Stop telling me that I lied about not purchasing land because I never promised!

It's a bug as soon as the AI asks you to stop it considers tiles bought by culture as bought tiles, thus you are either:
breaking your promise
continuing to do what they don't want you to do.
regardless of your response

Necro thread!

It's a bug as soon as the AI asks you to stop it considers tiles bought by culture as bought tiles

That’s not correct. It’s a “bug” inasmuch it is a demand to stop, not a promise request.

If you don’t agree to the promise, you take a diplomacy hit. If you buy land in the next 30 turns, you take a diplomacy hit.

If you agree to the promise, but you buy land in the next 30 turns, you take a big diplomacy hit.

I think there's a glitch in the logic. I had promised Persia not to buy tiles or settle nearby since I had just dropped a city on his border and was done growing that way. We soon ended up at war (he sent one too many prophets at me AND stole a tech) and I beat the snot out of him. He begged for mercy and gave me two cities to buy me off. Then two turns later he wined that I had broken my expansion promise.

WEll you did get 2 cities next to him!

On serious note I believe there are a know bug which consider buying ties to be broken promise even if you told him to bug off. You take diplo hit 2 times as result, first when you tell him to bug off and then when he think you broke promise. So, it is actually better to agree and break, unless you got penalty only one's.

I understand when they tell me that they are angry because I won't stop purchasing land, this doesn't bother me, but they shouldn't tell me I'm lying about it.

So, if we cut to the chase, you just want him to stop calling you a liar.

I suppose if the Devs have time they could correct it to something like, "We really don`t like you purchasing land. We demand you stop it!"

But it`s really a small thing.:)

I've had it happen to me twice. I will refuse to promise to stop buying land as a principle, always. I never make it. And sometimes, later the AI will claim that I "broke my promise to not buy land". It is annoying, I consider it a bug because the AI explicitly says you "broke a promise" when you didn't make one. I understand that refusing also makes them mad, but the OP is talking about this case. When the AI claims you made promises you didn't. It only occurs with the request to stop purchasing land. Incidentally, you are also screwed if you promise not to acquire land because your cities will do it on their own. You fail and get the broken promise neg no matter what you do sometimes. When the bug occurs it never stops and recurs about every 50 turns.

I had a game with a neighbor that LOVED me and every 50 turns he would pop back up complaining about the broken promise that I never made. Later when there were no adjacent squares to acquire, ironically, it would even say I completed the promise (that I never made). when this happened the exact next turn the broken promise would reset as a bright red neg and he would pop back up complaining anew about the promise being broken. I watched this cycle happen about 5 times years after all the borders were set. It has to be a bug.

Guys guys guys, just tell the ai to mind it's own business and the problem will go away in it's entirety. Sure they will whine abut you telling them off but hey its better than AI saying that you lied because of a city on other side of world where AI isn't expanded a single hex through culture.

Alternative is to shrivel up and die which will suit AI fine.

Thus, bend over and tell ai you won't expand is weaksauce.

So its better to tell the AI off than be an wuss.

Its one of the choices that would actually carry alot of weight if Firaxis devs bothered to improve the military AI.

The same happened to me in my last game. I bought some land right at my border. Sweden showed up and demanded to stop buying land. I agreed and I didn't bought any more land.

~15 turns he told me that I broke my promise to not buy new land next to him.

wtf?

Sweden showed up and demanded to stop buying land. I agreed and I didn't bought any more land. ~15 turns he told me that I broke my promise to not buy new land next to him.

In contrast to OP complaint (where player does not agree), your experience does sound like a bug. That has never happen to me. Did you settle any cities in the meantime? They are two separate and distinct demands, but it is easy to confuse them because the dialog boxes are poorly worded.

Timing is the key.

Wait to settle until you have extra gold - Then settle + buy 4 tiles on the SAME TURN, and you will have a magical message to stop doing both. If you have no more need for that zone of the board, agree to both and you will not regret it.

Yeah... A nice theory. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Many a time had I been presented with a more or less kind request to stop buying land, stealing artifacts or settling cities and even though I stopped, a few turn later I was accused of breaking my promises. I believe I would have noticed it if I had build a city...

I have also seen this message when a) I never agreed to stop buying tiles, and b) I hadn't bought any tiles within at least 20 or so turns of the message

It's a bug. I regularly get the "It seems you lied..." and I *always* give the "get knotted" response when an AI asks me to not buy tiles.

So it's just a matter of wording? There's no reputation/trustworthiness factor for breaking a promise instead of just telling them off from the get-go?

You get a diplo hit for not agreeing to the demand.
You get a diplo hit for taking land after they told you not told (regardless to how you responded to demand).
Diplo hit for taking taking land after you said you would not might be higher than diplo hit for taking land after you said you would.

It’s not a bug. It is a poorly worded demand.

So your position is that they are programmed to lie and claim that the player made a promise when he didn't?

It's a bug as soon as the AI asks you to stop it considers tiles bought by culture as bought tiles, thus you are either:
breaking your promise
continuing to do what they don't want you to do.
regardless of your response

Correct. The AI makes a demand that you cannot possibly meet (there is no way to prevent organic growth of your borders except perhaps deleting all your culture buildings). Even if you refuse the demand, it is still possible for them to come back later and claim you "broke your promise". I don't see how this behavior can be anything but a bug.

The AI makes a demand that you cannot possibly meet (there is no way to prevent organic growth of your borders except perhaps deleting all your culture buildings).

Organic growth does not cause you to break the promise.

Even if you refuse the demand, it is still possible for them to come back later and claim you "broke your promise". I don't see how this behavior can be anything but a bug.

Refusing the demand makes the AI mad. Buying tiles makes the AI mad, and they label you a liar.

The developers could save players a lot of grief by correcting the phrasing of the demand and text regarding why the AI hates you.

Top Bottom