Teaching History with Civ

Rhye

's and Fall creator
Hello,
I'm sure it has been asked before, but I would like to hear your advice regarding using Civ as a tool for teaching world history.
I wonder if any of you has attempted that, and if any of you is a teacher/lecturer (esp. university level, a course on "Digital History"), what advices you could give.

In my opinion, Civ2, Civ4, Civ5 or FreeCiv would be possibilities. Civ5 would be the best but would be limited to the teacher's own computer.
As some of you may know, I've made Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod for civ4, and currently making the civ5 version: the mod is a kind of simulator that can produce uchronias (alternative history). And it could also be good for showing Geo-History rather than simply history, as one can see each civ's geographical situation for any given time, like an historical atlas.
Moreover, historical scenarios could be used or made on purpose for the teaching subject.
However, the question is what can be the concrete use of it.

I'd be glad to hear any advice. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Civ might be a nice introductory tool to teach world history on an elementary school level.
I will refrain from further comment due to how much I've enjoyed your mod.

I agree that Civ isn't the best tool to present history. Some years ago a canadian company used it in a school setting (I don't recall if you were part of the project!)

Civ might be a nice introductory tool to teach world history on an elementary school level.
I will refrain from further comment due to how much I've enjoyed your mod.

Poland was of strong IRL. Poland not is of strong enough in Civ6.

Hello,
I'm sure it has been asked before, but I would like to hear your advice regarding using Civ as a tool for teaching world history.
I wonder if any of you has attempted that, and if any of you is a teacher/lecturer (esp. university level, a course on "Digital History"), what advices you could give.

In my opinion, Civ2, Civ4, Civ5 or FreeCiv would be possibilities. Civ5 would be the best but would be limited to the teacher's own computer.

Hello. Nice to see you post here!

I'm not a history teacher either. But I will comment: I don't think civ would be very appealing for university level history. It's just too simple in its mechanics. Let's leave bad, excessively simplified models for the economists :D My impression is that few people go into history at university level, those who do are interested in details.
But I could see civ being appealing for history students in lower levels. I think civ2 and freeciv do not have enough "eye candy" for young students now. Can't comment on Civ5 because I hardly tried it. As a simple demonstration of "history could have gone differently" civ is interesting, and I'm thinking of your mod...

As some of you may know, I've made Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod for civ4, and currently making the civ5 version: the mod is a kind of simulator that can produce uchronias (alternative history). And it could also be good for showing Geo-History rather than simply history, as one can see each civ's geographical situation for any given time, like an historical atlas.

Your mod for civ4 was excellent! I liked how each run produced a different scenario when I took over my chosen civilization (usually wasn't any of the early ones).

Thank you for some of the useful comments.

My actual idea is not to use civ as a game.
I am thinking that civ map could be used as a canvas, making it a GIS (Geographic Information System) where data can be added.
In this way, scripted data can be imported and reenact maps at different times.

I don't know if it matters if I reply anymore since 5 months passed but I wanted to say that I learned a TON of history from Civ (more specifically Civ 4).
I have started playing Civ 4 since I was 10 (though at the time I only spawned units and declared war on everyone:lol:) because my Dad was a big fan and he used to play a lot.
That is why today I am so fascinated with history and am planning on going to an Archeological site in Siberia (hopefully trying to find Genghis's grave!)I
Best of luck on the Civ 5 RFC mod!

I just learned about Zulus and Iroquois because Civ 5, before this game I was tottally no aware about this civilizations.

The base games aren't very good for teaching history. However, the Scenarios expansion for Civ II and your own mods for Civ 3 and 4 are great for teaching it at an elementary or middle-school level.

Top Bottom