Steam Q&A and FAQ

I've got civ V on steam and normally my internet runs smoothly and there's never been a problem.
I've played it oflline before without having to sign into steam, so that means my game is "registered" right?
Except now when my internet is going dodgy and I can't connect, I can't go into offline mode. This has happened a few times, i sign into steam when my internet evetually starts working again, thinking that from now on I'll be able to play offline whenever i want. But nope, it says I need to sign into steam first. (this has happened a few times now, and I've only ever played it on my laptop).
I'm confused, what do I need to do so that I will always be able to play in offline mode?

I've got civ V on steam and normally my internet runs smoothly and there's never been a problem.
I've played it oflline before without having to sign into steam, so that means my game is "registered" right?
Except now when my internet is going dodgy and I can't connect, I can't go into offline mode. This has happened a few times, i sign into steam when my internet evetually starts working again, thinking that from now on I'll be able to play offline whenever i want. But nope, it says I need to sign into steam first. (this has happened a few times now, and I've only ever played it on my laptop).
I'm confused, what do I need to do so that I will always be able to play in offline mode?

Disable network and start Steam again.

When I run the Verify Integrity of Game Cache I always get: "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired" and then steam downloads some file. I have to assume its the always the same file but not being told what files its downloading that just a guess. I only even ran the integrity check because after downloading Viking and Maps from steam the game (in game) still showed that they were available for download (that notice in yellow). Well today the available notice has now vanished(as it does after all downloads) but running the integrity check still yields the above failed message. The game seems to run fine (DX9, never could get the recommended dx10 or 11 to scale down- but thats been the case since day one) but I can't help but wonder if that one file it keeps downloading is somehow important. Do all of you get clean bills of health when you run the integrity check? I've contacted steam and we are only on the first response (run Steam as Admin. - no difference) so they may yet pull through but I'd thought I check to see if any here have had similar experience or and ideas.

There are reports from other people, that they've run the integrity check for several dozens of times and everytime a file had to get reacquired. So that's not unusual.
If you don't have any problems else, then it's probably the best to ignore it.
Else...integrity check into delirium.

@DLC advertisement: It does not vanish after you've bought it, but it has a hardcoded endtime when it vanishes.

Can anyone tell me why, after playing in offline mode for several months, I cannot get Civ V to play, online or offline? I did run a RegistryFix app just before this happened. But, I thought that was supposed to help your puter not wreck it. Anyway, when I try for offline mode, I get the message that the servers are too busy. When I try online, I get Steam and it just sits there and does nothing, and it will let me do nothing. I can't go to the library or anything. When I try to delete it I get the message that the program is not responding and it wants to send an error message to MS.

Also, can I unload Civ V and reload it? It says on the box that you can't re-use the key code.

Thanx, Freedude

Can anyone tell me why, after playing in offline mode for several months, I cannot get Civ V to play, online or offline? I did run a RegistryFix app just before this happened. But, I thought that was supposed to help your puter not wreck it. Anyway, when I try for offline mode, I get the message that the servers are too busy. When I try online, I get Steam and it just sits there and does nothing, and it will let me do nothing. I can't go to the library or anything. When I try to delete it I get the message that the program is not responding and it wants to send an error message to MS.

Also, can I unload Civ V and reload it? It says on the box that you can't re-use the key code.

Thanx, Freedude

Most likely RegistryFix screwed up something (which isnt exactly rare for such programs).

You will most likely need to reinstall Steam and maybe Civ5. if you have fast internet and no data caps, just uninstall Civ5 and Steam, after that Install Steam , login to your acccount, go to Library tab and there just double click on Civ5 to Start installation from Steam servers.

Instead of redownloading entire Civ5 you can backup (before uninstall) its folder in Steam/SteamApps/Common and after you reinstall Steam just put Civ5 folder back where it was and tell Steam to Verify Integrity of Game cache (right click on Civ5 in Library, go to properties, Local Files - there click on Verify integrity ....).

No offense, but programns like RegistryFix should only be used when there is reason for it and only by people who know how to operate such programs without causing unintended damage.

Is there a way to play CivV when not connected to the internet without signing out of steam the last time I turn off my computer.

For specific examples:

-If my internet goes out, I turn on my computer, and steam tries to log into my account, but it cant since I have no internet connection.

-When in an airport or hotel or car ride with no internet, I turn on my laptop and am unable to start CiV since no internet connection.

The best (and unacceptable) I came up with was to put steam in offline mode each time you turn off your computer, to ensure you can play it next tiem. This seems tedious and unnecessary.

I feel this is a flaw in the design of the Steam process. Users have paid money for their game, and after registering the game via Steam, should be able to play whenever they want without having to log into steam each time they turn on their computer.

To the powers that be is there a reason you cant just enable Civ 5 all the time after the initial registration/download from steam and require internet access for dlc or to access the steam community?

So I have been out of town and have been playing CivV on my notebook, and I have to keep entering different stupid steam passwords each time I try to play the game/reboot my computer. This was an attempt to give CiV another shot, and instead of making the game better/easier to play there is another password I have to enter which is supposedly for "my protection," (why would I care if someone else was trying to play CiV on my computer?). I know it is a minor nitpick, but seriously. Steam is annoying as hell. I hate it, and because of it I won't be trying to play CiV for another few months. :mad:

I'm assuming you mean SteamGuard, its to prevent people from stealing your steam account. You can disable it in your settings, it should remember that you already entered the password on that computer though.

hi! i just had a power outage. when i tried to access steam, it lost my password info. when i received their email with special access instructions, there wasn't any. when i tried to get the welcome letter resent, no joy. and this all started because steam said i was trying to access from a new computer... not so! any help you can give, especially talking with a live person would be much appreciated. my emaill is acheslog[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com.

1. Do you remember your password? If not you can use STeam password recovery feature - if even that doesnt help you will need to contact Steam Support.
2. If you remember your password and its just asking to authenticate "new" computer, email you recieved should contain 4 letter code which should be used as verification during login.

Steam dont have "live" support, so if you need to contact them you will need to create Steam Support account (its separated from Steam and Steam Forum accounts for security reasons) here: https://support.steampowered.com/ and after that submit Steam Support ticket here: https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

Hello, quick question: I would like to own Every DLC available through Steam for Civilization V. But there is so many out there now that it confuse me. Which pack/Bundle should i buy to maximize my money?

Thank you.

Hello, quick question: I would like to own Every DLC available through Steam for Civilization V. But there is so many out there now that it confuse me. Which pack/Bundle should i buy to maximize my money?

Thank you.

Your best bet is probably to wait til Steam has a sale for at least 66% off Civ5. When the game goes on sale, usually the DLC are on sale for the same discount. (Last sale was July 22nd 2011.) Next sale will probably be some time before Christmas, but if not almost certainly at the Christmas sale.

There is no single bundle for all DLC (yet), but there are a few bundles within those DLCs which will save you a bit.

First there's the bundle of "Cradle of Civilization" maps which personally I think is a waste of money but it's your choice.
Secondly there's the Denmark and Explorer's Combo Pack.
Finally there's the Korea and Ancient Wonders pack.
All the other DLCs are currently sold only separately.

It's worth mentioning there is very likely to be more DLC on the way, so if you wanted to get them all in one bundle, now is not the time to do it. Also, it's likely that somewhere down the road when they finish making DLC there will be a "Game of the Year" edition or something similar which will include all DLCs (and at a much nicer price), if you're happy to wait.

Top Bottom