[SPOILER] All Starships Unlockables for Beyond Earth

I have mixed feelings as a whole because tech webs are not new, didn't Endless Legend have that? Cross promotional material isn't new either in fact, didn't Endless Legend & Dungeon of the Endless have that as well?

If you're talking about the bonuses for Endless Legend, all you get from owning Dungeon of the Endless is basically a new "space skin" for one of the factions. These are the Vaulters from the base game and these are the Mezari you get for owning Dungeon of the Endless. As you can see, they've got the exact same stats, they just have different-looking units and dialog during diplomacy. Which is more than can be said for the factions in Beyond Earth.

On the other hand, owning Endless Legend does give you a ship on Dungeon of the Endless that you couldn't get otherwise, but the devs have already announced that they're trying to find the best way to make it available to those who don't have any interest in Endless Legend. And again, that's more than you can say about 2K or Firaxis. You want that fancy new Ultrasonic Emitter or the Colonists in BE, then you'd better have Starships, and if you want to have stuff in Starships that isn't even content but just changing some numbers in the coding of the game (like being able to use two affinities at the same time or planets that get bonus resources), then you'd better have Beyond Earth because you're not getting those any other way.

Like all companies Firaxis has to keep up with the times or risk going under but I want to feel like I am buying Firaxis games not angry birds clone #619. If I want Endless Legend, I'll go buy Endless Legend with all the "cross connectivity" games as well as DLC and a forum exclusive avatar if I pay double and get the 'founders pack'! Sheeh! At least Firaxis haven't gone that far.

No, they've just sold you what's basically a reskin of Civilization V with less content and still had the gall to charge you $50 for the privilege. Meanwhile, the Endless Legend devs made a much better game, for which they're charging you less money and is already on its THIRD completely FREE mini-expansion that includes new minor factions, new quests, new victory conditions, fixes, balance changes, etc. etc.

And I'm sorry if I'm coming of as a bit aggressive, it's not like I'm angry at you or anyone. I'm just bitter at how Firaxis let themselves be schooled at their own game by a group of much less experienced devs just because they have one thing that Firaxis doesn't have anymore: a true love for the games they're making.

That's nothing strange. Validating local cache would restore original files, as well as updating to recent hotfix.

I've modified other files without that issue before, though.

No, they've just sold you what's basically a reskin of Civilization V with less content and still had the gall to charge you $50 for the privilege.
That's not what they did, no. I understand the assumption, but it's not exactly correct.

Civilisation V at release didn't have a huge amount of content. Civilisation V after three years of patching and two expansion packs has a lot more content.

BE is currently six months post-release (or thereabouts). It hasn't had any expansion packs yet. It has arguably more content than CiV did on release. It benefits from the mechanical improvements that were patched into CiV. It has better performance than CiV did at release (far, far better performance).

It has had two major patches which have introduced a number of significant game changes (and some minor pieces of content). The developers have promised a version "2.0" of the game in the coming months.

It shares a codebase with CiV, but that's about it. It recycles a small amount of the content (arctic tile art, and possibly some others, as well as diplomacy speech). Everything else is brand new. You call it a "reskin" but it all takes time to develop. The new models, animations, FX, UI, textures, you name it. That all took time and money.

To claim otherwise is either intentionally putting Firaxis down (and thus lying), or simply arguing from a position that you don't fully understand.

The unlockables we're seeing now were developed post-release, and were never promised with the base game. You are not entitled to them. If you really want them, use the modification.

Please stop derailing the thread - especially when you're already having that very same discussion in that other thread anyway.

I've modified other files without that issue before, though.
Yes, I've had that happen, too, sometimes it seems to ignore files for whatever reason. But it's not supposed to ignore these files and should normally revert these changes. Easiest way is to just keep backups of the edited files and overwrite the "fresh" files once you've verified the game cache via steam.

Another option is of course to create a little pseudo-dlc-mod for that.

It shares a codebase with CiV, but that's about it. It recycles a small amount of the content (arctic tile art, and possibly some others, as well as diplomacy speech). Everything else is brand new. You call it a "reskin" but it all takes time to develop. The new models, animations, FX, UI, textures, you name it. That all took time and money.
But it is fundamentally the kind of product that a talented modder could have released. The differences between Civ V and BE are, for example, far less significant than the differences between Civ IV and, for example, Fall From Heaven.

To be honest, I feel ripped off and I know I'm not the only one. There's a reason BE has such poor user reviews on Steam right now.

...I still can't believe they carried over every single animation bug from Civ V. They still haven't bothered to fix even one of those.

Moderator Action: This thread is about All Starships Unlockables for Beyond Earth. Please discuss that topic and do not further derail this thread.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Does the Ultrasonic Emitter passive ability degrades alien relationship?

Anyone found an answer for this yet? Also these can't be built, correct? But I'm guessing the aliens do attack it. Do you get one and when it's gone, it's gone?

Update:
This is a civilian unit that is killed instantly. It will need to be guarded by a military unit and has only 1 hex movement. It does 10 damage to aliens up to 2 hexes away and occasionally from 3 hexes away over water. Couldn't see a pattern to the 3 hex damage in my short test.

It doesn't appear to get XP, gain promotions or cause the aliens to attack any more than usual. This might suggest you can eliminate aliens without it affecting their opinion. When killed the aliens just disappear which might also suggest no harm has been done.

Definitely a support unit as it says. Not looking like it's worth giving up the free worker for except for maybe someone looking to be alien friendly but still have some way to get them out of the way. It's limited enough that it would probably work fine in the tech web and be buildable.

It's limited enough that it would probably work fine in the tech web and be buildable.

If interested, give this a try and let me know what you think:
Ultrasonic Emitter Mod :D

Moderator Action: Please move discussions about mods over to the Creation & Customization : Modding Discussion. This thread is about unlockable content within the base game of BE from having starships and nothing else.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Is there a way to do something similar for stuff in Starships that gets unlocked by things you do in BE? I've done all of that stuff already, but apparently since I got Starships after that, none of that counts for unlocking stuff...

Funny, I own both Starships and Beyond Earth and these haven't unlocked.

*Edit: NVM, see that you have to complete certain missions in Starships. Haven't played it that much.

Funny, I own both Starships and Beyond Earth and these haven't unlocked.

*Edit: NVM, see that you have to complete certain missions in Starships. Haven't played it that much.

I had an idea about sharing a save if that's possible for the unlocks as I can't win at starships at all.

I really hope Firaxis release the exlusive BE stuff on Starships in the future as DLC. I don't want to have to purchase that crappy spin-off title to get BE content.

I really hope Firaxis release the exlusive BE stuff on Starships in the future as DLC. I don't want to have to purchase that crappy spin-off title to get BE content.

It's not a bad game it's just hard even on the lowest setting.

Pretty sure you just have to make a quick change to some files to access it.

Even the maps? Because that would be kinda handy.

Probably should have already done that a while ago, but I now edited that information into the first post (+added the part about unlocking the maps) so it's easier to find.

You know, I felt annoy at the idea of locking away interesting content (beyond some cosmetic stuff) behind another game and it certainly feels like corporate command had its greasy hands all over it... but you know why it actually doesn't annoy me that much?

Firaxis never actually advertised it, in fact, they went out of their way to keep the interaction between the two games secret (apart from there being one) and even now we know, it doesn't exactly say "buy Starships to unlock the latest content in Beyond Earth!".

I don't know why, but that makes me think it's more of a misjudged way to reward fan loyalty than trying to squeeze money out of it. Of course, there's every chance I'm wrong and it's a sign of things to come. :(

This.

If I hadn't come here than I definitely wouldn't have known that there were even cross-promotional bonuses. Neither of the games' advertising plays it up, and I'm not even sure if they really say anything about it at all, not even when you get in the game. Not even when you click to sign up for a my2k account does it tell you there are promotional bonuses until after you've finished and you go back to the menu.

If it really were just a cash grab then I'm sure they would've pushed it harder.

It's not a bad game it's just hard even on the lowest setting.

It's hard at first, but it has several highly exploitable builds. Like leveling up only engines, stealth, and cannons and building the stealth wonder. Games a cakewalk then. I'd highly recommend it for only 15 dollars though.

Top Bottom