Starting In An Advanced Era?

rover6695

Prince
What's your thoughts on this? I've tried it before, I mean I kind of like the notion of speeding things up...it is a bit of a drop-off going from the information era to the stone age...but it just seems really un-natural and I just do it at 4,000 BC.
You?

Classical starts tend to imbalance the civs even more than usual. Medieval starts heavily favour wonder spamming.

The other eras seem fair, though nuclear weapons are kind of a big deal.

I'm not sure what the question is. Try it out if you want?

Haven't done this in a while but if my memory serves this is why; Don't you still start out with a Settler and 1 Unit? And when you settle it's still a 1 Pop city? I think that's correct, and that's what has kept me from doing this. Starting in the Info Age with a 1 pop city? WTF? I think that the game should give you an extra Settler for each 1.5 Era and an extra pop per city for each Era. It just seems too unrealistic that my people know how to build roads, perform irrigation, and construction massive factories, but there's only 1 family in the entire country.

Your recollection is correct ... for an ancient era start. When you start in later eras, you get extra settlers, extra initial population, extra military units, workers, pre-built buildings, etc. Give it a try.

Your recollection is correct ... for an ancient era start. When you start in later eras, you get extra settlers, extra initial population, extra military units, workers, pre-built buildings, etc. Give it a try.

I stand corrected. Dang, I don't know what I was playing that gave me that memory then.

Starting at a later era will lessen the gap between you and the AIs at the Diety level I think.

For one thing you get immediate access to all the early resources and workers too so

I've had some enjoyable medieval-era start games. It's not something I do often, but it can be fun to shake things up a bit and get past the sometimes very slow early game.

Do you usually do this?
What era works?

I rarely do, but I'm a creature of habit. Try the current GOTM (#132). Renaissance Era start is a nice compromise -- quick start, but still early enough to enjoy antique units.

Top Bottom