Strongest civs to play against.

MightyMite

Chieftain
Since there is "Weakest civs to play against?",why shouldn't we have this one? :)

Mine:
Sweden - Their cities and territory grown pretty fast,and their army is growing nice also. Sweden was kicking ass in last 3 games of mine. I was suprised. :)

Shoshone - I really don't need to explain this.

Shaka if I am his neighboor or korea it really depends on a lot of things. I have never seen Sweden as competition though was this one time or multiple times other than those 3?

In two games they were really alone,without any serious neighbors close. So they expanded really good. They also build some serious deffence. :) With good area: they can play really good. :)

Third one: I really don't remember all details,couse I play continents map,and I discovered them really late.

I have lost to Sweden the most times. But Greece still #1 for most annoying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

My current game on Immortal level.
Note that the RNG appears to have given me 7 peaceful AIs that are all after Cultural victory. (Every single AI was grateful when I proposed it and half of them couldn't wait to sign DOF with me)

The World Congress just advanced to Industrial era via half the world now in the era, and AI Inca has been leading the science race the whole game. (two or three techs in front of me) He also has a massive amount of gold on hand.
However he was blessed with Salt as his primary luxury and will all know who good that one is.

Shoshone are second, (they have been one or two techs in front of me)

Netherlands is running even with me.

Polynesia actually started strong but faded and they are now a tech behind me. I'm thinking they haven't been building libraries in all their overseas cities and so are reducing their net science rate even with the AIs science handicap.

Byzantine are trailing me, but are too far way to form a trade route with so I don't know how much.

Brazil is four techs behind me.

Persia is pulling up the rear and are seven techs behind. They haven't been at war with anyone; but I think they are the original owner of that barb settler I saw in a barb camp near them.

Also note that I have 4 active RAs and am about to sign a 5th, so I expect I'll catch and pass the AIs within the next 35 turns.
For comparison purposes I'm Austria but haven't yet used my UA as none of the nearby city states were on natural wonders; I'll start marrying city states later.

Russia and germany arae always doing good in my game as well and even though germany doesn,t have a UA helping with science they still lead the game in science when they are in my game

Hiawatha is strong. Lots of city, and will lead in religion if he's focused on it. Usually the run away.
Pocatello often gets high marks but comparing to Hiawatha his cities aren't as polished.
Alexander is often strong.
Maria (Portugal), Caesar, Catherine, Bismarck are usually strong, but not as much as the leaders above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably Shaka when he's too far away to be taken out early and starts beating up everyone around him, becoming a runaway like he always does. :/

Bismark is one of the few Leaders that manage to get ahead without pissing everyone else off, so they're really hard to separate later on.

Alex, Catherine and Wu Zetian are the three that most make me groan when I meet them.

Hiawatha. A perfect example of a civ that is generally regarded as not top-tier - considered one of the lowest-tier civs in fact - and yet performs well as an AI. How does he do it?

I know it will sounds whiny in terms of difficulty AI and whatnot, but here goes:

Any civ that is focused on WIDE empires in general

Greece - Goes wide, aggressive and will make you work for your CSes

Siam - Like Greece, but more friendly and sometimes devious. Loves making friendships but god help you if he denounces you, which he WILL for no reason. Chances are his friends wil lback him up. IMO the most human AI's out there.

Poland - As many have said, once he survives Medieval he becomes a threat. Versatile.

Korea - Will outtech you for a long time, but is usually dealt with when Spies enter the game and tends to lack in army flavour.

Speaking of Wide Empires, in my experience Carthage is either a superpower or nothing. In my current game (continents, but the random map made it closer to small continents) she settled all of her cities on the coast, except for Carthage, which she settled two tiles inland, making her UA essentially useless. Blew my mind. But when Dido knows what she's doing and expands early on, she can be a monster.

Greece is my least favorite opponent. Alex is quite hard to beat in early warfare due to his double UU in that period, meaning he survives to claim every CS after that. Maybe it is not necessarily the strongest enemy, but definitely one of those I am glad not to have in a game ;)

As said, the wide empire with ancient era UU are usually the more threatfull.
Greece, Siam, Rome, Iroquois, polynesia.
Special mention to Russia because of the strong early hammer boost.

I don't know but in my games the usual science civ (china, korea, ...) always fail somehow.

Out of nowhere, the ottomans are ALWAYS doing well in my games, seafaring or not.

Russia, Polynesia, and germany are generally powerful in economics and wonders but not particular military threats to me.
Siam, England, and Greece always are major threats to me winning as they eat land glutonously and war constantly, so unless I am able to get a foothold to fight them in the early midieval era they really do bite hard.
Hiawatha and Rome are always HUGE threats
Carthage, Morocco, and Songhai are scattershot, either conquering a neighbor early on and growing into a super power or failing at early war and getting crushed to dust after a long period of atrophy.
USA, Iroqoius, and Etheopia always used to be a major threat to me militarily and scientifically but in my most recent games they've toppled like cards. I went back to G+K and again they did very well for themselves. Thoughts?

Hiawatha. A perfect example of a civ that is generally regarded as not top-tier - considered one of the lowest-tier civs in fact - and yet performs well as an AI. How does he do it?

That's got more to do with the fact that the meta-game on these forums is extremely concentrated on science. Or in other words, a lot of people know how to play Babylon, and they don't know how to play anything else, which is why the Iroquois are not well regarded.

Russia and germany arae always doing good in my game as well and even though germany doesn,t have a UA helping with science they still lead the game in science when they are in my game

Because how good the AI does has more to do with their flavor combos than their UA / UB.

Germany does tend to start stronger and go from strength to strength in my games.

But while Russia also starts strong in my games, they tend to collapse later on. Probably over expanded and didn't build enough libraries and so their science rate collapsed even with the AI science handicap.

I find they start extremely strong as the AI (forest start is a good reason for that); however I find they collapse later on. Sure they are #1 in number of cities founded, but a glance at demographics shows they are dead last in science; probably from science collapsing from not building libraries even with the AI science handicap.

Top Bottom