Terra Incognita

It's been over a year and I must say that Terra Incognita is still my favorite map and ColBashar's little ( huge) change to FeatureGenerator.lua to avoide Ice plots blocking east <-> west passage goes with me in every map I play.

Thanks guys for a small but important contribution to playability fun.

Yeah it's fun to play, the only thing is, that you already know if there is an NEw World out there by the players u have already met in the Old World, but hey never mind :)

Incognita

Is it ok if i include this map script inside of my Shuffle Plus script?

Yeah it's fun to play, the only thing is, that you already know if there is an NEw World out there by the players u have already met in the Old World, but hey never mind :)

Incognita

As far as I know, the new world is always empty, or I didn't get your meaning.

Has anyone tried Terra Incognita with Gods & Kings? Is it ok?

Hello, I don't find this map generator with the in-game Steam browser. Is it still alive ?

I have it from the times of the old mod browser, so if you are interested I'll upload it.

As far as I know, the new world is always empty, or I didn't get your meaning.

Has anyone tried Terra Incognita with Gods & Kings? Is it ok?

I have it from the times of the old mod browser, so if you are interested I'll upload it.

Wait, will the AI not settle enything else?

I thought this was just a random map.

Wait, will the AI not settle enything else?

I thought this was just a random map.

Once you select Terra Incognita there are some new options to select from, the way I select the options is that the AI will start on the old country as with the vanilla Terra map which is one of my favorites, first to get to the new world start to settle it, plenty of room for all.

The Terra Incognita map differs from the Terra in several ways, the classic Terra will have very minimal luxury resources if any on the new world, never the hard to find ones from the old country but a lot of the strategic resources.

On the Terra Incognita you get also the "good ones" on the new country, there is also fine tuning with the Terra Incognita map, by choosing it you get several new options like will there be a new world? Will some of the AI start on the new world? Which is kind of Continents for me so I tick it off. Will the old world be connected? Which I always check yes, I think it means if the old world will be in one continent or scattered a bit. In general the old world on Terra Incognita is larger then the old world on Terra for the same map size setting, which also is to my liking.

Anyways, I've tested it with G&K and so far it's beautiful, one of the best features of Terra Incognita is that the tiles are more random, not blocks of grass, plane or desert, there are some mixtures to it.

I wish the author will upload it to steams workshop.

If you read throughout this thread you will come across a Lua function contributed by ColBashar which can be added to the map and what it does is that it prohibits the map generator from connecting the old world to the poles, so there is always a free passage around the globe.
ColBashar was kind enough to post a detailed answer to my question on implementing it, since then I use it a lot.

Once you select Terra Incognita there are some new options to select from, the way I select the options is that the AI will start on the old country as with the vanilla Terra map which is one of my favorites, first to get to the new world start to settle it, plenty of room for all.

The Terra Incognita map differs from the Terra in several ways, the classic Terra will have very minimal luxury resources if any on the new world, never the hard to find ones from the old country but a lot of the strategic resources.

On the Terra Incognita you get also the "good ones" on the new country, there is also fine tuning with the Terra Incognita map, by choosing it you get several new options like will there be a new world? Will some of the AI start on the new world? Which is kind of Continents for me so I tick it off. Will the old world be connected? Which I always check yes, I think it means if the old world will be in one continent or scattered a bit. In general the old world on Terra Incognita is larger then the old world on Terra for the same map size setting, which also is to my liking.

Anyways, I've tested it with G&K and so far it's beautiful, one of the best features of Terra Incognita is that the tiles are more random, not blocks of grass, plane or desert, there are some mixtures to it.

I wish the author will upload it to steams workshop.

If you read throughout this thread you will come across a Lua function contributed by ColBashar which can be added to the map and what it does is that it prohibits the map generator from connecting the old world to the poles, so there is always a free passage around the globe.
ColBashar was kind enough to post a detailed answer to my question on implementing it, since then I use it a lot.

Oh, sweet.

Hope he uploads it to the workshop, too, then.

map is cool but i don't think it's big enough. thanks anyway

Well, it depends, if you choose the old world to be connected you get a large continent for all the players and the new world is usually one big continent with a lot of scattered islands or two smaller continents and some islands, in total it's larger then the vanilla Terra map.

If you select that old world might be disconnected then you get one large continent and some smaller continents and some large islands for the old world and the new world as described above.

In general, Terra Incognita generates a map that is larger then vanilla Terra map, and when I play on Huge map size, it's really large, much larger then the vanilla Terra map on Huge settings, but Terra maps have the main old world smaller then when playing on Pangaea or one continent, that's for sure.

Has anyone played a game on this map where the new world was filled with new luxury resources? Or even any luxury resources? I love te idea of this map so much and the types of landmasses it produces. I also love that it provides an additional era of exploration and a way for civs to come bak and change the game midway through. But it never actually seems worth the happiness problems in the rennaissance to actually settle the continent. Usually I get one or two city sites and the second continent is mostly barren. Is there a way to fix that?

Has anyone played a game on this map where the new world was filled with new luxury resources? Or even any luxury resources? I love te idea of this map so much and the types of landmasses it produces. I also love that it provides an additional era of exploration and a way for civs to come bak and change the game midway through. But it never actually seems worth the happiness problems in the rennaissance to actually settle the continent. Usually I get one or two city sites and the second continent is mostly barren. Is there a way to fix that?

In my last game I found Gold, Dye, Incense all of which where on the old world but not in my possession, Crabs which were new, but mostly Oil and Coal which was good for me.

In general, regarding map generators and resources I know (and I'm no expert) from other modders that map generators that mess with resource placement cause problems with different mods or new expansions that might add new resources or place resources in a special scripted layout, map generators are best to not mess with resources, if it's true then it's a good thing Terra Incognita does nothing to resource placement, in the sense of of using this mod for many Civ V expansions to come.

I find this mod very useful to me, I always get new and interesting layouts and some mystery factor, but I know not to hope for extra fine resources.

I use one general mod by Cyrinno, it's called: Echoes of ages Plus. Amongst many interesting things the mod does is dealing with happiness in slightly different way, luxury resources give less happiness but you have more happiness generating buildings, although buildings happiness is counted as local happiness and not global as luxury resources are, it's still a nice way of reaching independence luxury wise and gaining happiness slower and more painfully through buildings.

Playing with Echoes of Ages makes the game a bit more difficult but certainly more rewarding, instead of the endless hunt for luxury resources I focus more on careful building and strategic resources which contribute a lot in this mod towards happiness, the use of outdated strategic resources in numerous ways in the late game is unique and interesting. (unique in my eyes, I usually stick with good mods for a very long time and don't shop around often).

Civ 5 has been engineered in such a way that map scripts and resources are linked, so it is not possible to write a map script that works with modded resources, and modded resources must be added to existing map scripts in order to work. You can look for Sirian's comments in the map script code to check, but in the end, it's just pitifully bad design.

Hello all,

I've tried different settings on Age, Temp. and Rainfall with no real impact.

I've enabled the console and selected standard size map with no CS and 6 civs so to get quick load time and used reveal all to scan the map.

I went through ages 3,4 and 5 billion years, changed between Arid and Wet, between Hot and cold, no noticeable changes.

Can someone confirm these tweaks aren't working?

EDIT: Apparently I've jumped the gun, I tried the same changes with the vanilla terra map, the same hardly ever noticed results, the impact of changing the various map parameters is very subtle, I wanted more desert and settings on Hot+Arid+5 billion years of age didn't produce more desert tiles than from what I get randomly with normal settings.

Any advice?

@EDIT: No need to answer my post, I should have searched a little bit deeper before doing tedious experiments on map settings.

1. No need to load new games with different settings to know what they do, just use WorldBuilder and in 2 seconds you get a map generated with easy layout of hexagon to compare with another set of settings. Compared 30 maps in 5 minutes.

2. Searched the forum (a lot) and found out from 'the' Civ V Map Designer himself, Sirian:

A technical reply:

World Age affects plot types: flat land, hills, mountains. Older world = flatter world.

Temperature affects terrain types: grass, plains, desert, tundra, snow. Hotter = more desert less tundra.

Rainfall affects feature types: forest, jungle, marsh, oasis, etc. More rain = more foliage.

Sea Level affects percentage of the world that is land vs sea. Higher sea levels = less dry land.

Resources affects resource quantity: for military resources, this affects the number of units per tile; for economic resources, this affects total number of resource tiles in play (and in some cases, at start locations).

- Sirian

The complete thread : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=382737

I hope it might help someone else too.

Also, I'm not finding this in the Steam workshop...

Top Bottom