Taming Acheron the red dragon

Horadrim

Chieftain
I read somewhere this is possible, can it be done with a standard hunter? Is it worth the effort?

Best is you try beastmasters (buildable on Animal Mastery) if you want to be sure to get him ("normal" hunters only work when they somehow get the hero-promotion. As do Recon-Heroes. Provided you then pick subdue best promotion. But then you still need animal Mastery to unlock it...).

Otherwise divine tier 4 Units with Channeling 3 and Command 3 or 4 (last one needs Order state-religion sadly...) offer a neat chance upon defeating him. (50% / 70% respectively.)

Be sure to "feed" him some units before capturing though to get him enough XP to pick Mobility I. Otherwise hes a sitting duck. :(

A Bestmaster should beat Acheron without all to much effort. Especially if you pre-feed him for the needed XP and the beastmaster allready has some promotions. ;)

Anything with Command I-IV can convert him, although it's not a sure thing so you might have to reload. This includes Chalid and all of the Priest units. And, as Blackmantle says, he needs Mobility I to be able to move. Honestly, IMO he's not worth the effort as he's just a 1-movement 19-power unit with little special, much weaker than Eurabatres and Abashi. Beastmasters can do it, too, but they come later than Chalid and are often a serious diversion from your research path.

Yes, and priests of the Order only get a 70% chance at best. Beast masters are best, but, as Verily said, he isn't to good, because he does only get 2 movement points. Actually, his greatest use is protecting stacks, by having the highest defence.

Chalid can't get command 4 (it requires Order state religion, and he will abandon you if you leave the Empyrean) and Dragons are immune to his attack spells anyway. Order Paladins of Sphenor would be best for capturing him this way.

There is a 100% change that he can be captured by a unit with Subdue Beast. This promotion require Animal Mastery and can only be given to recon Heroes, but Beastmasters start with it too.

(In my version the best unit to use would be a Grigori adventurer who, though the spell I added that lets Grigori heroes revert back to adventurers, has spent time as a Dragon Slayer, a Beastmaster, and a Luonnatar before becoming an Immortal.)

Well im actually calabim and unlukily enough ive got 1 damn manna node and thats death. Plus its multiplayer so no reload, i have the dragon cornered so i think ill just feed him to my vamps.

You don't need mana to capture him. Rush Animal Mastery if you can, and throw 4 beast masters at him. He gives lots of xp... But yeah, feed him a few scouts first.

Don't forget meteor and CotD spell - has anyone seen CotD since Kael patched it to found 'later'?

Chalid can't get command 4 (it requires Order state religion, and he will abandon you if you leave the Empyrean) and Dragons are immune to his attack spells anyway. Order Paladins of Sphenor would be best for capturing him this way.

I meant that Chalid and the Priests can get lower-level Command upgrades, not Command IV specifically. Sure, your odds are 50% instead of 70% on Command III, but if you care that much, you'll be reloading to get him anyway.

I just captured him with a flesh golem that had eaten a beastmaster. It was an easy fight, but that golem was heavily promoted. I then ate him to gain sentry II and magic immune... I was hoping to gain dragon as well but looks like flesh golems can't get racial promotions.

On a related topic, how can I disable the constant noise Acheron makes? It really annoys me, but I can't find where in the XML it is defined.

I then ate him to gain sentry II and magic immune...

:lol: ..... for some reason I found that terribly funny.

"Oscer Myer's Dragon meat is good for growing children, helping to develop strong bones and keen eyesight. Its also a part of a balanced diet. So, what are you waiting for? Dragon, it's what's for dinner!"

On a related topic, how can I disable the constant noise Acheron makes? It really annoys me, but I can't find where in the XML it is defined.

There's a thread somewhere around here that discusses that, but I can't seem to find it now. I think Kael posted a solution.

Have some tissues handy if you use the molibility trick to attack with Acheron. For the eardrum blood and all.

I actually just did this, as the Svarts. I had a hunter that I kept and upgraded for the entire game, and she was a beastmaster and AWESOME by the time I faced him.

I used a huge stack of mercs with dance of blades cast on them, so they'd get at least one swing in before he ate them. By the time I ran out of mercs, he was either too wounded or too fat to defeat my beastmaster. Either way, victory is mine!

Well, 11 years passed since last post on subject.
I am trying to use Command III units to capture Acheron, but it does not work. I tried to reload 5 times and every time 4 dwarven druids used the courtesy of crushing the dragon, the 5 sons and the 11 disciples, protected by some nullstone golem that eat fire elementhal for breakfast. But never none gets captured.
Do I miss something? Some update messed up?
I use FFH2 v0.41o with MNAI v2.8.0u.

Getting 4 units with command 3 to "not capture" is only 1 chance out of 16.. so it's rare/strange that you didn't even get one disciple/son but it's possible, like sometimes we lose combat with 94%chances of victory.

however reloading will not help you unless you opened the options with "different results on reload" or something like that (on game creation).
If you didn't, if it failed once, and you reload, and play the same way it'll fail every re-try (the randomizer picks the exact same numbers/results).
the only ways to change the outcome are :
-pass turn, try next turn (new set of randomized numbers)
- have some other actions that use the "randomizer" interspaced before you have attack with the command3 druids: have some other units attacking before, or have an other unit somewhere fight something.

Doesn't the Subdue Beast promotion work on acheron?
Yes, it does, as well as Drifa and Abashi. Not sure about Eurabatres.

Well, 11 years passed since last post on subject.
I am trying to use Command III units to capture Acheron, but it does not work. I tried to reload 5 times and every time 4 dwarven druids used the courtesy of crushing the dragon, the 5 sons and the 11 disciples, protected by some nullstone golem that eat fire elementhal for breakfast. But never none gets captured.
Do I miss something? Some update messed up?
I use FFH2 v0.41o with MNAI v2.8.0u.
Acheron has the Magic Immune promotion, so it makes sense Command wouldn't work. As for the Sons of Asena, would the Loyalty promotion block Command? I can't recall.
"different results on reload" or something like that (on game creation).
"New random seed on reload"

Top Bottom