Term 2 High Council

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
Term II City Council

I have put my intent for this thread in a spoiler for now, as it is currently under re-organization. ;)

Current Discussions:
How Best to Use the High Council
City Specialization

Spoiler :
Intent of Thread: This thread is intended so that all government officials can maintain communication amongst each other and work together as a cohesive unit. Normal discussions on intention of plans per office are to be held in the specific officers thread or in the Citizens forum. Discussions here are meant to stabilize the communications between each office and keep a cohesive plan of action throughout the empire. My desire is to use this thread to keep all of the officers on the same page.

Notice to Citizens: Please leave this thread for the government officials only. Any concerns you may have as citizens please discuss them in the appropiate officials thread or in the citizens sub-forum.

A Simple Example: More military units are required. All the Elders would discuss in this thread what city would be available, or could afford, the time to build them and who could not. The Elders may also discuss amongst the citizens in other threads what options to take, but it would be this thread where all the officers would officially discuss what action to take.

I ask that each post made by an officer have in its title what that post is regarding and head the post with your title, such as in the next post.

Chieftain Methos

My first order of business is to discuss amongst the Elders how best to specialize our cities. My intent is to specialize using these standards:
  • Science/Commerce: This city will allot most of its land to the building of cottages and will focus on their growth. Build queues will consist primarily of those that increase either :science: or :gold:.
  • Production/Military: This city will contain no cottages and irrigate any land capable of irrigation and mine all surrounding hills. Build queues will consist primarily of those that increase :hammers: and military units.
  • GP Farm: This city will consist mostly of farmable land and will contain no cottages. Build queues will consist primarily of those that increase :health: and :GP:.

I realize not all cities can or will fall into the above guidelines, but the above is my preference if at all possible. I would like our current Elders to take a close look at their cities and discuss amongst their citizens what would best fit their city and how that specialization can help or affect their neighboring cities. After you have come to your own opinions, please return here and discuss it with your fellow Elders.

This is a good idea.

However, I must ask some questions:

1. Will appointed officials be entitled to speak in this thread?
2. Should we encourage non-officials to read the thread?
3. Will we allow former officials from this DemoGame to speak in this thread? They may have something important to say, especially just after they leave office.
4. Will we be able to invite non-officials to speak in this thread if we want their input? For instance, we might know that Citizen X was an official in a previous DG and have experience with a similar situation. Would we then be able to ask him or her to post and apply this information?

On another note, considering that we're more than one city, I think that "City Council" isn't the right name. Maybe we could try "National Council," "High Council," or "Privy Council." Perhaps even "Cabinet."

All in all though, an excellent idea!

Yours, etc.,

Lockesdonkey, Judge Advocate

However, I must ask some questions:

1. Will appointed officials be entitled to speak in this thread?

Yes, if it pertains to them, as in an official attempts something outside of their powers or something similar. This thread is meant for official use if possible. Remember, officers and citizens should still maintain their own threads on the subjects we discuss here, but the officers should use this thread to discuss amongst the officers.

2. Should we encourage non-officials to read the thread?

Yes. Anyone can read this and I encourage them to do so, as the citizen can than go back to the local thread to discuss it amongst other citizens. Typically citizens seem to stick in discussions that they like, as in those who may prefer city x. They can pay attention to the discussion in the council thread and discuss it with the official in the common thread. The official than makes their decision or opinion known here in the council thread.

3. Will we allow former officials from this DemoGame to speak in this thread? They may have something important to say, especially just after they leave office.

I'd prefer that they don't, since after all they have full access to all other threads outside of this one. They can easily discuss in those threads with no limits.

4. Will we be able to invite non-officials to speak in this thread if we want their input? For instance, we might know that Citizen X was an official in a previous DG and have experience with a similar situation. Would we then be able to ask him or her to post and apply this information?

Again, I'd prefer not, but remember there is such things as the quote tags. Quote tags don't have to be used in only that thread. You can quote a poster from one thread in another.

On another note, considering that we're more than one city, I think that "City Council" isn't the right name. Maybe we could try "National Council," "High Council," or "Privy Council." Perhaps even "Cabinet."

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the title, but I didn't have the time to create a better one (I was supposed to be working on my online class homework at the time). I'll ask a mod to switch it to High Council.

All in all though, an excellent idea!

Thanks! Hopefully this idea will work out.

Elder of the Capital checking in, I'll post my thread now too.

Anchor1

First topic I feel should be discussed: Military
How many fogbusters do you want, when and where? My city will try to help in the production.

The workers are under control of the Chieftain, correct?
I'd like the south one to mine the silver and then mine the plains hills near NotA.
I'd like the other two workers to mine the gold, it should be hooked on automatically.

The workers are under control of the Chieftain, correct?

Yes

I'd like the south one to mine the silver and then mine the plains hills near NotA.
I'd like the other two workers to mine the gold, it should be hooked on automatically.

Currently we have two workers and two cities. I don't see a problem with a worker being allocated to each city for the time being, but that also depends on the Elders needs as well as the Empire's.

@Robboo: Have you and your citizens come up with requests for our workers?

:hmm: I just opened the save and we clearly had 3 workers, 1 on the silver, 2 on the gold. Am I going :crazyeye:, or are you? :D

Originally Posted by Lockesdonkey View Post
Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the title, but I didn't have the time to create a better one (I was supposed to be working on my online class homework at the time). I'll ask a mod to switch it to High Council.

What about Tribal Council!?! (sorry for posting in your thread just though tribal council was worth saying)

Well I need a worker to mine the gold hills and once we decide on a specialization then we can adjust the rest of the tiles. Let me know when you need my city to build workers or settlers for the good of our nation. I can build chariots or other units if you want more military. Falcons minding the city during unforseen absence for the next 36 hours or so.

I'm concerned that the restrictive nature of this thread will give the impression of eliteism. I'm not prepared (yet) to require a change, but would like to make a suggestion.

It is a very good idea to have a thread of this type to coordinate the aspects of who will post which instructions. However, the policy discussion should (I hesitate to say must without first giving you a chance to consider this) occur in a public thread which is open to comment from all.

I'm concerned ....

:hmm: The problem I have with allowing everyone access is losing track of the statements made by the officers. Not just myself, but the other officers losing track of each other. After all, how can the officers know what the other officers statements are if they have to go through a couple pages of posts to find them.

I understand your point and am willing to compromise. After all, this is an experiment of mine, it is not mandatory.

Instead, what we'll try is this:

Term 2 High Council thread: Anyone is allowed to post in the thread asking for the Chieftain to bring up in council specific topics. If the Chieftain feels it is worth bringing up to the Council, he will create a thread titled:

COUNCIL: The Discussion

All citizens may post in "Council" thread, but all officers who are speaking with official authority should post with their official title at the beginning of their post.

Let's try this and see how it goes. Remember everyone, I'm just experimenting with this and I'm up for suggestions. I won't edit the OP yet, as it still might change. As a matter of fact, I'll bring the discussion of this discussion to the People.

Edit: That's odd. I guess when the title name is changed, you lose your subscription to it.

Sounds good for now. :)

See if this triggers your subscription -- edits don't it takes an actual new post. But thread title changes should not affect it since it's a t=threadid link.

See if this triggers your subscription -- edits don't it takes an actual new post. But thread title changes should not affect it since it's a t=threadid link.

That worked, though like you said, I wouldn't think the name change did it. I checked UserCP several times expecting it to pop up, but it didn't.

I have updated the OP to a temporary statement for now, plus I have added a list of current discussions. Hopefully we can come to a more stable council soon.

<Jump to Top>

@Methos: To make bookmarks ("anchors"), use this where you want to link to:
[set_anchor=anchor1]This is the anchor[/set_anchor]

and this where you want the link:
[anchor=anchor1]Click here to go to anchor 1[/anchor]

example:
Click here to go to anchor 1

The benefit of this is that the page doesn't have to be reloaded. I *think* it only works inside a thread/page though.

@Methos: To make bookmarks ("anchors"), use this ...

Yeah, I know how to use anchors, as you can see from the FAQ: Welcome to the HoF thread I created. Makes things really nice.

The benefit of this is that the page doesn't have to be reloaded. I *think* it only works inside a thread/page though.

I didn't know this. I thought you could only use anchors inside of a single post. The benefit to using them on the entire page could be really nice! Thanks!

Top Bottom