Strange diplomacy when buying tiles

funkymunky

Warlord
Started playing a game as Montezuma, and found very early on that right next to me (appropriately perhaps) was the Spanish civ. So, I build a second city close to their capital, Madrid, and bought a few tiles around it because there was gold and cotton I wanted. Apparently, my land grab didn't make Isabella too happy, so she complained and I told her to bug off. But oddly enough, about 20 turns later I get a message complaining that I broke my promise not to expand in her area.

Has anyone else seen this happen in their games? I figured that when I chose the 'my affairs are none of your concern' button, that wouldn't be a promise to anything, and in fact I took a diplo hit right off the bat. But, apparently I did so just to get hit again for breaking a promise I never thought I made. Seems strange and I was wondering if it's a bug.

She also followed with some more odd behavior because she made the same demand about 100 turns later, even though I didn't expand any more during that whole time because I was fight wars with the Egyptians on the other side of the map. Is this a bug, or is Isabella just weird like that?

Started playing a game as Montezuma, and found very early on that right next to me (appropriately perhaps) was the Spanish civ. So, I build a second city close to their capital, Madrid, and bought a few tiles around it because there was gold and cotton I wanted. Apparently, my land grab didn't make Isabella too happy, so she complained and I told her to bug off. But oddly enough, about 20 turns later I get a message complaining that I broke my promise not to expand in her area.

This pretty much exact same scenario happened to me. I bought up land, Washington was displeased, I told him to sod off, then later he came back to me saying I broke my "promise." Despite the fact that I didn't buy anymore land anyways... yeah. It was strange.

So is this a reported bug then? Apparently it's not just Isabella that does this. What's been funny as well is during the course of this game, I continue to get messages about keeping or breaking my promises every 30 turns or so it seems, so I am guessing this is a bug, because she has not brought up the issue in any diplomatic meetings since, so this is getting weird. If not for the fact that I'm busy conquering every one else, and not concerned about the diplomatic consequences, I probably would find this annoying actually.

It seems to be bugged. I promised Austria not to settle near her but did it anyway. I later got a message saying I kept all of my promises when I clearly didn't.

nothing new, has been happening since vanilla. probably not a glitch, your city expanded naturally through culture and took a tile they thought was in their sphere

Yup I've been getting it as well even when I told them to buzz off.

So I took this as a pretext to wipe them out. Since they're lying to the world that I am breaking promises i might as well as kill them off.

I think the only reason why the Civ believes you broke the promise is because of the fact that borders expand naturally and that seems to count as "expanding", disregarding how the tile was acquired.

I think the only reason why the Civ believes you broke the promise is because of the fact that borders expand naturally and that seems to count as "expanding", disregarding how the tile was acquired.

*hits Monument with a stick*

"Hey you! Knock it off for 20 turns or Isabella is gonna be so mad!"

:D

Nah, that is definitely not the case.

I agree with the OP, I get this too. I also find it funny that while I am crushing an irritating neighbour beneath the raging boot-heels of my army, they come back and thank me for not encroaching into their space, even when I told them where to stick it and then declared war :cool:

Top Bottom