Stop complaining against AI ?

It's been said a couple of times now that other strategy games have much better AI than Civ V. I'm curious to know which titles are being referred to. Not that I disagree. I'm sure that there is better AI out there.

OTOH, I find it hard to judge what qualifies as good AI. Perhaps it's easier to say what bad AI is.

Cmon, good AI is much less hard to program thing than it may look like. Firaxis just need to give developers better timeline or better payment. I think they have much better brain resourses than requred for creating really good 1 second per turn AI. And I'm looking on this as programmer.

Well, there's two different parts to the AI:

-Unit movement/tactics/battle strategy - This isn't easy to program (it's theoretically more complex than say chess), but the AI in Civ is exceptionally bad at this. As an example I'd say something like Battle for Wesnoth has a significantly better AI in this regard.

-Economy/High-level planning - This is even more difficult in many regards - deciding a victory condition, evaluating threats, balancing military with expansion with science with happiness, etc. - this is all very complicated in a game like civ, and very hard to program. They could certain hard build strategies to some degree, but it would also be a bit boring if every time AI Babylon created exactly 3 tall cities and rushed towards the science victory.

Top Bottom