Spherical Map?

Robmonster

Chieftain
Morning all,

I'm sure I remember seeing a video of Civ5 whereby if you zoomed your game map out far enough it started going spherical, making a proper globe effect.

Is there a way to turn that on, as my Civ5 doesn't seem to do that when I zoom out.

R

That is a feature from civ IV, unfortunately not in Civ V. I miss it too.

There we some who debated that hex would be great because you could make near spherical maps where you only needed a few pentagons to make it work, and these could be concealed at the poles.

I guess they decided it would be to hard to deal with.

This is yet another feature they left out of Civ V that I wish they had implemented, not necessary, but certainly the best visual

Perhaps in Civ VI. Those spherical maps in that thread look awesome. :)

It's kind of annoying that Civ 5 doesn't include this feature when hexes specifically allow for it over cylindrical maps in Civ 4. That isn't the only reason I like hexes though, they eliminate horizontal movement advantage for one.

Actually one of the features ive missed most from civ 4, it gave the game a feeling of scope and grandeur that i think civ 5 sorely lacks. It was only UI feature i know but civ 5 just feels like playing on a map while civ 4 felt like playing on an actual world.

I hope they expand on it in an expansion or sequel. A properly spherical world would allow travel over the poles or even an eccentric distribution of the continents (like a pangea continent with the north pole at its centre). It could also help spice up the late game by giving global warming more interesting ways to effect gameplay. Like opening up new polar travel and trade routes and revealing new resources to compete over.

Top Bottom