Straighter Roads

Arcadian83

Prince
The roads in Civ4 are winding and whimsical. This can appear creative, but it can also be confusing as to what tiles are roaded, look too unorganized for your highly developed areas, and generally look like spaghetti.

An example looks like this:

The same example with straighter roads:

The roads will form an organized grid when they are dense, like so:

Textures have not been changed, feel free to override them or use the game's defaults.

Installation:

Download

Back up the one XML file that will be overwritten, Civ4RouteModelInfos.xml, to be able to uninstall.

Unzip the "assets" folder in the zip file to the assets folder of Civ4, Beyond the Sword, or your favorite mod in your install directory.

You'll need to hold down the shift key the first time Civ loads for the changed XML to have effect. It will say "XML (uncached)" as it loads when you do.

Uninstallation:

Replace the XML file Civ4RouteModelInfos.xml with the one you backed up, and optionally remove the added .nif models.

Again, you'll need to hold down the shift key the first time Civ loads to clear the XML cache.

Known Issues:

The straighter roads sometimes use the wrong segments adjacent to rivers. I'm trying to solve this, but if someone else could help, that would be nice. Either my XML has mistakes, or the rivers alter the number of connections the roads are supposed to have.

The problem looks like this:

I didn't change railroads at all, they should remain the same.

The changed XML will cause Out Of Sync errors in multiplayer unless they are running with the same XML as you.

Please post here if you encounter any problems using them.
Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,564
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,623
  • grid.jpg
    grid.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,577
  • problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,647
  • Straighter Roads.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 246
Looks great! I'll download it and have a look when I have access to Civ (and maybe post some screenshots). Could you give instructions for reversing it though, just in case?

We'll have to get Lemon Merchant to put this in BAT :goodjob:.

What's BAT?

It's BUG Artistic Tweaks. BUG is a mod that make the game a lot more accessible and the interface more userfriendly; BAT takes that and makes the game look more aesthetically appealing as well. Like I said, this would be a perfect fit for it.

I think BAT is included in REVDCM which was included in ROM which was Included In AND and now part of C2C. So I believe it's in there!

At least the version that was last included. Maybe some components could be updated! (both ways)

I think BAT is included in REVDCM which was included in ROM which was Included In AND and now part of C2C. So I believe it's in there!

At least the version that was last included. Maybe some components could be updated! (both ways)

My RevDCM only has BUG, not BAT. However, it would be REALLY nice if it did have BAT, since RevDCM and BAT are two of my favorite mods ever!

Anyways, that's a discussion for another thread. This road mod looks really interesting, I always did wonder why the roads looked so weird. They would be all curly for no reason, really. :lol: But once you get engineering in BUG/BAT, don't your roads change their look anyways? They get a lot straighter then...

Hm, interesting! Maybe little too streightened, but I'm sometimes also confused with "where does this road lead" dilemma.

Hi, OP here,
I'm not working on this anymore, so feel free to use my modified .xml any way you like.
I never fixed the river problem, despite trying pretty hard, so watch out for that.
Otherwise, enjoy!

:sad:

It'd be awesome if someone else with the needed skills could pick this up. I'd try and fix that problem myself, but... well, I'm useless with this kind of stuff, so I'd do more harm than good. :lol:

Top Bottom