• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

System Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working with PC hardware is easy - think of it as big overpriced puzzle :)

If you have normal PC (not notebook) all you need to do is check specs of your PC (should be available online somewhere) to get info about your motherboard (to make sure your GPU use PCi-E or AGP interface), power supply (to make sure that your PSU can provide enough power to your new GPU) and graphics card and based on that info you can easily pick new GPU and after that just powed down PC, open case, pull original GPU and replace it with new one. There are lots of guides written about this on www - just google it.

Of course its much easier for people like me because PC hardware is my hobby so if I were to get xxx € to get new GPU, it would take me 10 seconds to choose which GPU, another 30 seconds to order it from my supplier and when it arrive next day it would take me about 2 minutes to switch them. :)

So best advice is that if you are affraid to do it even after doing some basic research via google and you know someone (friend, relative etc.) who is good with computers, ask him to help you with it and to explain what, why etc. - next time you will be easily able to do it on your own.

If you are interested check forums and ask there if you need advice:
http://hardforum.com/
http://forums.anandtech.com/

thanks for your help :). but i have a STUDIO laptop. It has good performance and can play alot of different games. Its confusing...

If you don't have the money to buy a new PC (like you said), why do you not just wait? There are only 2 options then: You can play...or not.

You can't buy a graphics card for a laptop.

External graphic cards ;).

yea thats what i was planning on doing haha. the only reason i ask is to know generally if i would have to play in strategic mode because of the graphics

maybe this will work for him

it's a mighty midget, you can buy anything between Athlon II X3 435 and i7-980X in it, best part is because of how it's designed it can even pack a GTX 480

seems they dont sell them on futureshop.ca could be interesting. I imagine the price is between laptop and desktop...

It comes with a lifetime service, labor and phone support (and one year hardware warranty)
I find the fact it can take full length video cards is impressive and in Crossfire/SLI too!

it is from a boutique computer manufacturer
http://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops/xcube/#
(click "buy yours now" and customize it how you want it)

I looked all over the web and couldn't find a system requirements for Civ 5 that looked really accurate. (Most were just guesses). So I decided to guess my own.

*Based on Mininum Requirements, not Recommended.

For Windows XP
2.4Ghz Pentium 4 processor
1GB RAM
128MB Graphics Card (512MB Recommended, see below for recommended cards)
DirectX 9 (DirectX 10 Recommended)
6GB of free HDD space, 1GB extra for saved games.
Service Pack 3

For Windows Vista/7
2.8Ghz Pentium 4 processor (2.0 Core 2 Duo recommended)
1.5GB RAM (2GB Recommended)
128MB graphics card (512MB recommended, see below)
6GB free HDD, 1GB extra for saved games
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (Does not apply for Win 7)

For Mac OS X
....you're on your own with this one..

Windows Graphics Cards:
NVIDIA GeForce series:
FX 5900, FX 5950
6200, 6500, 6600, 6800
7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
9300, 9400, 9500, 9600, 9800
G100, GT 120, GT 130, GTS 150
GTS 250, GTX 260, GTX 280, GTX 285, GTX 295

ATI Radeon™ series
9500, 9600, 9800
X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
2400, 2600, 2900
3450, 3650, 3850, 3870
4850, 4870

For Laptops:
Running any Windows, you will need:
512MB extra RAM
2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent
Intel GMA 3 or above graphics card (Other Mobile cards are unkown)

Well there's my system requirements. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about so don't be harsh if you think this is completely wrong because it probably is. If you have any better requirements, post them!

Well there's my system requirements. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about so don't be harsh if you think this is completely wrong because it probably is. If you have any better requirements, post them!

I'd think the minimum GPU would probably start at the Radeon X1000 series and the Geforce 7 series (which are ~5 years old and have DX9.0c support) - the Radeon 9 series and Geforce FX series are 8 years old and barely adequate for Civ 4. I'd put the "Recommended" specs at the Geforce 9 series or Radeon 3000 series or higher.

On the mobile side, I'd guess the bare minimum would be the GMA X3100, but you wouldn't actually want to play with that.

are the water graphics system the same as the one in civ 4 colonization? because they look similar too me

I'd think the minimum GPU would probably start at the Radeon X1000 series and the Geforce 7 series (which are ~5 years old and have DX9.0c support) - the Radeon 9 series and Geforce FX series are 8 years old and barely adequate for Civ 4. I'd put the "Recommended" specs at the Geforce 9 series or Radeon 3000 series or higher.

On the mobile side, I'd guess the bare minimum would be the GMA X3100, but you wouldn't actually want to play with that.

I'd agree with that. I think the game might be able to run on a GeForce 6 series but it wouldnt be really fun, probably a lot of lag and terrible graphics. I don't really know much about the Radeon performance because I've never used them before.

Hey guys!
Could you tell me if you think my PC can handle civ 5?

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
CPU Speed: 2.66 GHz Performance Rated at: 5.852 GHz
RAM: 3.2 GB
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 6001), 32-bit
Video Card: Intel(R) GMA 3100TRACE
Video RAM: 286.0 MB
Pixel Shader version: 2.0

That's a pretty good computer, though I suggest changing the OS to 64-bit Windows 7, and if possible upgrade the Video Card

Why hasnt 2k posted the specs yet? That would make all this speculation less complicated and people could stop making these kind of threads

Dont get me wrong, I love 2k and Greg, but seriously they could make things a lottle bit easier on us and let us know what is really going on with this game. Greg, if you see this, please, PLEASE either give us a demo so we can know if our systems can run this or post the specs! :sad:

Why hasnt 2k posted the specs yet? That would make all this speculation less complicated and people could stop making these kind of threads

Dont get me wrong, I love 2k and Greg, but seriously they could make things a lottle bit easier on us and let us know what is really going on with this game. Greg, if you see this, please, PLEASE either give us a demo so we can know if our systems can run this or post the specs! :sad:

didn't Starcraft 2 release system requirements less than a week before release? and they had a public beta...

didn't Starcraft 2 release system requirements less than a week before release? and they had a public beta...

I have no idea but that would be great for Civ 5. Just a confirmation would be nice.

I have no idea but that would be great for Civ 5. Just a confirmation would be nice.

What I meant was despite many people running it they still didn't know the requirements, so I doubt we will get the system specs before September

What I meant was despite many people running it they still didn't know the requirements, so I doubt we will get the system specs before September

by "beta" you mean demo right?

and yes I know we wont likely get the specs before september, but I think that if they tell us earlier you will get more pre-orders, which is more guaranted purchases.

Nah, they will not release them too soon. They would have very little to gain by releasing the minimum specs, and they have way more to gain by assuring that the game will run even on several year old laptops, even if they do not go into detail about whay system you will need.

Nah, they will not release them too soon. They would have very little to gain by releasing the minimum specs, and they have way more to gain by assuring that the game will run even on several year old laptops, even if they do not go into detail about whay system you will need.

The sad part is that, that is true. They wouls have more to gain by making people believe the game will run on their system, run out and buy it, and then get super pissed when it dosent work. They could go and look up the specs after release, but alot of the people who play this may not just because of how 2K and Firaxis say that it will run on any system made in the past five years (which I have doubts about because of how different computers can have great system specs but a bad graphics card or vice versa)

by "beta" you mean demo right?

and yes I know we wont likely get the specs before september, but I think that if they tell us earlier you will get more pre-orders, which is more guaranted purchases.

No, I mean Beta testing.
nah they have more to gain by saying it'll run on almost anything modern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom