Suggestions please ... Representing Units through Military Symbols

jatibi

Warlord
Hello everyone,

myself being a perfectionist ;) i came up with a "new" way for unit representation for a modpack i call the "map-mod", an early stage looks like this:

"Units" are the biggest problem. The idea ist to symbolize them by tactical symbols:

These units would have an upgrade path:

00 is for units with a technology that dates to the period between 1950 - 1960
01 - 1970
02 - 1980
03 - 1990
and so on. as the years go on they will become stronger, and gain abilities (or loose them).
For example, the Armoured Infantry 04 can't be airdropped by planes/helicopters, the Armoured Infantry 05 can. (like the German "Marder" vehicle and its successor, the "Puma")

I need suggestions for these questions:

1) Main Unit should be the "Brigade", like a contemporary American, British or German one. Problem: Brigades are regulary organized into Divisions, and these have mostly their own troops, additional artillery in the standard case, engineers and so on, mostly organized in own regiments. Should there two Units, Brigade and Regiment? Should there be a Division Unit (a regular Civ-Army Unit) ?

2) A Question that is connected to Question No. 1 is the problem of the integrated units. An Armour Brigade has its own Artillery, or its own Engineers. If i give these abilities to the Brigade Unit, the AI wouldn't use it.

3) How to organize the Navies?

Interesting Idea, but not one I like. While this representation has historically been used in certain military circles and on old (primitive) war games; I think it is poorly suited to Civ3. Unit graphics are far easier to identify and are more pleasing to the eye as well.

I think the learning curve would be a bit too steep for me. Well, I shouldn't short change myself there; I could learn the system. But, it'd take some doin' until I'd be comfortable playing a game with such units. Since the game paly wouldn't be affected, I'm not sure that it'd be worth it though.

Well, maybe if you made the map like a war map, with all the yellow paper and stuff, and the units like a stick with a picture of it on, that might look interesting.

War Room mod anyone? ;)

Top Bottom