SuperCheap trick - find out who your opponents are early without cheating!

Airefuego

King
Here's a super cheap trick to find out who your opponents are early!

On turn 2, attempt to rename your capital "Rome", "Moscow", "London" etc, working your way through every Civ.

The ones that do not let you do it are your opponents, who have already founded a city with that name.

Won't always let you know the exact leader, but it will let you know the Civ.

(This assumes all AIs have already settled - you can do it on turn 3 or 4 to be sure, but it's slightly less useful then).

Why is this tedious and ultra cheap :mischief: trick useful?

- knowing who your opponents are may help inform your decision as to whether to chase an early religion or not
- also, later in the game when you haven't found the other continent yet (or especially if you're isolated) it will give you some idea who awaits you across the sea...

Anyway, to me it seems totally cheap so actually I don't do it... thought some might find it interesting though! :D

Interesting indeed! :D

If you want to do it, then it would probably be better to just open up the WB and see what civs there are (without browsing the map, of course). But this is something that will let you know that even with modified assets locked. Cheap! But nice :)

Kinda takes a little fun out of the game, doesn't it?

I would tend to agree. I still go random with my opponents just to have the excitment of discovering who is lurking across the waves. I wish there were leaders I could lock out because I'm frankly sick of Suryavarman and Pacal who seem to be in every game of mine, but a lot of the fun is the mystery of who's out there and the eventual discovery.

^^ I agree entirely. It's cheap and nasty. I'm not using it. On the other hand if you're playing HoF it may be useful, I dunno... just thought I'd throw it out there. :D

Or at least - it lets you check for Togu on Turn 2 so you can restart if you are really sick of him... :p

Or at least - it lets you check for Togu on Turn 2 so you can restart if you are really sick of him... :p

That can be quite a good use of it, if it still works in BTS. I want a game which doesn't have Mansa Musa and Pacal :mad:

Thanks for sharing.

^^ I agree entirely. It's cheap and nasty. I'm not using it. On the other hand if you're playing HoF it may be useful, I dunno... just thought I'd throw it out there. :D

In HoF games you can choose all the opponents so it's not very helpful ;)

I've known about this exploit, never used it can only say the only city I would ever type is Tenochtilan . Or Paris, but that's just nostalgia.

I've known about this exploit, never used it can only say the only city I would ever type is Tenochtilan . Or Paris, but that's just nostalgia.

"Ulundi", "Athens", "istanbul", "nidaros", etc. The problem with ones like athens or paris is that multiple leaders may control them and their threat varies.

Karokum is pretty dangerous too.

I'll have to try this. After seeing the first 2-3 religions go I could probably deduce a couple of AIs pretty quickly.

Edit: AIs, to my knowledge always settle in place. If this exploit still works, then you'd only have to sink 1 turn of "risk" research into say polytheism before knowing if the AIs get a crack at it, and how many. Mixing this and the demo screen may give a QUITE clear picture of whether you can found a religion or not on higher levels. Hmmmm.

Top Bottom