Survey about Civilization IV

lordkhan

Chieftain
Dear Civ-Players and fans!

for my Bachelor’s thesis in ”virtual gaming world“ at Cologne University of Applied Sciences (and as a fan from the start) I’m carrying out a study on Civilization IV. I want to find out if the game imparts knowledge about complex systems. Therefore I have created a questionaire.

It takes approx. 15 minutes to answer all the questions and you can enter a raffle to win one of two Amazon gift cards! :king:

Here is the link to my survey: http://civ4.civsurvey.com (english version)

(german version: http://civ4.fragenzumspiel.de )

Thank you in advance to all answering this questionnaire! In case you are interested I can provide you with the results after my thesis will have been marked (approx. September).

Patrick :)

A note on privacy:
The data will be saved completely anonymously and will be exclusively used for my Bachelor’s thesis. There is no commercial intention!

I've filled it in, but I don't really know what to say for the "what makes the game complex" question. "Because it is" is the only answer I have. And I don't get what question I02 is asking, as I already put how ofen I check everything "on average" in I01, so as it is already an average, what does the second question even mean?

@Manfred: I02 asks you about changes in your way of how often you check cities, units, etc. during a game. So you might check the conditions to win a game less often in the beginning but more often in the end. But I admit you're right: I02 can confuse!

The questions on the survey were very thought-provoking about why I like Civ and strategy games in general. Let us know about your results! I wonder what you're going to do with all the write-in answers.

Thank you, guys! I appreciate your comments (and, of course, your support!). :) :goodjob:

I will let you know about the results as soon as I get my thesis back! ;)

Survey completed. I don't think Ive learned much about other things from PLAYING the game but certainly the civopedia.

Survey completed. I don't think Ive learned much about other things from PLAYING the game but certainly the civopedia.

I'd agree in terms of facts. The game certainly does generate an interest in what's in the civopedia.

I do find that my political thinking is (I hope) a little sharper from playing the game and seeing how diplomacy and war fit together in the game. It isn't exact, but I find myself looking at politics from a Civ perspective and understanding it a bit better sometimes.

Survey completed. One criticism - the age groups possibly don't go high enough, though I'm flattered to be included in the 40+ group.

I'm sorry (no offence intended ;) )!

And thank you all for your help! The results will come, but I have to wait until my thesis is marked before I can publish it. So stay tuned! ;)

I need some clarification.

Do you consider turn based and real time strategy to be of the same genre? I play other real time strategies, but I do not play other turn based strategy games.

edit: Question 9 seems a little off. You mean "Do you usually play with the same civilization?"

Filled in the survey.

I was the guy who said he thinks about civ during intercourse ;)

Top Bottom