Supernatural Civilizations & Scenarios Pack

Opusegg

Chieftain
Supernatural Civilizations & Scenarios Pack

Here is the direct link to the file: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17586
In case the download isnt working from this site yet please scroll down a few posts for the .zip file or check the in-game mod browser.

The Supernatural Civilizations & Scenarios pack is a mod that adds unique supernatural civilizations to the game (based on individual mythos history) and scenarios that put them in direct (or indirect) conflict.

Release Date: Live here and via in game mod Browser!

Note: If you have played my previous “Undead Civilization” mod first off, thank you. Secondly, you will need to delete it to prevent a little weirdness in name overlap.

The alpha release of this mod includes:

The “A Shadow Struggle” scenario.

A basic starting scenario for a supernatural civs game.

6 Unique Supernatural Civilizations, Leaders, Traits, and Icon Art

• Vampire – Lead by Vlad Tepes
  • Zombie – Lead by Baron Samedi
  • Lycanthrope – Lead by Lycaon
  • Deep Ones – Lead by Cthulhu
  • Unseelie Court – Lead by Queen Mab
  • Yaoguai – Lead by Niu Mo Wang

12 Unique Units and Buildings including:

• Pack Alpha
  • Miskatonic University
  • Impaler
  • Demon Gate
  • Amba Peristil
  • And More…

I’m cleaning up text and doing balance testing this week. If anyone wants to get their hands on the mod early in exchange for a little play testing, PM me please. I hope everyone has fun with it. All suggestions are welcome, both for gameplay and additional supernatural civilizations.

Future Civs in the works include:

Golem
Boogieman
Jinn

Sounds like a nice mod. What do the various civs contain as some of the names don't ring a bell.(Yaoguai and Unseelie Court specifically)

Sounds like a nice mod. What do the various civs contain as some of the names don't ring a bell.(Yaoguai and Unseelie Court specifically)

The Yaoguai are sort of a catch all term for Chinese and Japanese demons. In doing research (as I wanted to add some "eastern supernatural" civs) I found that the two cultures actually share quite a bit of demon mythos. They were originally a Oni civ lead by a demon Oda Nobunaga (he has an interesting backstory relating to demons). But I decided to make the civ a little more "all encompassing". Also a nod to fallout =). Oni is there special unit (a demon with an iron club) and demon gate as a special building, which is a production hub and toll both for demons along the silk road.

The Unseelie Court is a classification of evil Fairies and include creatures like Banshees, Red Caps, Trolls, ect. A lot of there mythos is pulled from Gaelic Cultures. Where as muses will help humanity with their creative influence, Unseelie used that influence to help us destroy ourselves. The Sidhe is their special building and increases population and great person generation and the Slaugh is their special unit, which is a swarm of banshee (its an air unit with very high intercept). And to be honest the only way my girlfriend would help me test is if I built her a fairy civ. I didn't think there would be anything worth building but as it turns out the mythos is pretty interesting.

It was a wonderful moment. I called her at about 10 pm and asked her how the testing was going. She responded with "Wait... Its WHAT time???"

And a new civ player was born =)

I think this is because this file is in the moderation queue.

Hmm. I was having an issue downloading it too, very odd. Well here is the file just in case you or anyone else wants to play but can't download it. The download definitely works from the in-game mod browser...

Attachments

• Supernatural Civilizations and Scenarios (v 2).zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 283
My computer has lots of troubles and I cannot use Civ5 for the moment. I'm waiting a new one.

Hey, sounds like a lot of fun, I'd like to check this out. However, this is my first try to install a scenario mod and I cannot figure out how to start it. Mod is installed, the civs show up when choosing "Setup Game". But how do I get to the scenario? I tried finding the map but it does not show up under map type. I'm lost ;)

Hey, sounds like a lot of fun, I'd like to check this out. However, this is my first try to install a scenario mod and I cannot figure out how to start it. Mod is installed, the civs show up when choosing "Setup Game". But how do I get to the scenario? I tried finding the map but it does not show up under map type. I'm lost ;)

Hmmm, I just tried it out and it was working for me...

When you go to set up a mod game, select map type. Unless you have other map mods "A shadow Struggle" should be at the top of the list. Select it and click the load scenario radio button.

There is a known bug at the moment regarding the scenario. The Civ list will not populate properly. You must start a random civ game, then exit out to the main menu and load the scenario up again. The civ list will populate properly at that point. This is just a work around, hope to have this bug fixed next update.

Let me know if it still isn't working for you, we'll get it figured out.

Hmm, not working that way for me. I tried moving all DLC folders, tried moving all other maps, tried moving all other mods (even though they are disabled anyways), still no sign of the "A shadow struggle" map.

I made some screenshots of the process, just to make sure that I am not just overseeing something stupidly easy...

Edit:
After some fiddling with other scenario mods, I have now found the problem (at least for my machine). In the .modinfo, i added:

<EntryPoints>
<EntryPoint type="Map" file="ScenarioMaps/A Shadow Struggle [SCS].Civ5Map">
<Name>A Shadow Struggle</Name>
<Description>Supernatural</Description>
</EntryPoint>
</EntryPoints>

right before the final closing </Mod>

Now, the map does appear and the scenario seems to be working. Will check it out later ;)

Attachments

• 2011-09-10_00001.jpg
    2011-09-10_00001.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 617
  • 2011-09-10_00002.jpg
    2011-09-10_00002.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 548
  • 2011-09-10_00003.jpg
    2011-09-10_00003.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 774
Cool, I'm glad you got it working. Did you pull the mod from the post here or the in-game mod browser?

This mod is my first mod with scenario inclusion. I could have messed something up on build. It seems to work from the in game mod browser for a few friends...

I'll get this sorted for next update. Thanks for the heads up.

I got the mod from the ingame browser, no idea why it wasn't working for me but other people.

Anyways, I actually played a game with the zombie civ. First of all I really liked all the civilopedia text and the artwork, must have been a lot of work.

With regards to gameplay, as I suspected the zombie UA is totally overpowered ;) 90% reduction of :mad: from population means that happiness is not a factor at all in the game. Therefore, I had ridiculous population and thus science. You should think about reducing it or adding some balancing negative factor. The UB is very nice and the UU is interesting (and very very powerfull due to the march promotion which is kept when upgrading).

Overall, the AI seemed to have big problems with the limited space (lots and lots of city states for such a small map), but maybe part of that was the fixed difficulty (I recently stepped up my game to emperor).

If possible, could you enable changing the game settings (difficulty and speed). I think i was able to change them in the setup menu, but in the scenario they were back to Prince/Quick.

I got the mod out of the in game browser, but I can't find the map in the list, so I can't get to the scenario. Any ideas how to fix this?

I got the mod from the ingame browser, no idea why it wasn't working for me but other people.

Anyways, I actually played a game with the zombie civ. First of all I really liked all the civilopedia text and the artwork, must have been a lot of work.

With regards to gameplay, as I suspected the zombie UA is totally overpowered ;) 90% reduction of :mad: from population means that happiness is not a factor at all in the game. Therefore, I had ridiculous population and thus science. You should think about reducing it or adding some balancing negative factor. The UB is very nice and the UU is interesting (and very very powerfull due to the march promotion which is kept when upgrading).

Overall, the AI seemed to have big problems with the limited space (lots and lots of city states for such a small map), but maybe part of that was the fixed difficulty (I recently stepped up my game to emperor).

If possible, could you enable changing the game settings (difficulty and speed). I think i was able to change them in the setup menu, but in the scenario they were back to Prince/Quick.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm trying to balance the supernatural civs to each other (at a level that is overpowered compared to normal civs) and retain some "logical bonuses", without them being game breaking. There is definitely a bit of tweaking that needs to be done (and I'm including 6 more civs with updates.)

This was my first scenario design and I wanted to keep it small (as I have limited time to test), but now that I'm getting more comfortable with it I'll include bigger maps and variable game speeds and difficultly.

Any suggestions for addition civs?

I got the mod out of the in game browser, but I can't find the map in the list, so I can't get to the scenario. Any ideas how to fix this?

The map should be the first one on the list (unless you have any other map mod that start with the letter 'A' - it's called A Shadow Struggle). I haven't encountered anyone having a problem with it in the in-game browser, so thanks for reporting it.

I would delete the mod and pull it down again just to make sure nothing broken in that process. Also make sure you have deleted the Undead Civilization mod if you have that. If that doesn't work let me know here and I'll just send you the map and you can drop it straight into your map folder.

Any suggestions for addition civs?

The map should be the first one on the list (unless you have any other map mod that start with the letter 'A' - it's called A Shadow Struggle). I haven't encountered anyone having a problem with it in the in-game browser, so thanks for reporting it.

I would delete the mod and pull it down again just to make sure nothing broken in that process. Also make sure you have deleted the Undead Civilization mod if you have that. If that doesn't work let me know here and I'll just send you the map and you can drop it straight into your map folder.

deleted it and re-downloaded. Still didn't show up, and I turned off my other mods. Didn't have the Undead Civ (saw you were working on this one, so just decided to wait).

Not entirely sure how to add mods to civ5 that don't come from the browser, but if you can link me to somewhere that shows how, or explain it, I'd be fine with just getting the map/scenario (not sure if the scenario works right now or not, since I need the map to choose the scenario) and it would be much appreciated. I wanna play this so bad. :p

Also, ideas for new civs:
Goblins/Hobgoblins: Several different names depending on the culture. Usually considered slightly different the the fae, or even a corrupt form, which is why i think they could get their own civ. Could also include ogres, which are lumped in with them in some mythos. Probably food and pop oriented, with a cheeper than normal unique unit, since they are typically only scary due to numbers.

Giants: Ogres possible could also be here, as well as the more typical colossal people found in everything from Norse mythology to Jack and the Beanstalk. Pretty much the opposite of goblins, their unique unit should be expensive and powerful. Not sure what focus their civ would have though.

Top Bottom