Stop converting my cities

roscoepfox

Chieftain
Just once I'd like to ask a civ to stop converting my cities and have them say "ok" and then actually STOP converting my cities. Has anyone EEVER had them stop doing this upon request?

Yeah a bunch would stop in Civ V. Some wouldnt. All depended

If they're pursuing religious victory in Civ VI though good luck

Let them waste all of those "Religion Points" simply by maintaining at least ONE Inquisitor per cities (at all times)... if my estimates are right -- waves after waves of such attempts can be kept in check relatively easy.
After all, *YOUR* religion numbers can be seen.. preventing conversion should be done when competing Religions are tied since each Inquisitor removal Actions clears the deck back to your dominant citizens.

BUT... sadly, if you don't have a Religion -- you're screwed, unless (well)... WAR!

Japan did stopped. Egypt gave me the laugh. Then I converted them and managed to kill all their missionaries with my own. Then she stopped converting anyone.

That was annoying, I expected for her to start evangelizing the True Truth.

And after they break their promise they have no effect nobody else denounces them.

Just remember to have a couple of Apostles, and Inquisitors nearby cities and holy sites to kill invading missionaries and remember to rotate them back to holy sites and sleep to heal.

Just once I'd like to ask a civ to stop converting my cities and have them say "ok" and then actually STOP converting my cities. Has anyone EEVER had them stop doing this upon request?

In my last game I asked Ghandi to stop converting to my cities and he never did it again.
There could be several reasons for that.
1. He actually kept his promise, because that's his personality.
2. He discovered Sumer(ia) which was a little bit closer to his borders. (Since I asked him to stop he directed all his apostles to Sumer)
3. He was afraid of my military and that's the reason why he kept his promise.

My answer to the AI religious spam is an army of Apostles that just chill in my cities and kill any heathen Apostles that show up. Considering the sheer amount of missionaries that get sent my way, it's a great religious XP farm. I have told the AI to stop but generally they only get the message after I've slaughtered all of their religious units in the name of the one true faith.

And after they break their promise they have no effect nobody else denounces them.
It seems flawed to me. I "break" my promise to move every single unit from anywhere near the border and every other leader in the game hates me for all eternity. Tomyris (who, ironically, hates backstabbers) repeatedly breaks her promise to stop converting my cities and... *crickets*.

I'm not sure why we even have the option to ask them to stop when it doesn't seem to lead to anything. The Holy War casus belli doesn't hinge upon a broken promise, right?

Asked Rome 3 times and 3 times he said sure and still continued... I'm OK with them breaking a promise, but there should be a clear indication of it and I should have a casus belli or something.

You do get a CB, if you have the civic unlocked to grant it. You need to denounce then 5 turns later you can attack.

A simple technique I found for dealing with waves of apostles from other civs was to leave a few apostles on holy sites in my territory. The AI would repeatedly attack these apostles even though they healed ~30 points of damage per turn from standing on holy ground. One apostle would passively take out waves of enemy apostles suppressing their religion and boosting my own.

The one downside to this technique is the AoE conversion effect can cause neighboring cities of othe AI to get converted. In one game, I was neighbous with Hojo. He kept sending apostles to their death in my territory. Then he got angry because the resulting religious combat converted his own cities.

You do get a CB, if you have the civic unlocked to grant it. You need to denounce then 5 turns later you can attack.
You get a casus belli from the broken promise or just the Holy War casus belli from converting your city?

A simple technique I found for dealing with waves of apostles from other civs was to leave a few apostles on holy sites in my territory. The AI would repeatedly attack these apostles even though they healed ~30 points of damage per turn from standing on holy ground. One apostle would passively take out waves of enemy apostles suppressing their religion and boosting my own.

The one downside to this technique is the AoE conversion effect can cause neighboring cities of othe AI to get converted. In one game, I was neighbous with Hojo. He kept sending apostles to their death in my territory. Then he got angry because the resulting religious combat converted his own cities.

Similarly if you need to protect your low-health apostles for some reason you can hide them under a military unit and the AI cannot attack them. 1UPT is such a "great" system.

Can you clarify on that? Because I was pretty damn far on the civics tree and I didn't get anything. Double checked every time he continued converting.

To add more detail, does it come to play (the broken promise thing) when they continue spreading or when / if they actually manage to convert another city? Because they didn't IIRC manage to convert another city due to my inquisitor spam, but they sure tried. Missionaries are just so weak and worthless a unit there's almost no point in buying them. Second detail, does him being a declared friend make any difference? Making it possible for him to get away with that kind of crap?

To add more detail, does it come to play (the broken promise thing) when they continue spreading or when / if they actually manage to convert another city? Because they didn't IIRC manage to convert another city due to my inquisitor spam, but they sure tried. Missionaries are just so weak and worthless a unit there's almost no point in buying them. Second detail, does him being a declared friend make any difference? Making it possible for him to get away with that kind of crap?

Unfortunately, I'm not a good enough player to create test scenarios the way you describe. I haven't yet beat prince. :|

What I can say is, if the game tells you they broke their promise, you can denounce and 5 turns later use the "Religious War" CB to attack with a reduced warmonger penalty. I'd probably use that to kill as many religious units as possible, then invade their territory and pillage all of the holy sites.

Similarly if you need to protect your low-health apostles for some reason you can hide them under a military unit and the AI cannot attack them. 1UPT is such a "great" system.

That sounds like an exploit, much like how you can surround cities with units to prevent any kind of conversion.

If I were one of the devs, I'd look at religious units having their own "unit layer", independent of the military, when at peace. That way religious attacks couldn't be blocked by military units. Starting a war would disable that mechanism, allowing military to attack religious units.

Last edited:
Why can't we have the old design where religious units lose their strength if they stay in your territory when open borders are not enacted?

I wish they'd ask you to let missionaries in with the option of closing your borders to missionaries -- IRL, missionaries were never just able to wander freely. I hated in Civ V having to find ways to block missionaries at my borders with random units, although at least the Great Prophets aren't quite as broken anymore

That's like asking why we don't have military unit attrition when troops enter your borders during a war.

Tried one game with religion, asked japan to stop and they did.
Now I am a pagan it seems I cannot ask them to stop... is that right?
I would love to have an atheist option that would allow me to say stop... a bit like in Russia in the brutal early days of communism.

Top Bottom