Succession Game Coordination Thread II

What are your preferences?

• B1: The highest level I am willing to play at is Warlord.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C4: The lowest level I am willing to play at is "Deity with Restrictions."

• C5: The lowest level I am willing to play at is "Deity Plus."

• Total voters

Prof. Garfield

Deity
Supporter
Please make sure you understand the contents of this post before voting. If anything is unclear, please ask.

EDIT: We've started a game, but anyone else who's interested in playing should vote here. That way we will know if there are enough players to start another game.

I've restarted this thread mostly because the polling in the first one has not been smooth. I'm hoping more clarity on my part, and some extra information in the opening post will make this version of the thread run more smoothly. Here is the original.

Please vote again in this poll if you have voted in the previous one.

Section A:

If you can't check the box here, don't vote until you can check the box. This will also count the number of participants.

Section B: Highest Difficulty Level

In this section, you select the highest civ 2 difficulty level on the list at which you would be willing to play a succession game. I've omitted a couple, based on the idea that one level of difficulty shouldn't break you if you are playing with a group.

"Deity with Restrictions" means that we play a game at deity level, but impose some restriction on our play, such as not building any wonders.

"Deity plus" means that we play at levels above deity (something that can be achieved through altering the text files of Classic Civ 2). If enough people want to play at this level, we can then settle on a specific level.

Section C: Lowest Difficulty Level

Select the lowest level of difficulty at which you are willing to play. Generally, when setting up a game, I will assume that players will prefer to play close to their "Highest Difficulty Level" (if it is otherwise, but you are being accommodating, say so in a post so I can get a better feel for the preferred level), but playing at a lower level may be necessary in order to get more players. Your vote here should indicate the lowest level you are willing to play in order to get more players.

Section D: Regular Availability

This is the number of games that you want to play as a regular player. I've included 0 games here, because of the next section, and if we get some occasional players it might affect the number of games we think we can run simultaneously.

Everyone understands that we all have commitments that take precedence over civ 2. If you say that you are regularly available, it does not mean that you are promising to be "on call" for civ 2. Most succession games have periods where no one plays for a while, or where the playing order gets shuffled significantly because people can't play.

Your initial reaction to the question "how many succession games can I participate in" is probably the best answer.

Section E: Are you a potential substitute in another game?

Following up on section D, you may have a schedule that means you can't commit to another game as a regular player, but you may be able to play once in a while. Checking 0 games in D, and Yes in this section means that you think you can play occasionally, but can't be a regular participant.

If there are a lot of "Yes" votes in this section, it might impact how many people we feel we "need" in order to have an extra succession game.

Section F: What Version do you Play?

There are a couple things to know about civ 2 versions. There are 2 common versions: Classic and MGE (Multiplayer Gold Edition). The trouble is the classic version can't read games saved in MGE, meaning that all succession game players must play the same version. Also important is the fact that MGE has a much more hostile AI than Classic, leading many to prefer classic.

It is possible to have both versions of Civ 2 on the same computer, just put them in separate files (and the game is quite small by today's standards).

Any player of classic civ2 can upgrade to MGE by applying this patch.

It may also be possible to downgrade the MGE version to classic as described here, but I have done very little testing and have received no feedback on the process, so I am not positive that it works.

EDIT: Some information about the downgrade is found further down in this thread.

Choosing "Classic Only" or "MGE Only" means that you can only play the selected version. "Classic Preferred" or "MGE Preferred" means you can play both versions but prefer one to the other. "Indifferent" means that you really don't care what version the game is played.

Additional:

You don't need to highlight all the areas of play that you think need improvement when you post here. A few bad decisions aren't going to ruin the game for everyone, and other players aren't as perfect as you might imagine. You might also find this interesting. (Story telling, while greatly enjoyed, is not a requirement for a succession game either.)

I'll give this version of the poll at least 10 days to give everyone time to vote (also, making everyone vote again can weed out those whose interest is more fleeting) and then I'll suggest a couple of succession games that should appeal to as many people as possible. Based on the votes in the first thread, it looks like we'll have 2 games.

Still interested. But will not vote yet because I have a few questions.

Could you clarify this for me Professor: It is possible to have both versions of Civ2 on the same computer? (and have them using the same Civ2 disk) If so... how do you do that exactly? I've read your how-to instructions, but I am not 100% on the precise way to do it (especially related to how I use WinRar to unzip a file)

And another question: What is civfanatics.net and is it operated by CFC? The first download link (for the official patch) redirects there for the download. I'm assuming it's a file dump site, but I would just like to doublecheck...

Could you clarify this for me Professor: It is possible to have both versions of Civ2 on the same computer? (and have them using the same Civ2 disk) If so... how do you do that exactly? I've read your how-to instructions, but I am not 100% on the precise way to do it (especially related to how I use WinRar to unzip a file)

Yes, you can have both versions on the same computer (in fact, you can have multiple copies of the same version if you like). All you have to do is have a separate file for each one.

Somewhere in your computer there should be a file (for MGE on my computer it is in a folder called "MicroProse Software" and then in a folder called "Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition") that contains your civ2 game and all its saves. If you duplicate that file completely (copy, then paste), you get a second copy of the game on your computer, which you can then alter as you like without affecting the original file (and so you can use the original file to play the game as before).

I have a Windows XP machine, and I zipped those files using whatever program came with the machine (I'm almost certain it is WinZip). If I have to extract a .zip file, I just right-click and select "Extract All."

And another question: What is civfanatics.net and is it operated by CFC? The first download link (for the official patch) redirects there for the download. I'm assuming it's a file dump site, but I would just like to doublecheck...

I never noticed that. When I typed in civfanatics.net into my browser, I got the website that you get re-directed to when the forums are down, so I am pretty confident that they are run by the same people. The file didn't harm my computer when I applied the process (since that is what you are probably worried about).

*facepalm* Should've thought of that :mad:
Altough the concerned folders are not named exactly like yours (I'm assuming that's because my version of Civ2 is in French... will the application of the patches change that?)

And thinking again about it, I don't think a 2nd disk is needed because the disk only contains wonder/high council video and things like that.

I have WinRAR installed on a Vista 32bit machine (XP SP2 compatibility mode turned on) From what I read, WinRAR supports the extraction of ZIP files, so it should be all right. I'll do the job tomorrow, I have other priorities right now. Thanks!

I'm assuming that's because my version of Civ2 is in French... will the application of the patches change that?

I don't know if the application of the 2.42 patch will change that (my MGE copy was installed in English), but none of the files I provided include text. The 2.42 patch contains French and German text files for your game, so you can always cut and paste them into the corresponding English files. I've done this in classic, although there are at least 2 windows that don't work properly when I play (one is the window that tells you how many shields you still have to build when you add a caravan to a wonder, and the other is a negotiation window (just one of many) which should give you the option to pay tribute but doesn't actually do so).

Your English does seem good enough (in fact, I couldn't tell that it isn't your first language) that you should be able to make it through 10 turns for a succession game.

And thinking again about it, I don't think a 2nd disk is needed because the disk only contains wonder/high council video and things like that.

Sorry I forgot to answer that question. In fact, you don't need any disk to play civ2 classic (even the "downgraded" version) and you can use any civ2 disk to play MGE, not just the MGE disk.

Have DL'd the official patch, is currently using WinRAR to unzip the files. The program is asking me if I want to replace the civ2.exe (dated from 1999) for another civ2.exe (dated from 1996... (I'm guessing that's the Classic version of civ2.exe, was 2.42 released in 1996?))

''Yes to All'' is in the options when WinRAR asks me if I want to replace the already existing files, I'm guessing that's what you meant here?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9389471&postcount=11

I've also attached a screenshot of my situation right now (the ''yes to all'' and the 1996 civ2) for convenience.
Thanks!

EDIT: I have unzipped the 1st file. Just like in your case, the .exe needs more files... will update when I will have unzipped the 2 other .zip files.

SECOND EDIT: Completed DL/unzipping of all 3 files, but it says I still lack the wing.dll file (that's what I remember... now I try again and the program won't even try to start b/c it is already running, but not doing anything, as it shows on the Task Manager... I need to kill the process before I can do anymore testing) I looked on the 242extras1/242extras2 folders on my Civ2 Classic folder and I did not forget to cut/paste any file...

THIRD EDIT: Should have done some research... it seems that the WinG.dll file is a file that helps older games run. MGE was created in 1999, Classic in 1996... maybe that's it? (Also, that DLL is supposed to be on the System32 folder, so that explains it being lacking on the Civ folder) However, will the install work on Vista?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=24057
that's where I found it^^

Attachments

• unzip civ2 242 replace.jpg
    unzip civ2 242 replace.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 216
Yes. That will give you the executable for classic. The files I've submitted will give you the other things that the executable needs in order to run the game.

THIRD EDIT: Should have done some research... it seems that the WinG.dll file is a file that helps older games run. MGE was created in 1999, Classic in 1996... maybe that's it? (Also, that DLL is supposed to be on the System32 folder, so that explains it being lacking on the Civ folder) However, will the install work on Vista?

I don't know anything about WinG.dll, though since I installed civ 2.42 on my computer, it was probably just put into System32 and hence when I tried the downgrade the computer found it, so I never knew anything was wrong.

I haven't the slightest idea if the install will work on Vista.

If you have some other old school game that you can install on your machine, you might get lucky and get wing.dll that way.

Sadly, my computer knowledge is limited to what I have picked up simply by living in the computer age, and from 2 first year computer science courses (which was programming, not troubleshooting).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=399597

I switched the troubleshoot discussion on the Civ2 technical support forum because I did not wanted to go off-topic on the Succession game thread.

If I manage to get Classic, I would prefer to play Classic and the highest I would play is D+ (I want a challenge) If I have to stick to MGE, I would not modify my first poll answers (aside the fact that I will be MGE only)

*crosses fingers* Hopefully...

HOLY... IT WORKS!

somehow, launching the Civ2 2.42 game WITHOUT the MGE CD launched the game perfectly without any NTVDM.EXE error! (and I even got to choose my language at the very beginning! :D) (but it still says ''Civ2 Multiplayer'' in the game title. But I reckon, why would it be MGE if I did not had the option to create a MP game? (that is, nevermind the screenshot I attached...))

I launch MGE with the MGE CD, it works. I then launch Classic with the CD... guess what? NTVDM.EXE error! I remove the CD, try launch again... it works! I launch the game, THEN insert the CD for music and such... music/high council does not work. Oh well... a small price to pay. Do not need Civ2 music now anyway: Tis' the season to be jolly! except when I'm in... volved in a war...

Next step: edit game.txt (or .FRE because of the language my Classic is in, whatever) and start a new game of D+1 :mischief: (again, you add levels on the ''Difficulty'' screen and on the ''Barbarians'' screen?)

And on a small (last) note: How do you name your D+ levels? I won't try to ''translate'' them, I'm just worried a mismatch on this level might screw up the loading of a saved game...

Attachments

• classic fonctionne!.jpg
    classic fonctionne!.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 188
Next step: edit game.txt (or .FRE because of the language my Classic is in, whatever) and start a new game of D+1 (again, you add levels on the ''Difficulty'' screen and on the ''Barbarians'' screen?)

I describe what to do here.

And on a small (last) note: How do you name your D+ levels? I won't try to ''translate'' them, I'm just worried a mismatch on this level might screw up the loading of a saved game...

Name them whatever you like. We've never tried to match naming these levels and have never had a problem. In fact, you can load deity-plus/barb wrath games without even having altered your game text.

OK, I've only given this poll 9 days instead of 10, but I'm looking forward to a busy week.

I've started a classic succession game at deity level here. Based on the poll, this was the way to accommodate the most players.

I think we're a couple players short of being able to run 2 games simultaneously. If you are interested in playing, vote in the poll so we know you are interested.

I want to join any Succession game, that you guys may have going. I dont like the idea of deity plus right now. I struggle with Deity as it is lol

Hey Sulla, feel free to come aboard for the one we're currently doing. Regular Deity game, but with all naval stuff strictly forbidden. We're up to 100 AD now, game just starting to take off.

I don't think anyone will object to a new player joining. Remember that you will need classic civ 2 (version 2.42).

The current game is Seafaring is Superfluous. Don't worry if you are not that good; succession games are a great way to learn, and, in any case, we aren't playing a typical game so regular strategy isn't all that important.

Top Bottom