This is an Idea for how to make a Stack v. Stack Combat work in a Civ model

Any Stack (including a single unit) would have

Total Str#
.....which is the sum of
Melee Str #
Mounted Str #
Ranged Str #
etc.
[A single unit would only have one of these types, the # for a stack would be the sum of all units in it... and the "stack stats" would only display the one's that weren't 0]

And a
v. enemy Melee Str #
v. enemy Mounted Str #
etc.
[I guess a Single unit Could have multiple ones of these... but probably not, the # for a stack would be the sum of all units in it... and the "stack stats" would only display the one's that weren't 0]

And a
Terrain/Situation 1 Str bonus
Terrain/Situation 2 Str bonus
etc.
[I guess a Single unit Could have multiple ones of these... but probably not, the # for a stack would be the sum of all units in it... and the "stack stats" would only display the one's that weren't 0]

Those unit specific/stack specific bonuses would NOT be % bonuses but fixed numbers

So the
"Combat Strength" of a Stack in a particular Combat

Is
Total Str
+ Minimum of (MY v. Enemy Melee Str), (ENEMY Melee Str)
+ Minimum of (MY v. Enemy Mounted Str), (ENEMY Mounted Str)
etc.
+ Terrain/Situation 1 Bonus Str
+ Terrain/Situation 2 Bonus Str
---------------------------------
+ any % bonuses from Terrain/Situation that apply to all units

There would be No "ranged combat"

Then "Combat Str" of my Stack is compared to the "Combat Str" of the enemy Stack
and
Damage is done equally to all the units in the stack based on those Combat Str.

So for example
Spear, melee, Str 7 +7 v. Mounted
Sword, melee, Str 11
Horseman, mounted, Str 11 -3 in city
Archer, Ranged, Str 4 +6 v. Melee

So then an Army would be composed of multiple units and the values would add up

2 Spears, 1 Sword, and 2 Archers would be

Str 33 (8 Range Str, 25 Melee Str)
+14 v. Mount
+12 v. Melee

The list could get long IF the army/stack has a wide variety of types of units AND a wide variety of different types of bonuses, but you would usually just be looking at the Total Str.

The amount of the "v." bonus would be limited to the Str of that unit in the enemy

So if our 2 spear, 1 Sword, 2 Archer Army "A" attacked an Army "B" of 1 Horse +2 Spears (Str 25[11 mount, 14 melee]+14 v. Mount, -3 in city)

Then it would have
Str 33 (base)
(11 enemy mount, +14 v. mount) ->+11
(14 enemy melee, +12 v. melee) ->+12

for a Combat Str of 56

and then Army "B" would have
Str 25 (base)
(0 enemy mount, +14 v. mount) ->+0

for a Combat Str of 25

The damage done in the battle would be
Smaller # 50% of the bigger army Combat Str, or the smaller army Combat Str

So in this case it would be the smaller of (56/2=28, and 25)= 25 damage

So ALL units in Army A would lose 25/56 of their hitpoints (affecting their Str and bonuses)
ALL units in Army B would lose 25/25 of their hitpoints (all of them)

Then just
Make sure there are good ZOC to stop Stacks from zooming by each other.

----edited for simpler version---------------

I think they should have a stacking/no stacking option. With the stacking option being the same as Civ IV.

This seems quite fiddly and complex. As it is now, combat is really intuitive. You see exactly what is likely to occur in one single bar for each unit. Bringing in different 'roles' would seem to unnecessarily complicate the issue.

This seems quite fiddly and complex. As it is now, combat is really intuitive. You see exactly what is likely to occur in one single bar for each unit. Bringing in different 'roles' would seem to unnecessarily complicate the issue.

True.. I've come up with a simpler version.

I does look simpler, but I still don't really understand it. If the system is not easily understandable, then isn't going to function all that well in the game.

I does look simpler, but I still don't really understand it. If the system is not easily understandable, then isn't going to function all that well in the game.

Basically the bonuses for units are NOT % based but # based
So you can just SUM all the bonuses that apply (and the base Strengths)

1 Spearman gives +7 v. Mounted, whether that 1 spearman is by himself OR in a stack with 30 other units.

How much of a v. mounted bonus the stack gets depends on the mounted strength of the enemy

Basically the bonuses for units are NOT % based but # based
So you can just SUM all the bonuses that apply (and the base Strengths)

1 Spearman gives +7 v. Mounted, whether that 1 spearman is by himself OR in a stack with 30 other units.

How much of a v. mounted bonus the stack gets depends on the mounted strength of the enemy

I think it works best the way it was in Civ IV where the best of one type of offensive unit was put up against the best matching defensive unit and combats were done one at a time by the computer.

I think it works best the way it was in Civ IV where the best of one type of offensive unit was put up against the best matching defensive unit and combats were done one at a time by the computer.

By having unit v. unit combat instead of stack v. stack (which is what civ 4 had, stack v. stack was equivalent to unit v. unit.) the combat results are complicated to figure out.

ie 3 spears and a Horse v. 2 swords and 2 archers.... having Stack v. Stack instead of unit v. unit makes the results more predictable and understandable... it makes combat more transparent.

It also makes it seem more realistic..not just a send down your best warrior and we send down our best but both Armies attack and all my units can support each other.

Finally it would be simpler. and faster
Stack of 10 units v. Stack of 7 units = 1 click, not 7-10 clicks.

Admittedly, you couldn't retreat 1/2 way through a battle, but you could see the likely results of the Entire battle to begin with and make a decision based on that.

Top Bottom