• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Squats, Bench, Deadlift: This is your fitness thread

After some peer pressure tried to chest press some 100lb dumbbells. I failed.

Managed to press 90lb dbs for three reps (w liftoff help)

Not too bad for skinny bastard who could barely do a single pullup until his mid-30s

Had to do my gym workout today without shoes. I recently bought new shoes for a wedding, and they chafed the back of my feet so badly that I didn't want to risk it with shoes. Luckily no staff was there to tell me off ^^. I might try to run on the treadmill on Sunday without shoes (can't do that outside here...).

I recently also managed to get the highest weight for myself on squat and bench press (102.5 and 62.5 kg; 85 kg body weight). My deadlift is currently at 110 kg, which is relatively seen my strongest, but not absolutely (that was with 130 kg, but I was around 15 kg heavier). Gotta get there again :strength:.

Those dress shoes, if they fit right, will eventually become comfortable if you wear them enough ;D

That might be, but I have to wear them in 1 week, and my feet aren't healed yet, so no time to wear them more.
Tomorrow I'll go to the shop where I bought them, and will ask if they have...er... .stretching spray (apparently a thing) or shoe stretchers. Anyways need to pop buy there, turns out I don't have a fitting shirt anymore.

EDIT: And at the topic, until everyhting there's alright I'll have to work out without shoes. Worked well tonight, so not a problem.

TIL: If the adductor muscle still hurts, don't try to do squats.
I should have remembered from the last time, when I first thought I'd pass out, then that I'd need to order a taxi because I'd not be able to cycle back, and that I was doubting if I could manage to get down the stairs. Luckily the pain subsided after 5-10 minutes. This time wasn't as bad, but I'll definitely remember.

I have come to a revelation of mine: CORE CORE CORE work. It is all in the center. Soccer players do this since years now. But in Gyms all the MANLYTM men do arms and only women center. Stupid. And the center will actually be useful in daily life, all the time!

And of course....

At the end of day, if you know what I mean. [pimp]

Bought a gravel bike recently; Specialized Diverge. Did more than 400 km last week. Like getting a new girlfriend if you know what I mean.

Bought a gravel bike recently; Specialized Diverge. Did more than 400 km last week. Like getting a new girlfriend if you know what I mean.
As in a new girlfriend will also make your butt sore? Fair play.

Now entering that awkward season where it's too cold to roller ski but not cold enough for snow.

150% deadlift, first time today. Not sure if one of the knees liked that, but overall no real issues :strength:.
Guess I need to ramp up the squat, only at125% there.

I was a bit embarrassed today though, watching a definitely lighter and shorter Asian guy benching 50% more than I did :/.

After some peer pressure tried to chest press some 100lb dumbbells. I failed.

Managed to press 90lb dbs for three reps (w liftoff help)

Not too bad for skinny bastard who could barely do a single pullup until his mid-30s
Don't worry about the weight or pushing yourself overly hard. It's about the reps. Find a weight you are comfortable with doing 12 reps and at least 3 to 4 sets. 12 is the magic number. If that is 15lb dumbbells (30lbs) or 20lbsdbs (40lbs), or whatever, just do what feels comfortable. I love dumbbell presses - it is a great exercise done right.

I was a bit embarrassed today though, watching a definitely lighter and shorter Asian guy benching 50% more than I did :/.
Never feel embarrassed. Treat weight lifting more like conditioning. Focus on reps and form, not strength or comparisons. Building muscle is one of the best ways to lose fat. Some guys have been lifting for years and focusing on maxxing. I've been lifting weights since I was 10 years old, but have totally changed my regimen since my younger "i wanna be like arnie" days :D

Last edited:
Don't worry about the weight or pushing yourself overly hard. It's about the reps. Find a weight you are comfortable with doing 12 reps and at least 3 to 4 sets. 12 is the magic number. If that is 15lb dumbbells (30lbs) or 20lbsdbs (40lbs), or whatever, just do what feels comfortable. I love dumbbell presses - it is a great exercise done right.

Never feel embarrassed. Treat weight lifting more like conditioning. Focus on reps and form, not strength or comparisons. Building muscle is one of the best ways to lose fat. Some guys have been lifting for years and focusing on maxxing. I've been lifting weights since I was 10 years old, but have totally changed my regimen since my younger "i wanna be like arnie" days :D
Well, you're wrong, weight is important too :p. Because I wanna do it :D.

Today I pulled (maybe strong word, but anyways) a back muscle, the usual one from the military press, so that's not brilliant.

Top Bottom