Tech quotes & Pedia Entries

Prince
Post new tech quotes and pedia text for missing entries here.

Here's some tech quotes for some techs without any: If you can think of a better quote post it.

Advanced Computers
"Supercomputers will achieve one human brain capacity by 2010,
and personal computers will do so by about 2020."
- Ray Kurzweil

Amphibious Warfare
"Semper Fi". - Marine Corps Motto,

Athletics
"There is no substitute for athletics" - Robert Francis Kennedy

Battlefield Medicine
"It is the most sickening sight of the war, this tide of wounded flowing back."
- Dr. William T. G. Morton,

Biological Warfare
"In vast laboratories in the Ministry of Peace, teams of experts are at work
searching for new and deadlier gases; or soluble poisons capable of destroying the
vegetation of whole continents; or for breeds of germs immunised against all
possible antibodies."
- George Orwell - 1984

City Planning
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood."
- Daniel Burnham

Civil Engineering
"There can be little doubt that in many ways the story of bridge building is the story
of civilization. By it we can readily measure an important part of a people's progress."
- Franklin D Roosevelt

Invention
"Necessity, who is the mother of invention."
- Plato

Legalized Gambling
"Let it Ride!"
- Anon

Logistics
"Amateurs talk tactics, dilettantes talk strategy, and professionals talk logistics."
- General Omar Bradley

Megastructure Engineering
"We shape our buildings, thereafter they shape us.
- Winston Churchill

Psychology
"Like the physical, the psychical is not necessarily in reality what it appears to us to be."
- Sigmund Freud

Social Contract
"The strongest is never strong enough to be always the master, unless he transforms strength into right, and obedience into duty."
- Jean Jacques Rousseau

Supersonic Flight
"If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to push it, and when to back off."
- Chuck Yeagar

Virtual Reality
"Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators,
in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts.."
- Willaim Gibson

Oil Panting
"No one is an artist unless he carries his picture in his head before painting it,
and is sure of his method and composition."
- Claude Monet

Naval Cannon
"The cannon will not suffer any other sound to be heard for miles and for years around it."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Naturopathy
"As is the gardener, such is the garden."
- Hebrew Proverb

Marxism
"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs."
- Karl Marx

Labor Union
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms is treason. If a man tells you
he trusts America, yet fears labor, he is a fool. There is no America without labor, and
to fleece the one is to rob the other."
- Abraham Lincoln

Automated Traffic
"When Solomon said that there was a time and a place for everything he had not
encountered the problem of parking an automobile."
- Bob Edwards

Well, here are a few from a list (back from RoM 2.4) I had, if I find anymore, I'll contribute. I'll leave off the ones 0100010 did.

*Guerrilla Warfare
“In guerrilla warfare they taught us to use our weaknesses as strengths.”-Edward "Brill" Lyle “Enemy of the State”

*Juris Prudence
“If I didn't have a sense of humor, how could I stand this trial now?”- Hermann Göring

*Agricultural Tools
“Agriculture represents the single most profound ecological change in the entire 3.5 billion-year history of life.”-Niles Eldredge “The Sixth Extinction”

*Grand War
“Only a fool or a fraud talks tough or romantically about war.”-John McCain

*Terra Computer
"A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy."-Joseph Campbell

*Sentient Earth
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called "rain". "-Michael McClary

Combustion (replace existing one)
"The automobile engine will come, and then I will consider my life's work complete."
- Rudolf Diesel

Motorized Transportation (use the existing one attached to combustion)

Perspective
"Only the artist, not the fool, discovers that which nature hides."
- Filippo Brunelleschi

Quantum Physics
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy,
that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them."
- Niels Bohr

Refining
"There's an ocean of oil under our feet, and no one can get to it but me."
- Danial Day lewis as Danial Plainview in 'There Will Be Blood.'

Superstring Theory
"String theory is 21st-century physics that accidentally found its way into the 20th century"
- Edward Witten

Trade
"He who wants to barter, usually knows what is best for him."
- Ethiopian Proverb

*Political Philosophy
"When the prince needs to be deceitful, though, he must not appear that way. Indeed he must always exhibit five virtues in particular: mercy, honesty, humaneness, uprightness, and religiousness"
-Niccolo Machiavelli

*Electronics
"Our rockets can find Halley's comet, and fly to Venus with amazing accuracy, but side by side with these scientific and technical triumphs is an obvious lack of efficiency in using scientific achievements for economic needs, and many Soviet household appliances are of poor quality"
-Mikhail Gorbachev

*Vertical Flight
"Get to the chopper!"
-Dutch "Predator"

Civipedia entries for civics not done.
-Technocracy: Technocracy is a form of government in which engineers, scientists, and other technical experts are in control of decision making in their respective fields. Technocracy is a governmental or organizational system where decision makers are selected based upon how highly knowledgeable they are, rather than how much political capital they hold. Technocrats are individuals with technical training and occupations who perceive many important societal problems as being solvable, often while proposing technology-focused solutions

-Paradise: Ecotopias are governments which focus a return to nature while maintaining technology. The use of high technologies is used to reduce pollution while maintain a high standard of living. Ecotopias are vulnerable to war, considering it being the greatest threat to the environment.

-Super Human: The use of technologies to genetically engineered supermen, who are immune to disease, have perfect metabolisms, and have other qualities which would never arise naturally in humanity. Those born outside of genetic engineering serve as an underclass, which does tasks below the class of supermen, but are still too expensive to take care of throw robotics.

-Supremacy: World domination in the past was largely a dream due to the rebellious nature of protectorates and limits on populations which can be put under direct rule combined with the slow flow of communication. With the rise of instantaneous communication, policies can be changed and troops can be moved with such precision and timing which solves the problems of ages past.

-Post-Scarcity: With robots producing goods around the clock, the need for all but the most skilled labor became obsolete for mass production. Without the need for labor, people had to figure out what to do with all the time, and cheap goods. This led to an age of great excess and decadence, as well as various health effects which accompany such indulgence.

*Glassblowing
“People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.”
-English Proverb

*Computer Networks
“I think that the online world has actually brought books back. People are reading because they're reading the damn screen. That's more reading than people used to do.”
- Bill Murray

*Architecture
“I doubt if there is anything in the world uglier than a Midwestern city.”
-Frank Lloyd Wright

*Mercantilism
“A country that has no mines of its own must undoubtedly draw its gold and silver from foreign countries, in the same manner as one that has no vineyards of its own must draw its wines”
-Adam Smith “The Wealth of Nations”

*Androids
"The greatest task before civilization at present is to make machines what they ought to be, the slaves, instead of the masters of men."
- Havelock Ellis

*Flintlock
“Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody -- except bad people...”
-Charlton Heston

*Matchlock
“"History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so."
-Adolf Hitler

*Semi-automatic Weapons
“An average Zulu is any more than a match for an average Englishman in bodily capacity. But he flees from an English boy, because he fears the boy’s revolver or those who will use it for him.”
-Mahatma Gandhi

*Automatic Weapons
“'Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.".”
-Douglas MacArthur

*Motion Pictures
“A movie is never finished, only abandoned.”
-George Lucas

*Compulsory Education
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?"
-George W. Bush

*Advanced Rocketry
“All I desired was to be true to my way of life, to uphold the science of rocketry in my country and to retire with a clean conscience”
-Abdul Kalam

*Advanced Computers
“A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy.”
-Joseph Campbell

*Modern Healthcare
“Listen, if you're having trouble finding a vein for an IV, please don't page me. If you're desperate, we're lucky: this is a city hospital, there are plenty of heroin addicts who are quite adept at this.”
-J.D. “Scrubs”

*Social Contract
“Wherever Law ends, Tyranny begins.”
-John Locke

Artificial Intelligence
"A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God."
- Alan Perlis

Interstellar Travel
"The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all its eggs in."
- Robert Heinlein

Laser
"The atoms become like a moth, seeking out the region of higher laser intensity."
- Steven Chu

Screw Propeller
"Have you ever considered a spiral oar?"
- James Watt

Globalization
"It has been said that arguing against globalization is like arguing against the laws of gravity."
- Kofi Annan

Photography
"Not everybody trusts paintings but people believe photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Tourism
"The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist see what he has come to see."
- Gilbert Keith Chesterton

I'd like to see it too, but Zap already said that he won't make it... Anyone with nice english and voice?

I was thinking that too, someone with good english skills (at least that good that can pronounce words correctly.)
Maybe someone who has english as a motherlanguange.

I have a classic British accent and a deep voice, but I'm also completely untrained. That said, I have had American women to tell me just to keep on talking about anything, simply because they loved the sound of my voice :lol:

Sorry if this is thread necro, but this is the appropriate thread for this.

Zappara has kindly produced a list of missing tech pedia entries, so let's get to work.

I'll start.

Smithing: A blacksmith is a person who creates objects from iron or steel by forging the metal; i.e., by using tools to hammer, bend, and cut. Blacksmiths produce things like wrought iron gates, grills, railings, light fixtures, furniture, sculpture, tools, agricultural implements, decorative and religious items, cooking utensils, horse shoes and weapons. Blacksmiths work with "black" metals, typically iron. The black color comes from fire scale, a layer of oxides that forms on the surface of the metal during heating. The term 'smith' originates from the word 'smite', which means 'to hit'. Thus, a blacksmith is a person who smites black metal. Blacksmiths work by heating pieces of wrought iron or steel until the metal becomes soft enough to be shaped with hand tools, such as a hammer, anvil and chisel. Heating is accomplished by the use of a forge fueled by propane, natural gas, coal, charcoal, or coke.

Quote: In a blacksmith's house all knives are wooden-Spanish Proverb

Telegraph: A telegraph is a device for transmitting and receiving messages over long distances, i.e., for telegraphy. The word telegraph alone now generally refers to an electrical telegraph. Wireless telegraphy is also known as 'CW', for Continuous Wave (a carrier modulated by on-off keying), as opposed to the earlier radio technique of using a spark gap. A telegraph message sent by an electrical telegraph operator (or telegrapher) using Morse code, or a printing telegraph operator using plain text was known as a telegram or cablegram, often shortened to a cable or a wire message. Later, a telegram sent by a Telex network, a switched network of teleprinters similar to a telephone network, was known as a telex message. Before long distance telephone services were readily available or affordable, telegram services were very popular and the only way to convey information speedily over very long distances. Telegrams were often used to confirm business dealings and were commonly used to create binding legal documents for business dealings.

Quote: What hath God wrought?-Samuel F. B. Morse (first morse code message)

Crop Rotation: Crop rotation is the practice of growing a series of dissimilar types of crops in the same area in sequential seasons for various benefits such as to avoid the build up of pathogens and pests that often occurs when one species is continuously cropped. Crop rotation also seeks to balance the fertility demands of various crops to avoid excessive depletion of soil nutrients. A traditional component of crop rotation is the replenishment of nitrogen through the use of green manure in sequence with cereals and other crops. It is one component of polyculture. Crop rotation can also improve soil structure and fertility by alternating deep-rooted and shallow-rooted plants.

Quote: Farm when it's sunny, read when it rains.-Japanese Proverb

Source for all: Wikipedia

Ok, I got one.....

Algebra: Algebra is a major branch of mathematics concerning the study of the rules of operations (i.e. addition and multiplication) on sets of numbers that are often represented by symbols, called variables. Algebra can be divided into several major classifications, including elementary algebra, linear algebra, modern algebra, and algebraic geometry. Elementary algebra is the most fundamental and common form of algebra and can be taught to students who have little knowledge of mathematics beyond basic arithmetic. The more advanced forms of algebra can be used to solve enormously complex and varied equations involving algebraic concepts such as polynomials, matrices, vector space, and rings. Algebra is essential to the theory of mathematical analysis and differential equations. Its applications extend beyond the physical sciences into, for example, biology and economics.

Quote: “It's strange how few of the world's great problems are solved by people who remember their algebra.” – Herbert Prochnow

Stockmarket

It was not until 1531 when the first institution roughly approximating a stock market emerged, in Antwerp, Belgium. However rather than buying and selling shares of companies, brokers and lenders congregated there to “deal in business, government and even individual debt issues.”

This changed in the 1600’s, when Britain, France, and the Netherlands all chartered voyages to the East Indies. Realizing that few explorers could afford conducting an overseas trade voyage, limited liability companies were formed to raise money from investors, who received a share of profits commensurate with their investment.

The Dutch East India company was the first company to allow outside investors to purchase shares entitling them to a fixed percentage of the company’s profits. They were also the first company to issue stocks and bonds to the general public, doing so via the Amsterdam Stock Exchange in 1602.

Quote "It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong."
George Soros

Modern Health Care

Health care systems vary around the world, reflecting customs and history. What all Health care has in common is the the treatment and management of illness, as well as the preservation of health through services offered by the medical, dental, pharmaceutical, clinical laboratory sciences, nursing, and allied health professions. Health care embraces all the goods and services designed to promote health, including preventive, curative and palliative interventions, whether directed to individuals or to populations.

Quote "The most sacred thing I do is care, ... Today I am in charge of picking a great new healthcare plan. Right? That's what this is all about. Does that make me their doctor? Um, yes."
Michael Scott (The office)

Top Bottom