Stupid Question

Angelscotboi

Emperor
Okay so I have a few stupid questions.

Ive asked some before but didnt get answered. And if they did I forget lol.

I wanna know how to rename the Maya to the Mayan Empire. It always really annoyed me how the rest of the civs in game are like Incan Empire, Roman Empire, Babylonian Empire etc and the N is inexplicably and stupidly missing (even after the unofficial patches!) from the game for the Mayans.
It makes like no sense.

Second Q is: I hate the Holy Roman Empire as a civ. They werent a civ. Not in the definition of terms for this game. They were a collection of states dominated largely by the Habsburgs and Austria for most of its "life" that was joined together loosely because of fear of invasion from France and to a lesser extent the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
So I want them disabled. How do I do this again?

Additionally Charlemagne was a Frank aka French. He formed the Frankish Kingdom aka France. He was later (much later!) crowned Holy Roman Emperor by the Pope when he saved Rome from marauding barbarians (Vandals I think?).
If possible I would like to shunt him over to France. Again how do I do this?

1) This is just text. It has to be in one of the files in Assets\XML\Text. Just open the files with notepad/wordpad, search for the term, and change it.

2) Assets\XML\Civilizations\CivilizationsInfos.xml. Open it, search for the holy roman empire (CIVILIZATION_HOLY...i don't know the name exactly), and set the values for bPlayable and bAIPlayable to 0 instead of 1.

3) Assets\XML\Civilizations\CivilizationsInfos.xml, there are also the entries, which leader belongs to a country. Just copy the leader entry from HRE to france.

The Franks werent French. The 'Franks' were a Germanic tribe who migrated into France during the Dark Ages. They later were coalesced into the Carolingian dynasty out of the ruins of the Merovigian. THe empire of Charlemagne later split up with the 'German' part of it being recognized as the HRE due to Otto III. (More on him below.)

As to Charlemagne, he saved nobody from none. The current Pope, Leo III crowned him Holy Roman Empire to assert his authority over the most powerfull force in medieval Europe. The closest a HRE Emperor came to defeating barbarians was Otto III where he defeated the Magyars at Lechfeld. For that he was crowned Holy Roman Empire. Prior to that he was simply a German prince.

Rather than simply diabling the HRE, rename them to Austria. Someone made an excellent Charles V leaderhead out there.

The Franks werent French. The 'Franks' were a Germanic tribe who migrated into France during the Dark Ages. They later were coalesced into the Carolingian dynasty out of the ruins of the Merovigian. THe empire of Charlemagne later split up with the 'German' part of it being recognized as the HRE due to Otto III. (More on him below.)

As to Charlemagne, he saved nobody from none. The current Pope, Leo III crowned him Holy Roman Empire to assert his authority over the most powerfull force in medieval Europe. The closest a HRE Emperor came to defeating barbarians was Otto III where he defeated the Magyars at Lechfeld. For that he was crowned Holy Roman Empire. Prior to that he was simply a German prince.

Rather than simply diabling the HRE, rename them to Austria. Someone made an excellent Charles V leaderhead out there.

No offense but by that logic we may as well slap France, Germany, England, and the Holy Roman Empire all into one single state called the North/West German-European Empire because they are ALL Germanic at their roots, and have all the famous monarchs together. Hell if you go back far enough you can include Spain, Hungary, and parts of North Africa in that too. Heck you could just rename the whole game Roma Civ and only 5 peoples/countries/civs to represent Europe. Rome, Greece, Celtia, Germania, and Scandinavia. And slap all leaders throughout time into these Civs.

Charlemagne did save the Pope. I was wrong about it being the Vandals. It was the Lombards. Their hegemony over Italy threatened the Pope and he had Charlemagne invade with the promise of crowning him Imperator Augustus of the West.

His grandfather Charles Martel and his dynasty founded the beginnings of the German, Italian, Lotharingian, and French Kingdoms. But the Franks themselves moved west and formed France thats where the name France comes from.
Charlemagne's heirs also lost control in Germany, Italy, and Lotharingia in fairly short order. It was only in France they maintained their Kingship all the way to the Capetians succeeded them as Kings of France.
He was considered one of the founding fathers of France, not Germany, or Italy, or any other country. Therefore to me he is more suited as a French leader/ruler than a German or Austrian or even Roman.

About the Mayans. I cant find the text file that would have its name in them.

About the Mayans. I cant find the text file that would have its name in them.

It's called CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml and can be found in Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Text.

I think you took my logic a bit too far. I stated they had common roots, not that they were the same civ. Each civ took on their own appearance and customs due to different conditions. The fact those differences were sufficient to survive the rise of nation-states means they must have been signifigant.

If you look at the wikipedia article on Charlemagne it points out that while he did crush the Lombards, that was not the popes request. Rather it was to uphold Pepin the Short's decree where he gave land to the pope. The Lombards did not agree to that so Charlemagne crushed them. Without the Lombards the Byzantines would have been better able to reassert their authority over him, so the pope needed a protector. He found that in Charlemagne. In addition, the Lombards never had hegemony over Italy. The south was still ruled by the Byzantines, same with Ravenna. The Lombards were no unified group and many set themselves up as independant states, such as the Duchy of Benevento.

In the same article he is listed as the first person in both the German and French royal family trees.

I also wouldn't say that France maintained their kingship from Charlemagne to the Capetians. After the sons of Charlemagne the empire disintigrated with the French part of the empire collapsing into worse chaos due to the Vikings, who repetedly laid siege to Paris. The two French 'Emperors' at this time were Louis the Fat and Charles the Bald. From their names you can assume they werent stellar stuff.

regardless, if you insist on putting Charlemagne as a french leader, fine, but at least keep the Hapsburgs. (Charles V, YAY! Ruler of Germany, Spain, and allied with most of Europe. The only ones who really opposed him were the Ottomans (who besieged Vienna unsuccesfully), France, and some minor German states.)

Top Bottom