Start in old world?

evilgreg

Chieftain
Remember in Civ IV on terra maps, the civs would start in the old world, so the americas would be discovered and able to be colonized later in time. Is there an option or mod for this in Civ V? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

Search for a mod called something like Legendary Earth

It's a huge earth map, with fixed starting positions and only old world civs, so america only has city states.
I played it and found it good

On a "terra" map, all civs start in the "old world", most CSs are in the "new world".

I'm not familiar with "CSs"...what does this stand for?

So am I correct in assuming that if I play a "continents" map type it will start all civs in the old world? There is no longer a "terra" map type in CiV.

I'm not familiar with "CSs"...what does this stand for?

So am I correct in assuming that if I play a "continents" map type it will start all civs in the old world? There is no longer a "terra" map type in CiV.

yes there is a terra map type. look in the advanced options (there are lots of map scripts that don't show up on the basic game setup screen).

yes there is a terra map type. look in the advanced options (there are lots of map scripts that don't show up on the basic game setup screen).

Word. Thanks dude I'll check it out tonight.

I'll also check out legendary earth, thanks kaltorak.

The problem with the unmodded earth maps is that they don't have fixed positions. So you may start with england in affrica

The problem with the unmodded earth maps is that they don't have fixed positions. So you may start with england in affrica

He's not asking for an Earth map, he's asking for a Terra map.

I play them a lot, basically you have two major land masses, and all civs start on one of them, with barbarians/city states on the other landmass. Once you get the tech to cross oceans, people start to colonise the 'new world' continent, as it was when America was discovered.

I really like the style of map, as it makes the renaissance era a lot more interesting with a totally new dynamic. I didn't realise you could use scripts to enable it in this so thanks for the tip thwump. :)

AH I see. Yes I played terra maps too.

I don't know exactly why, but I haven't seen colonizing the new continent much worth it on civ5. I discovered astronomy on 900AD and settled 2 cities there. But techs were advancing far too fast and cities there developing/building settlers/improvements too slowly to be worth it.

AH I see. Yes I played terra maps too.

I don't know exactly why, but I haven't seen colonizing the new continent much worth it on civ5. I discovered astronomy on 900AD and settled 2 cities there. But techs were advancing far too fast and cities there developing/building settlers/improvements too slowly to be worth it.

Yeah, build times maybe need some rebalancing, as does the happiness/culture penalty of having a large empire, especially on bigger maps. I imagine we'll see a lot of tinkering with these in the first major patch.

He's not asking for an Earth map, he's asking for a Terra map.

I play them a lot, basically you have two major land masses, and all civs start on one of them, with barbarians/city states on the other landmass. Once you get the tech to cross oceans, people start to colonise the 'new world' continent, as it was when America was discovered.

I really like the style of map, as it makes the renaissance era a lot more interesting with a totally new dynamic. I didn't realise you could use scripts to enable it in this so thanks for the tip thwump. :)

Exactly. I don't want a recreation of Earth (although sometimes it's fun). I do love having the "new world" to colonize and compete with other civs at, adds a great addition to strategy. I really love the idea of it.

This whole time I was playing on continents and I couldn't figure out why they took terra out...

Is there a map script that has three continents: two populatated with civs and the third one being the "new world?" In other words, is there a map that is a combination of "continents" and "terra" maps?

I like the idea of terra maps; but I don't like every civ starting on one continent.

Thanks in advance

Side note, you asked what “CS” means… it stands for City States.

Top Bottom