Step by step guide to test your civ mod?

Yottakon

Chieftain
I may have asked this before, but I still haven't figured out how to run my mod. Yes, I know there could be errors in my mod, but can someone at least tell me how to actually build and test the mod, step by step?

If you're using ModBuddy, it should be a relatively simple process of going to the Menu and selecting Build > Build Solution, then firing up Civ5 and enabling it once ModBuddy is finished.

Yeah, that's the part I'm stuck with. I don't know how to enable it. Some people say to make a MOD folder, some say that I have to go to settings and make it build in the CIV 5 folder itself, but none of that works.

When ModBuddy builds your mod, it should place a copy in your MODS folder automatically.

All you need to do is to load Civ5, and click on "Mods" on the main menu, then accept the little warning, and go through your list of mods, clicking the little 'checkmark' circle on the right side of any mod you want to enable. After that, just hit Next > Single Player > Set Up Game > etc. as normal.

When I do build, it creates a new folder in my Firaxis Modbuddy folder called Packages, and the mod would be placed there. I can't find any mod folder in the Civ 5 folder. If I manually create the folder and add the mod there, it doesn't work.

That's because that's not the folder it goes in.

The packages folder that gets created within your ModBuddy folder is purely for ModBuddy to place the 'packaged up' version of your mod (typically the civ5mod file) and is used for uploading onto the Steam Workshop and such.

By 'Civ 5 folder" I also assume you're meaning the Civ5 folder inside the steamapps folder, which is not where these go. Mods are not typically to be placed into the 'main' Civ5 folder, as that is where all the official files and components exist.

The Mods folder, and the mods it contains, should reside in your User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS directory. ModBuddy should place a copy of your built mod here automatically.

Finally someone tells me what I've been doing wrong. Thank you for your help.

Top Bottom