Streaming Civ?

Tech Osen

Emperor
Any word on Civ 6 becoming available on one of the upcoming game streaming services like Stadia?

Not that I've heard, and I've been following news on Stadia. And anyway, Stadia still requires you to buy a game at full price, and it can't really be used as a hand-held console, so it beats me why one would prefer that over playing on a computer (unless you do not have one at all).

I'm really hoping it comes out for the Stadia. I'm a Google geek and pre-ordered a Stadia despite knowing there's a possibility Google may give up on it like they have done before with some of their products. But I think Civ would be the perfect kind of game for the Stadia. The potential lag isn't as big of an issue for Civ as it is for shooter or fighter games. Plus it's more mobile than it is for the Switch because for the Switch to hook up to a TV, you need a clunky dock, which you won't take with you anywhere. With the Stadia, you just need a controller and a screen, whether it be a monitor, Chrome browser, or a TV with a Chromecast. So as long as I have my controller on me, I could play Civ anywhere.

So Firaxis, if you're reading this, please release Civ 6 for the Stadia! :thumbsup:

Don't you need to have an internet connection to use Stadia? A benefit of Civ on computer or other current platforms is you just need the internet to download it. You don't need a connection to play it.

Don't you need to have an internet connection to use Stadia? A benefit of Civ on computer or other current platforms is you just need the internet to download it. You don't need a connection to play it.

Yes, you need an internet connection as the games are on the cloud. You don't need a good machine to run the games (Chromebooks can run the games just as well as they can play YouTube videos), you just need an internet connection. Sure, I can download a game now on my computer and play it without internet, but I guess I'm never in a place where I don't have an internet connection anymore, so that doesn't really concern me much.

Yes, you need an internet connection as the games are on the cloud. You don't need a good machine to run the games (Chromebooks can run the games just as well as they can play YouTube videos), you just need an internet connection. Sure, I can download a game now on my computer and play it without internet, but I guess I'm never in a place where I don't have an internet connection anymore, so that doesn't really concern me much.

I guess I've been enough places with nonexistent service or paid wifi that the idea of requiring an internet connection to play is a turn off for me.

Just an update, I've had Stadia for 4 days now and it's working really, really well! Please Firaxis, release Civ for it! It's the perfect game for the cloud. :D

Not that I've heard, and I've been following news on Stadia. And anyway, Stadia still requires you to buy a game at full price, and it can't really be used as a hand-held console, so it beats me why one would prefer that over playing on a computer (unless you do not have one at all).

I don't get what you mean by it can't be used as a hand-held console. It can play on a phone (so far only Pixel, but that will change), tablets, Chromebooks, laptops, etc. Anything with a screen can play it really. It's perfect for hand-held play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom