be given access to the playtest forum.

I won't say too much about it (you can find out the details for yourself by joining), but I will say that it is web-based, and supports multiplayer.

Kudos to Solver, Dale & Locutus for getting this going.

Just started an account to try this. My name lost my 'Scape'. This is a great way to advertise WePlayCiv.

So, Soren, care to give us any hints? I've already registered my interest in testing the game, after the amazing experience of getting to test Beyond the Sword :)!

Aussie.

At least he can't make or influence any more Civ games (SMAC to Civ3 was such a downgrade). Brian Reynolds was much better influence in Firaxis than Sorensen.

At least he can't make or influence any more Civ games (SMAC to Civ3 was such a downgrade). Brian Reynolds was much better influence in Firaxis than Sorensen.

Soren wasn't lead designer on Civ3, he was a programmer first and designer after the company split. He didn't do the primary design of Civ3. Might pay to get your Civ history right mate. ;)

Even if Soren had been the designer, which he wasn't, the issues with Civ3 were largely due to Brian Reynolds leaving over half-way through it's development (or at least that's my recollection). Plus, if Rise of Nations is anything to go by, then Brian Reynolds influence couldn't have been too great!

Aussie.

Are you saying Civ4 is a good game? Then I got news for you. Soren Johnson designed Civ4!

I won't say too much about it (you can find out the details for yourself by joining), but I will say that it is web-based, and supports multiplayer

Why no details? I don't want to sign up on some website only to find out that I'm not interested in the project.

Same here, I would like to know what this is all about without filling up my inbox with yet more spam.

Looks very, very boring and simple to be honest. It's just like any other browser game. If you are waiting for civ5 or something remotely close to civ4, then you should look else where.

There are 3 games:
Conquests is, I believe, the least finished of the three and reminds of Risk.
Tactics is, well, a tactical game but right now it's not really good in my opinion. Battle of Wesnoth is somewhat similar but much better and nicer.
Kingdoms is a cards-game which I find extremely fun. It needs balancing, but it's really good.

Top Bottom