Starting out as a civ modder?

DrakenKin

Prince
I am in part a web programmer (php/mysql/js/xml/etc)... And I would like to start modding civ. I'll be heading to the modding tutorials forum soon, but I would like some advice on how you can "find information" first.

Is there a reference site where I can find all the functions, variable descriptions and such? (something like php.net for php)

My first project is a small mod that displays somewhere on the HUD exactly how many more free units I can make... So I need to figure out which variables that are involved, and the formula to calculate the total number of free units you get (from civics but also from your empire size).

1) How do I go about location such information?
2) Is there a sub forum on CFC dedicated to questions about modding? (the modding tutorials forum didn't seem like the right place for it, and neither does general discussion..)

1) How do I go about location such information?

If you did not start with python, i would have said: Common sense. The structure of the civ files is mostly very clear, and with a bit thinking you can find everything.

For the python: Well, also a bit common sense. The python files are also (what i know) good structured.

This is the version for the patch 1.60 (i think).
This here is the current one for 3.19.

Top Bottom