Strategic Rivers Mod

I like this mod!! Was getting a little bored and this adds a new twist. Could use a little tweeking but I'll take what I can get>

Can I use the Civ IV Map Maker for this?

Ref that "assert" failure code. Found that it "looked" in game like a freeze, but if I went to desktop and saw the error message I could just tell it to ignore and go on. Did completely freeze tho finally. I really like this mod but combat and cities should definitely be possible on riverbanks.

Yeah, that should be an option when making a custom game.

Well, if this is still being worked on;

Instead of making a river tile a half land tile like it's described, how about using something similar to a fresh water lake, but only be one tile in width? Boats can still go into it and you can restrict boats from being built or sailing them into Fresh Water tiles. After all, you can't build a harbor or ships in cities that border fresh water lakes, only coast.

Consider a new tile type, fresh water river. When it approaches ocean, it becomes coast, and then finally the ocean. With then entire tile filled with water, this will keep armies from crossing quickly w/ transports or a promotion. You could also get a new land tile improvement (bridge) for easier crossing.

I don't know how to mod so I don't know if this could be done, or how to make the AI using it.

I played small games of this mod and it is very cool, but it is also very buggy and does not seem to be supported at all.

Yeah, I am sorry, I am not working on this any more. Maybe I will restart, when I find the time.

Concerning the "cities on rivers" issue - it is not difficult to change that, so that cities can be founded on rivers. When you look at the history of many cities (all?), you will see that most of them are founded on one side of a river and only much later "cross" it.

But maybe someone can make this optionable. I might do it, when i find the time (s. above) :)

Yeah, I am sorry, I am not working on this any more. Maybe I will restart, when I find the time.

Concerning the "cities on rivers" issue - it is not difficult to change that, so that cities can be founded on rivers. When you look at the history of many cities (all?), you will see that most of them are founded on one side of a river and only much later "cross" it.

But maybe someone can make this optionable. I might do it, when i find the time (s. above) :)

I hope you find the time and inclination. This, in my opinion, is the most innovative component that seen in Civ the last years, so has the potential to change the entire strategy of the game. Good luck and good job.:goodjob:

Can this still be downloaded somewhere? It says Inyah was last active Jan 30, 2016, so after the AtomicGamer shutdown. Hope this mod isn't gone for good. :(

Can this still be downloaded somewhere? It says Inyah was last active Jan 30, 2016, so after the AtomicGamer shutdown. Hope this mod isn't gone for good. :(

I'd also like tor try it.

Is there any mod that has it merged?

MOD: STRATEGIC RIVERS

Version 1.0
Euphrates, Tigris, Nile, Jangtseekiang, Danube, Mississippi, the Amazon. These rivers have entered the cultural memory of nations and have marked the history of their residents. Wars were fought to control rivers. Whole armies were drowned in its waters. Trade and culture followed their course. Rivers are the lifeblood of humanity.​

This mod tries to give the strategic importance of rivers in the game Civilization validity.

New features:

Ships now can sail on rivers. Uses your fleets to explore new terrain, to quickly move troops and units, and to block the trading of your opponents!

Rivercrossing for units is now limited. Find and conquer the few river fords where your armies can cross rivers. Teach them to swim or build bridges to conquer those proud waters!

Build mighty river forts to protect your cities from foreign fleets!

Utilizes the diversity of life in the rivers. Fish, crawfish, alligators and the famous sturgeon caviar are important resources, that will make your cities richer and your trade prosperous!

Download here: http://www.atomicgamer.com/file.php?id=98722

Details:

Two new resources: alligator and caviar.

Two new strategic resources: beach (required for the construction of swimming areas) and river ford (allows the crossing of rivers).

A new promotion: river crossing. Allows units to cross rivers. Requires the technology "fishing".

A new building: swimming area - Gives all new units the promotion “river crossing”. Requires either a beach in the city vincinity or an aqueduct. Requires the technology "fishing".

A new wonder: “National project swimmingclasses”. Adds a swimming area to all cities.. Requires the technology "military tradition".

A new unit: river workers. Can work riverfields. Requires the technology "Mathematics".

Two bridges - wooden bridge and railway bridge. They allow uits to cross rivers and give the same bonus to unitmovement as roads or railways. Note: Can only be built at a distance of 3 fields to each other!

New improvement: river fortress. Gives a defensive bonus and can only be built on the river areas. Note: Can only be built at a distance of 4 spaces to each other.

Small rule changes:

Spoiler :
No cityfounding on rivertiles - except on river fords.

Ships have twice as many movement points. Oceancrossing now takes two movement points.

Ships movement on rivers is not diagonal, but they generally follow the river course (unfortunately there are execptions to this rule unter certain circumstances – e.g. When two rivers flow directly next to each other)

Ships can also blockade rivertiles and plunder on them.

Mines can not be built on the river areas.

Fish and crabs can also occur in rivertiles. Accordingly, work boats can build fishing on rivertiles.

The construction of fishing nets no longer kills work boats and river workers.

Cities next to rivers can also train ships. They can also build various buildings such as ports and dry docks.

Land units cannot fortify and sleep on rivertiles unless there is a riverfortress.

Forts and riverfortresses now spread your cultural imfluence (Superfort Mod).

Forts and riverfortresses flow can be bombarded (Superfort Mod)

Disclaimer / Warning:

The AI ​​understands and uses the rule changes and implications. However, the game becomes quite slow, especially if the maps are large and the AI is involved in ​​many wars.

This mod can be used like you wish in other mods, please give credit to me.

To Dos / Help wanted:

This mod is working progress. Ideas and help are much appreciated! Especially with graphics...

Spoiler :
The AI configuration must be revised, since it tends to be very slow.

I'm not a graphic designer, therefore I would be grateful, if someone would look at the graphics of various elements (in particular fishing nets on rivertiles, the graphics for the beach, river ford, swimming area, etc.)

As english is not my motherlanguage, there may be mistakes in the texts for the civilopedia and such. Other languages except german arent yet included. So if someone feels like helping here...?

Potential future enhancements:

Spoiler :
Different rivertiles and -graphics, such as for example: Waterfalls, rapids, dams, etc.

Straightening of the river - over time most of the rivers have been straightened to make them navigable. This could also be done in the game.

River pollution: Due to the industrial revolution rivers were heavily polluted. This could also be in the game, e.g. by penalty points for food and trade. Should have appropriate graphics.

Cultural growth: culture should spread faster on riverbanks and grow more slowly when crossing rivers. This simulates that rivers often are natural boundary lines.

More ...?

Credits:
Spoiler :
Special thanks to Red Key for his Super Forts Mod: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=444512&highlight=Super+Forts - a great inspiration and a basis for various elements in this mod!

Thanks also to Orion Veteran, Patar and Refar for their Sea Bridge Mod, the basis for the bridges in this mod! Thank you!

Thanks to Walter Hawkwood for the new fortress, which is used in this mod!

Thanks to The Coyote for his carp resource, which is the basis for the caviar-resource.

vincentz made the alligator, so a big thank you for that!

If I have to thank other people whose work I have used in recent months, without thinking about it now, then please send me a short message!

Finally, a thanks to all who have written the tutorials. 6 months ago I had no idea of ​​modding and didnt know any programming. Only thanks to you I've gotten the motivation to sit and learn this stuff and do this mod!

Any comments, bug-reports, helping hands, ideas are highly welcomes :)

Great job! A much need addition! Boats’ going only one way means you will have to build a boat every time you go from one point to another. Cities are built at deep points in river to be able to ship goods and raw materials by boat. Cities are built along rivers frequently at the mouth of tributaries not just at river crossing so as transportation points so that should be expanded. Paddle wheelers use to go farther up river than they do today before dams were built to aide in boats traveling on the rivers. As far as battleships not being able to go up rivers that is a misconception, not only can they do it but have done so in the past. The US hid their battleships in WWII in Washington Canal in the Seattle, WA area. The battleship New Jersey & ocean going cargo ship have been as far upriver on the Columbia River as Portland, OR, a distance of over 100 mile up river as I went and saw it while it was there so I know it is very possible on wide & deep rivers. Destroyers have been nearly 200 miles up river. A good unit would be a tugboat & barge as they go as far up river as Lewiston, ID carrying good up & down the river. Terrain improvements you could add are dam, ferry, marina, yacht club, toll bridge, port, fishing dock, and fishing wheel. The later was used on the Columbia River to catch large numbers of salmon for the fish canneries that process the fish. Fish cannery as a building. Swimming area would be better as a terrain improvement since it not actual a building at all. But it looks like a very good mod, thank you for your effort!

This is a very cool mod :thumbsup:

However, I noticed the following issues:

- Only a debug DLL is provided and not a release DLL with full optimizations enabled. This probably explains the subpar performance.
- The pathfinding seems to be a bit buggy in some instances. Units take longer paths than necessary, despite having a beachhead nearby.
- There is a serious bug that allows ships to cross parallel rivers as well as rivers that borders freshwater lakes. I've debugged this issue a bit and can probably supply a fix.
(See CvUnit::canMoveInto)
- The build system is kinda old, so I migrated it to the most recent one.
- The codebase has autoplay 2.0 integrated, but the python code to enable autoplay was missing so I added it.
- Better AI and Super Forts have already been integrated, but I'm unsure if these are the latest versions.

I am considering it for inclusion in another mod, but these issues must be resolved first. If there's interest I can maybe post my fixes here later.

Last edited:
I am considering it for inclusion in another mod, but these issues must be resolved first. If there's interest I can maybe post my fixes here later.
Certainly there is! :)

Do you think it would be possible to have 2 kinds of rivers?
  1. A navigable one (with broader graphics too)
  2. And the regular type, a stream that can be crossed easier and runs into larger rivers.

Top Bottom