Term VI: Commander-In-Chief

In my opinion, we don't have to take and hold the Gong Island. We just need to key on the major Culture contributors for Gong. This is if we are worried about the 100k victory. If your debating the attack on Gong for other reasons, then other factors can be considered. We don't need to obliterate them at this point, just disable their immediate threat to us.

If we just want them to get hurt, we should leave that task to Free (+ Council). That way, we'll hurt two teams, and don't get hurt ourselves. I think we can be quite sure Free won't just let Gong win 100k.

Let me know if anyone can see any areas in the caravel pictures in the SotE thread where there might still be an island. I'm starting to think that maybe we should give up our quest for Atlantis and return to scouting coastline.

Let me know if anyone can see any areas in the caravel pictures in the SotE thread where there might still be an island. I'm starting to think that maybe we should give up our quest for Atlantis and return to scouting coastline.
I think the Caravel East of Claymore should go south until it's about East of Karabela, then go East home. The one West of Council can go due North and the one NorthWest of us can circle Gong clockwise. The one East of that little bit of Free should investigate it.

If we just want them to get hurt, we should leave that task to Free (+ Council). That way, we'll hurt two teams, and don't get hurt ourselves. I think we can be quite sure Free won't just let Gong win 100k.

It would be nice to wait until if Free is fully engaged in an invasion of Gong (with council help or not) and then hit their homeland. :mwaha:

I know the chances of that are remote, but I can dream can't I?

Turn 168 - our caravel near Babe has disappeared. No battle report from Babe, so it must have been sunk by a privateer :(.

I guess this is it, next turn Free will have Darwin's Voyage and we'll get the .. .. .. .. end of the stick. Sorry I'm so negative, but that's how it looks from here.

I don't know what's going on with Rick, if he's really trying to help things along with wotan or set up a francise. I feel neutral on it now. We still need to kill them anyway.

Just realized I was in the wrong term's thread...

GONG's coastline is almost completely defogged, and FREE's will be soon also. Where should our caravels go next?

Probably home to prepare for upgrading to transport. Our marines will need help getting to that island we want.

BTW: Once marines are available, do we want a defender in each our 1-tile islands?

We are now building 2.5 infantry per turn. Do we want artillery units as well, or just fighting units? Yanagiba will have every imrpovement soon, and it is currently at 42 spt - should we build artillery there, or should I see if I can get it to 45 spt for infantry? Five infantry for every artillery (for now) sound OK, or some other ratio? Or build infantry only until we have a certain number, then switch several towns to artillery?

Do we have any high shield towns that have yet to add a barracks? If so, that's where the artillery should come from. If we decide that we'll need a lot of artillery, then we should pick a 40spt city, sell it's barracks and dedicate it to building artillery.

Will we keep blockading our coast, or will we put our infantry in our cities, and bombard any units that land?

Here are our top cities by shields per turn:

The top 5 all have barracks. Yanagiba does not have barracks and is inland. Katana, Georgetown, and Wakizashi do not have barracks and are coastal. The next best is Zweihander - coal plant in 7, then 38 spt.

I assume that once marines are available, we will have to defend our cities.

Musing about our earliest attack date and how we could do it…

Council could conceivably complete Combustion on 190. Assuming we skip Espionage, we can be at Amphibious War on 199 (if we research Espionage, we can have Amphibious War on 200). Council is scheduled to take 9 turns researching Flight, but I suspect it will be more like 7 as the second researcher so say 197. We could have planes on 198 (assuming Council doesn’t “misclick” and/or “forget” to hit accept and assuming we prebuild to finish on that turn). On turn 199, we could rebase our planes to a carrier closer to the Bangles. Turn 200, we could bombard a Babe unit to death and land troops. Babe would get the first attack, but on turn 201 we could take the island.

Compare this to using marines. We have control over when Amphibious War will complete, so we can certainly prebuild 5 marines (1 in each barracks town) to complete on 200. Assuming we have enough transports, we can ship chain over to the Bangles and take the island on 200 with much less uncertainty.

Given those facts, I think we should plan to capture the Bangles with marines. We can certainly use air support to help, but I think we should expect the main fighting to be done by land units. Here is the way I envision an attack on turn 200:

The island has 11 tiles, so we need at least 3 full transports to be safe. Assuming Babe still has crap units on that island, I think that should be sufficient. I think on turn 199, we move 3 transports carrying 13 infantry within range of the Bangles and have 2 more transports preparing to ship chain from Dirk to the stack of 3. On turn 201, we complete 5 marines, load them into a transport in Dirk, then ship chain them over to the empty spots in our 3 transport stack. Marines attack a city and capture it, all the infantry are unloaded with movement available and clean up the other Babe units and towns.

Five transports should be no problem at all to get together. We currently have 3 caravels and 1 galleon (although 1 caravel is in danger from Babe’s frigates). If we continue building galleons from coastal towns until Combustion, then we should have another 4-5 galleons before we get Combustion so post-Combustion we can build fighting ships.

If we reach 10 transports, then we can use the identical plan on “Subcommittee Island” the following turn. We can have 5 transports set up in the same manner to bring units to Subcommittee Island. The same 5 marines that captured the Bangles can be ship chained back to our homeland, railroaded across and ship chained to the other island on turn 202.

The main danger I see might be a lack of infantry. By turn 200, we should be looking at about 40-45 infantry. If we send 13 in each direction, that doesn’t leave us an awful lot at home. We can ship most of them back in a turn or 2, but I don’t really know how we allocate our forces to guard 3 islands :hmm:.

Just some initial thoughts for discussion…

Turn 187 - As of next turn, we will have 7 boats capable of becoming transports (at a cost of 1140 gold). How many do we want? Should we stop with the transports and start prebuilding war ships in our coastal cities? Or should we rush a couple more galleons at 4 gold per shield so we can upgrade them at 3 gold per shield (instead of paying 4 gold per shield to rush a transport)?

What turn do you see us getting combustion? Are we ahead of schedule for attack with this plan? I mean are we really prepared.

If we can pump out the transports and warships on time, I would guess wait on the transports and build Infantry. But the extra cost isn't a concern.

Woundhealer will complete it's Factory! Depending on when we get Combustion, pre-building a heavy or quick warship is fine by me.

Everything looks good. Plenty of ship builders, plenty of Infantry builders.

We have 3 Babe-owned 11 tile islands not too far from us - one is "ours", one is "Council's", and one is "Babe's".

I think it is most important to take "ours" because that is the one virtually guaranteed to have the modern age resource we lack.

Taking the Council's has positives and negatives. It puts us in a position of power relative to the Council since we would control their resource flow, but it would also annoy them greatly. I'm not necessarily opposed to annoying them - at some point we are going to have to kill them, but I don't know if the benefits are worth the downside short-term. War will probably be breaking out all over the world, and it might be better to have someone in our corner until some teams are weakened severely instead of making another enemy out of Council this early.

Taking all 3 Babe-owned islands would also have the advantage that neither Babe nor GONG would have ivory. However, I'm not sure taking all 3 ourselves is a good idea - it might be stretching our forces a little thin. It would also take either more time or more boats to transport units. If we take ours and Babe's then Council will presumably take theirs, and BONG will still have lost all 3.

Where should our boats be positioned? Which direction (or directions) do we want to attack?

I think the island where button pusher met his eternal reward is priority because it's closer to free as well and would be useful as a staging area against them. Any more we can get would be good, but "subcommitee island" is a lowest priority although if we capture it we can allow council to settle it at a later time as a show of good will. ;) Iow, we don't need to bother with it, really, unless the other two are total pushovers.

Sounds good.

As Chamnix mentioned earlier, "War will soon be breaking out all over". As far as we've planned, we'll be taking a pair of Babe islands. I'm thinking we should probably consider razing and replacing the cities, gaining reduced flip risk and we can place the cities to our liking. I'd suggest that none of the cities be coastal as that will prevent Marine attacks. An airport in the city can provide the trade (since flight is due soon). Forcing them to land and getting the first shot will make the island easier to defend.

I guess the big question in my mind is after taking the 2 islands is what's next? We don't seem to be of a mind to initiate invading another nations homeland (I agree with this), so are we content to ramp up our defenses and keep researching towards Space (my choice) or are we going to build an invasion force to reply to any threat in force?

Top Bottom