Strategic Rivers Mod

Do you think it would be possible to have 2 kinds of rivers?
  1. A navigable one (with broader graphics too)
  2. And the regular type, a stream that can be crossed easier and runs into larger rivers.

There are really good ideas and we have been discussing doing exactly this in the following thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/religion-and-revolution-large-rivers.473788/

There's also an almost finished implementation here: https://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?97957-Beschiffbare-Fl%C3%BCsse&p=6880184#post6880184 (in german, so use google translate if necessary)

I'd volunteer to to the coding (map generation, movement rules, AI), but I'd have to have someone to do the gfx, tilesets etc :)

Last edited:
I saw that navigable rivers where added to Religion and revolution. I really enjoyed them there and wished they were in normal Civ 4. And I found this. Sadly it seems to not be maintained any more.
I am interested i working to try to make a modpack that works on top of having navigable rivers. Or potentially doing maintence work in regards to this project. Although, Ideally having someone to orient me as to how the code and xml changes for it work would be nice.

I am interested i working to try to make a modpack that works on top of having navigable rivers.
None yet :undecide: I'd love to add it to my mod but I lack the skills :(

Although, Ideally having someone to orient me as to how the code and xml changes for it work would be nice.
It takes heavy dll work, so you need to be a programmer to do it, AFAIK.

None yet :undecide: I'd love to add it to my mod but I lack the skills :(

It takes heavy dll work, so you need to be a programmer to do it, AFAIK.
Well, I am a programmer. But, I mostly do python stuff. I can do C/C++ in a pinch. But, I pretty much only use it for embedded applications.
I take it you lack the skills to port it to your mod?
If I can figure out the process of porting it to a modpack. I wouldn't mind helping you port it to your mod.
From looking at the RaR col4 thread. They still don't have map scripts. Do you know if the code or functionality there is more or less developed than the one in this mod?
Or is this mod literally just a port of that one?
If I could get someone to help me to learn how civ 4 mapscripts work I might even try tackling adding rivers to a map gen.
I have written river generation code in python before for some open source games. As well as my own small roguelike I made a couple years ago. So, I think once I figured out how to actually work with the CIV API for mapscripts I could maybe do it.
If it is C++ work it would be more iffy. But, I might be able to manage it.

I take it you lack the skills to port it to your mod?
Unfortunatly, yes. :undecide:

If I can figure out the process of porting it to a modpack. I wouldn't mind helping you port it to your mod.
Oh, that would be most welcome. Thank you! :clap:

From looking at the RaR col4 thread. They still don't have map scripts. Do you know if the code or functionality there is more or less developed than the one in this mod?
Absolutely more developed in the Col version. This one has the only advantage, that it works automatically with map generation. But since its no longer developed it's probably full of bugs. It wasn't merged into any mod I know of for a good reason IMO.

If I could get someone to help me to learn how civ 4 mapscripts work I might even try tackling adding rivers to a map gen.
I have written river generation code in python before for some open source games. As well as my own small roguelike I made a couple years ago. So, I think once I figured out how to actually work with the CIV API for mapscripts I could maybe do it.
If it is C++ work it would be more iffy. But, I might be able to manage it.
Wow! That sounds wonderful! ✨😍

Unfortunatly, yes. :undecide:

Oh, that would be most welcome. Thank you! :clap:

Absolutely more developed in the Col version. This one has the only advantage, that it works automatically with map generation. But since its no longer developed it's probably full of bugs. It wasn't merged into any mod I know of for a good reason IMO.

Wow! That sounds wonderful! ✨😍
Do you know anyone it might be good to contact for learning about map scripts?
I found a couple semi-sparse tutorials from the person who made the maps for vanilla civ 4.
But, that is all so far.

Do you know anyone it might be good to contact for learning about map scripts?
I found a couple semi-sparse tutorials from the person who made the maps for vanilla civ 4.
But, that is all so far.
I don't don't really know anyone but I think you should just open a thread about it and ask for help.

I found this file though I don't know if it works...

Attachments

• StrategicRivers.zip
    17.5 MB · Views: 21
Top Bottom