Terrance Project Thread

Hey guys!

I just want to say I'm still working on the setting! I'm very excited about how things are going and discussing things with you in #neschat and on Discord-IOT. In fact, several of the things shared below I got the ideas from those very discussions! Your ideas are taken into account and can be added by me! Please, tell me about what excites you, what you want to see, what you don't want to see, and I'll try to make those things happen!

Secondly! If you want me to open up a region or an option, either to play or interact significantly with, please post your interest! I would open such regions if 3-4 people are interested, and at least 2 of them want to play in the region. Each region would require significant but worthwhile work to bring online, and I'll be very happy if more people get to join and enjoy!

Also! Don't feel that if someone is in a slot you can't express interest for said slot! This is the prethread, not a signup thread, not a starting thread. I strongly disbelieve in first come first serve and prefer applications and to discuss narrative intent. Working with each other to work out who gets what is something I approve of, so that people can get exactly what they want. I'll be happy too, to discuss people who want to join as something unique and not listed!

I would be interested into joining as a River King who wants to end the tribal system permanently and instead move onto a more centralised monarchy. Perhaps alter the currently existing religion to make his rule easier, as well.

Sounds good! I hope you get some good ideas after I release a bit more information, especially regarding the "faults" of the tribal system.

Hey. This seems interesting, epecially the tribal lands. I'm interested in something in Ancient Lands-if too crowded-maybe in the great grass desert all hail Crom

I would glad to have you in either region!

Vastya is One,Vastya is the Earth and the Sea and the Sun, Vastya is Heavenly, Vastya is Supreme.

Intriguing and I'm glad to see this!

Vastya is love, Vastya is life. :p

Terrance, what's the plan going forward? Are you going to start confirming people for spots, and then getting us to fill out a template? Or template first, confirmation later? Given that a lot more support has come on the tribal side, I'm going to officially throw my lot in with the Imperials, and apply to be a legion commander to keep things balanced. (KYDRONIANS, WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION? AHOO, AHOO, etc.)

I plan to put out a template after I finish the basic background descriptions. Until then, offering suggestions, expanding on intent and descriptive building of factions, and such would make me very very happy!

I can also confirm Terrance is working on a blown up version of the draft map.

It's going to be YUUUUUGE. Size won't be an issue, let me tell you that, believe me, believe me!

Updated List of Interested Players:

Tribal Interest:

---
Ancient Vale
ork - Ancient Vale religious movement
Iggy - Ancient Vale Druids
Defacto - Ancient Vale / Great Grass Desert
---
Amber Vale
thomas.berubeg - River/Lake King
Tolni - River King

Other
Omega - (Unknown tribal, I heard this from terrance)

Imperial Interest:

---
Civilians/City-States
Bombshoo - Mining Magistrate
Terrance's friend (?) - Agrarian Town(s)
---
Military
Thlayli - River Legion
Johanna - Legion
erez - Legion
Luckymoose - Mercenary Company

Other

flyingchicken - Cult leader (?)

Looking Good So Far!

Since we have more people interested in legions than we have legions to play, some options include opening up the plague-stricken capital legion for a player who doesn't mind being weaker, allowing some players to play lower-level characters within the same legion, or convincing one of the legionary applicants to play the military port instead.

I'd like to hear more of the player's intent on the legions, other than just warfare. The Legionary Warmachine can be formidable, but their teeth have a very defective tail, an issue that demands decisive action. That way, I can better offer alternatives [of which, these are certainly excellent!]

...And so we fell upon them at sunset
Very cool!

Coming up soon, I'll post some more in depth blurbs about Imperial and Tribal Cultures! Tomorrow I'll try to put something in about Urbanization, cultural implications, taxation and the Settlement mechanic.

Note: These aren’t set in stone yet, but are for your thoughts, to provoke discussion, as well as to help solidify submissions and ideas.

The Imperials

The Imperial culture overall is a mixture of Roman/Byzantine, and Chinese empires. Their language is based on Byzantine-Phoenician, a Mediterranean-Levant feel. Their lives are expected to be structured, with everyone knowing and doing their part, or working to achieve a position worthy of their abilities. Their empire is expected to be limitless, the world divided into “Currently Ours” and “Eventually Ours.” Their culture has significant divisions and sub-cultures consisting of nation after nation brought to heel. But centuries of military dominance and cultural assimilation had led all to see the world as a hierarchy, with the Emperor above all.

Some Highlights of Imperial Culture

Authority - Incredibly important in the Imperial world view. All are born into a system where some by right have authority over others. This system is partially hereditary and partially meritocratic. Many who once felt trapped in a dead end position now see an opportunity to raise themselves and their families to positions of high authority. In the game, Authority will be a leveraging mechanic for Imperial polities to attempt impose their authority over others, as well as inspire their citizens to trust in their leadership's authority in keeping them safe and secure.

Societal Structure - The Empire is a patriarchal society where one’s father’s deeds is almost important as one’s own. It is also a highly hierarchical society, with a rather sharp divide between yokels who attempt to “instinctively” know their status in the world based on second hand teachings, and educated classes who learn of themselves and their peers and their places in the world before they even meet. However, this is not quite a caste system: those that buck the system by working within it are respected or even revered for bringing their abilities to the level of their worth.

Power Structure - Although official the Empire has no hereditary positions, a mixture of patronage, experience, training, apathy and maybe a wee bit of wink wink nudge nudge has led to mid level positions of regional and local magistrastry becoming somewhat stratified. Still, these positions are officially filled with appointments informed by court recommendations, and are held for decade long terms, to be relieved of for death, incompetence, retirement, or promotion. All such positions of power are held with two advisors: one appointed by the one in power, and one chosen for the position by the position’s superior and who more than a little reports on said position for the superior. With the elimination of the colonial governor, his appointed heir and successor, and much of the bureaucracy of the colonial capital, the mid level magistrate, such as yourself, have quite an opportunity for advancement.

Military - As part of an ordered world view, the Imperials have a stark divide between the military and the civilian worlds. The military is centered around a devastating combination of heavy cavalry, heavy infantry, and skilled auxiliaries supplied by locals. It is sometimes said that a hundred cataphracts is worth a hundred thousand footmen. Additionally, they have an impressive command and control system, and a daunting logistical expertise. Although the cities and towns have militia and watchmen, they are more to keep the peace than to fight a war. In these uncertain lands and uncertain times, border guards are somewhat more experienced and trained, but still pale in the face of those who lived their entire life in the art of war.

A Word on Religion - The Celestial Bureaucracy and the Earthly Bureaucracy are closely entwined. Many political positions have religious significance, and vice versa. Sages and Soothsayers are the most common names for those who practice and study deeply the Imperial Cult, and Heaven’s plan for the future.

EDIT: I will introduce more specific things and ideas and structures for the Imperial Government and Worldly Bureaucracy in due time. Until then, feel free to suggest ideas!

Last edited:
The Tribals

The Tribal Peoples are inspired by many “uncivilized” peoples of the world: From the “classic” Celtic and Germanic peoples, to the Iroquois confederacy. Their language would be Celtic/Romano-Briton, with a hint of Nordic. They live lives of opportunism and individualism, seeking anyway to make a name for themselves, whether in service of another, or in pursuit of one’s own glory and prestige. Although they hold many traditions, they make and break traditions near constantly, with certain ones pertaining to oaths and honor holding their society together.

Highlights of Tribal Culture

Prestige - An individual’s achievements is the greatest measure of an individual’s worth. After all, in a culture built around oral tradition, having one’s name be repeated unto eternity is in itself a form of immortality. Those who achieve great things, survive turmoil, and accomplish ambitious goals can gain prestige. Those who have high prestige are able to attract a multitude of eager followers, inspire them to work harder for their cause, and induce them to great acts of heroism which will be repeated for generations to come.

An example list of Prestige Levels I might use in the game:

No Name;Whispers;Rumors;Hearsay;Stories;Ballads;Epics;Legends;Myths

Societal Structure - Although clans are held in various levels of importance, the smallest and largest organizational structure of significance is the Tribe, lead by a Chief, and centered around the Chief’s clan. A mixture of prestige, personal power and relationships, and oaths of loyalty attaches other clans and family units to form the Tribe and so forms it’s “Government”. Tribal “law”, if any can be said to exist, is dominated by the traditions of the dominant clan. In a valley with a single tribe and five to six clans, one can count a dozen tribes forming and dissipate in the same amount of years as one clan or another gets the upper hand and usurps the tribal leadership and imposes their own tribal traditions. Although many clans can trace their legacy back generations into the mists of time, few tribes could speak the same. Almost all clans have their own way of passing down leadership.

Matriarchies - Unlike the Imperials, the tribal peoples are not patriarchal, or at least, uniformly patriarchal in the same way. Matriarchal structures exist in many guises, from the women ruling the tribe outright, to controlling spiritual matters, to other permutations. Each tribe has their own traditions inspired/imposed by their ruling clan.

Oaths, Loyalty, Honor - Some of the few universals amongst the Tribal cultures of Sythram is their strong commitment to maintaining Oaths, bonds of Loyalty, and the ideals of Honor. Although Tribal Honor may seem odd and strange to “Imperial Honor”, it is at its heart all about respect for both each other and for oneselves. They may not shy away from assaulting an enemy camp whose sentry has fallen asleep (their own fault!), but they would balk at the idea of betrayal during peace talks beneath a Yew tree. Oaths are never to be spoken lightly, given power by those who witnessed it and being reiterated for generations to come once spoken. One cannot expect to give or receive many Oaths in one’s life, for the powers over fate they grant mere words.

On War - War is the way of life for all Tribal peoples. Even the most secure know that any time, those who are willing to offer their life for immortality may come storming through their village seeking glory and prestige. War is the purest expression of struggle, of risking one’s life, of proving one’s abilities. War is wild, war is ordered, war is swift, war is slow. Tribal warfare ranges greatly depending on a multitude of situations, from internecine raiding, to seige warfare, or even open field pitch battles. [Note: The Tribal peoples do not have a mounted warfare tradition. Their few warhorses are often gifts or tributes from Imperial merchants or diplomats).

Tribute - A common tradition, especially those with contact with the Imperials (and somewhat inspired, perhaps, by systems of taxation) is that of Tribute. A tribute is always offered from the lesser to glorify the superior - and in some cases, the superior returns a gift to honor the lesser. This is most common almost a tax on merchants, who are expected to shower gifts on local chiefs in exchange for access to their markets and a safe night’s sleep in the chief’s own home. However, Tribute is also offered as part of Oaths of Loyalty by those from far away, seeking to establish relations and make up for centuries of lost time and history.

Bonus: Notes on the River Kings - The River Kings are partially imperialized, and to different degrees. The word “King” itself is an imperial import, or a tribalization of an Imperial word for a client ruler. The title of the “High King of the Amber Vale” is a poisoned apple offered by Imperial diplomats. Owner of this title is the foremost authority in the Vale, able to amass large treasuries of tribute and potentially lead large armies to further their own tribe as well. Unfortunately, their subject Kings are constantly scheming against the HIgh King, egged on by the very Imperials which installed the High King in the first place.

At the start of the game, the current High King has just lost his sons and heirs to the plague and sits, despondent, in his rotting keep. His subject kings smell blood, but at least at the start the High King starts relatively wealthy, holding both their original Tribal land, as well as the choicest bits in the center of the vale. Additionally, the High King has good advisors who would attempt to administer in his stead. But good advisors does not always imply loyal...

OOC: Please comment and offer your thoughts and suggestions! These are not set in stone and I'd love to hear your thoughts and take them into account!

Application for Tribal Society: Polytheistic Soceity
These are our lands, fore ever and afterwards these will be our lands. Over the years pests have crawled in from unknown lands, destroyed our crops and homes, killed our prophets and our men, women and children with the brutality of Kwadesh (god of death, known to punish the wrong doers and un-beleivers in brutal ways) ; We have endured them. They have burnt our homes, driven us away from our lands, and now we are blessed to dwell in the arms of mother nature, where she has blessed us the bounties of the land. We have gone back to the old ways, cutting away the cursed ways that the fallen ones have adapted, and we wait; We wait for the Great Culling when the Xijun,(the great crow; Xijun's pet, often portrayed as Kwadesh riding the crow, as she comes to claim the souls of the ones about to pass away) cleanses the lands of these disgusting locusts; Our druids have known it all along, for it was foretold.

For years together, these xenomorphs have come to disturb the peace of our groves, even though we had retreated deep into the forests. They have come and died by the droves. While their numbers dwindle, we have only become stronger. Using the mystic secrets of the forests these people had no clue about, they have died, as our warriors waiting for ambushes on top of trees or the caves and precipices , have given their final call to martyrdom and died with smiles in their faces, and blood in their claws.

The time is here, Xijun strikes. The pests and the heretics will be wiped out. And now we can finally cleanse the land of all the vile things that have defiled these lands for decades together.

Legio XXII "The Golden Asps"
Commander: Kadras Talis Serapin
Current Assignment: Northern Kydron
Duration of Assignment to Kydron: 36 years

The story of Kadras Talis Serapin is deeply woven into the legion in which he was born and raised.

The twenty second legion, while far from the most prestigious force in the Empire, has had a reasonably storied past and served with enough distinction to have once been distinguished with the rare honor of a unique symbol from the Emperor, the golden asp native to the desert land where the legion's greatest and most glorious sacrifice was made.

The legion was first recruited from the Imperial heartland during the height of a particularly tumultuous series of civil wars a little over a century ago, accepting the banner of the 22nd from a previous legion that had supported one of the rebel Emperors (and been annihilated for their lack of sagacity, ending a long history of their own). It served in a peripheral role during the waning days of the civil war, with imperial administrators assigning it mostly easy fights and mop-up operations due to the new 22nd's lack of veterans.

A few years after the obviously correct Emperor's victory, the long-planned conquest of distant, desolate Kydron was launched, partially as an effort to obscure the increasing cracks in the Imperial economy, partially to satisfy the demands of the legions, and partially for the aging Emperor to conquer the mythical Lost Isle as the Cult of Heaven had prophesied, as well as all the other reasons historians traditionally write of. The invasion of Kydron, the Empire's last major expansion, pulled in veteran legions from all across the known world.

Consequently, the 22nd was deployed, not to the invasion of Kydron, but to cover the openings on the Imperial frontier left from the departure of seasoned legions from other places. They would never see the heartland of the Empire again. In the first year after arriving on one of the Empire's desert frontiers, they faced a massive uprising of native peoples seeking to take advantage of the invasion of Kydron to throw off Imperial domination in their own distant land. For two years, elements of the 22nd were penned up in the ancient, rock-cut valley cities, desperately fending off endless raids from the native light cavalry. They held on long enough through a combination of forging unlikely alliances with urban minorities (including the previously-persecuted community of Ascensionists) and a few decisive sallies to keep supply lines open to the coast.

After the first invasion of Kydron was complete, reinforcements flowed back from the Lost Isle, and the rebellion was decisively crushed. But the bulk of the rebel leaders fled into the rugged, uncharted desert mountains beyond the imperial frontier. The 22nd and other legions spent the next several decades chasing down and crushing these various rebel leaders in a series of punitive raids, who often eluded their grasp. Finally, the last surviving leader, the young son of the original rebel king, fled to a neighboring empire.

The foreign empire refused Imperial envoys' requests to turn over the last rebel to face justice. This followed along with a general cooling in relations between the empires for other reasons, but war did not immediately follow. For two decades, the 22nd enjoyed the general fruits of their victory, focusing on improving infrastructure, building forts, guarding trade routes, and replacing their casualties from the rebellion with local recruits, both from natives and various populations of Imperial colonists, lending the legion the ethnically diverse appearance that characterized many of the Empire's outlying forces. (It was during this period of peace when Kadras Talis Serapin was born, to a legionary father and a native mother.)

This period of peace abruptly exploded into the crisis that would earn the legion their coveted distinction. The foreign empire had patiently built up its forces to attack the Empire for decades, simultaneously using their control of the exiled rebel leader to nurture a network of local spies that prepared the people of the region for a second, greater rebellion. Multiple foreign armies invaded the desert frontier of the empire, with the ostensible goal of securing an independent kingdom for their rebel client, and were aided by a huge local rebellion in his favor.

While the empire at large was taken by surprise by this, the 22nd and several of the other legions and local administrators were not, having infiltrated the rebel networks thanks to their own native ties. (It is unclear if their warnings ever reached the Emperor before the war.) Albeit outnumbered and overwhelmed, the legions efficiently fell back on their pre-determined plan, retreating towards the coast. However, the encirclement and defeat in detail of two frontier legions early in the war made the empire's prospects look grim.

It was then that the 22nd gained their famous name. When the other armies were falling back, the 22nd moved forward, invading the territory of the foreign empire in a surprise - and almost certainly doomed - attack. They seized an immensely strategic enemy border fortress from its surprised and undermanned garrison, and then separated out their native auxiliaries and light cavalry into a flying column that raided deep into the foreign empire, harassing their supply lines using the same tactics once used against them during the first rebellion when they had just arrived. (It was their enemies that began to call them asps, both for their treacherous tactics and tendency to strike and withdraw like the snakes of the desert.) For their part, the 22nd embraced the moniker.

The 22nd held the fortress for three years, long after all contact with other imperial forces was cut, sustaining themselves off of raided supplies, their virtually-impregnable citadel acting as a huge thorn in the side of the foreign empire, slowing their advance and drawing off forces meant for conquering the imperial territory (and neighboring lands). Finally, the foreign empire dedicated the massive amount of resources necessary to crush the fortress, and the citadel fell - although not before the 22nd dropped golden asps on the enemy storming the gates in mocking affirmation of their title. For every dead imperial, three or four enemies perished in the assault, and the core leadership (along with the young Kadras) managed to escape into the desert with the light cavalry auxiliary.

Not long after this battle, a mostly status quo peace with some indemnity paid by the foreign empire was signed as events started to turn against them on several other fronts. Although most of the glory and accolades went to other legions responsible for decisively defeating the main foreign armies and for capturing (and burning alive, after extensive torture) the rebel king, all reports mentioned the critical contribution of the 22nd.

As such, they were not disbanded and the survivors dispersed, despite suffering a staggering 70% casualty rate, that being the traditional policy for non-legendary legions who suffered casualties over 50%. Instead, an imperial messenger confirmed their "legendary" status and designated them for restoration. Due to the ongoing disruptions (see: massacres) in the native population and general war devastation, the 22nd was sent to the peaceful backwater of Kydron, the Lost Isle, called Sythram by the local savages. It was understood that they would rest, restore their manpower from the burgeoning population of colonists or assimilated natives, and prepare to return to the desert.

Then passed thirty six years.

Last edited:
Update on happenings guys.
I had a really bad weekend.
Completely my fault.
Will still try to put out content regularly.
If nothing else, I WILL update you guys on content every weekend! Something like this.

So, some light discussion/thoughts before I really get back in the grove tuesday or wednesday night. Feel free to discuss as well!

1) Thlayli brought up a good point about the cessation of trade. My thoughts on the matter is that sea-faring ships are very expensive to build and maintain, and the trip is too risky for the potential benefits. Another thing I can do is that unofficial merchants land every once in a while with conflicting reports, bringing in gold for the imperial economy and allow an export sink. Thoughts? Preferences?

2) Plan to make rather short, bulletin updates and stat changes the mainstay of official updates. Will contribute with side stories and update spotlights and the like. Desire to keep game moving/flowing regularly. Is such an update format desireable? Players would be allowed to elaborate on battles as they wish.

3) Plan to make both an IC and an OOC thread. IC thread for official diplomacy, stories, updates and the like. OOC thread for discussions on rules, events, and IC jibbing that was part of TerraNES' atmosphere.

4) Wiki? yes? no? propertime to implement?

5) Any other interest in the expansion regions? Currently there are 4.
a) Broken Lands- Pirates, Imperial Light-house Forts, Local Pearl Diving Tribes, The Like
b) Great Grass Desert - Nomadic tribes adopting horses, maybe pre-nomadic agricultural tribes trying to survive
c) Affiliated Tribes - Tribes which are even more imperialized than the River Kings, they have officialy submitted to the authority of the Emperor and live within the Colonia. They are semi-urbanized with actual capitals and serve as auxillaries to the Legions.
d) Long Valley Tribes - Smaller and less influential tribes in the valley between the Ancient Vale and the Amber Vale. Can still be Druidic playstyle and are bit closer to the rest of the action.

Also, I am definitely ok with making allowances for non-state actors! Cult leaders, merchant power brokers, guild leaders, argrarian common wealths (slave revolts) and the like are all allowed!

Current stuffs I'm working on

Urbanization and cultural aspects whereof
Template for "Official" Submissions
Yuuuuuge map. Planning to detail to like, 100m by 100m per pixel detail. Also considering ditching pixels entirely and go Vectorized, with Icons
General Introduction to Economy
In depth introduction to Economy [Imperial vs Tribal, Taxes in Gold vs In Kind vs Tribute, Resources, Trade Routes, Merchants]
Discussion of Military Mechanics

So, some light discussion/thoughts before I really get back in the grove tuesday or wednesday night.

Back in the grove?! Druid bias detected. Whole system's rigged, folks.

Template would be good though. Oh, one thing that would be helpful to me would be names for: The Empire, various ethnic groups within it, the local capitol and the smaller cities. Happy to help if necessary. I'd be happy to name the foreign empire from my backstory and some other stuff, just didn't want to be presumptuous.

Last edited:
Confirming my interesting as the Magistrate of the mining town.

Hey guys!

Sorry for being quiet for the past couple of weeks. Had a rough week of projects and exams.

I’m going to provide a bit more information about what you can expect when you join below. This is more to show interest and discuss intent rather than a full sign up!

Role

Plans

Wishlist

Role: What roles are you interested in? Please put in order if you have multiple.

Plan: What are you basic plans for each role?

Wishlist: What would you like to see in the game or for your start? Would you like access to specific resources or information? What kind of geography do you want to see? Neighbors?

Tribals can expect to muster tribal warriors worth twice their manpower. Imperials can expect to raise a citizen’s militia or a levy worth their manpower.

Ancient Vale Tribals

[2-3 Players]
-Approximately 2000 Manpower (20,000 population)
-Starts with contact with various Druid factions/secret societies/cults
-Below average agricultural resources, above average mineral resources

River Kingdom Tribals
[2-4 Players]
-Approximately 3000 Manpower (30,000 population)
-Average agricultural resources, below average mineral resources

Legion Imperials
[2 Players]
-Starts with 5000 Troops of various kinds
-Notably, starts with heavy cavalry/cataphracts, and seige weapons
-Starts with granary and treasury for one year of operation, and a occupation/patrol zone
-Approximately 1000 Manpower in region of influence (10,000 population)

Urban Imperials
[3 Players]
-Approximately 1000 Manpower Urban Population (10,000 urban population)
-This start population can be concentrated in starting town, or distributed amongst several major settlements
-They also have influence over agricultural or resource collection depending on start
-May start with a contact with a small mercenary band in exchange for much reduced starting treasury

Additionally, there are several other regions which I may open if people show enough interest to interact with or join as

Forlorn Valley Tribals
Living in the Forlorn Valley has it’s benefits. For one, everyone needs to get through you to get to somewhere else… That. That might not be a benefit.
-Approximately 1500 Manpower (15,000 Population)
-Decreased starting prestige
-Larger stored treasury and granary

Broken Lands
These raggedly islands and hidden coves are the ideal spots for pearl divers… and pirates. The Empire has established a few light house-forts here before, but they have long abandoned official attempts to pacify the treacherous shores until the mercantile value of Kydronic trade increases.
-Approximately 1000 Manpower (10,000 Population)
-Can join as seaside Tribes, Imperial Outposts, or even Pirates
-Pearl diving is a major resources

Great Grass Desert
Once thought to be perfect as for a province-sized horse breeding expanse, the complete disappearance of two Legions in the wastes forced the Empire to styme their ambitions at the riverbank. Wild horses and wild men combine to form ever more dangerous wilderness.
-? Manpower?
-High horse breeding potential

The Affiliated Tribes
They have bent the knee to the Empire long ago, and live within the Colonia. But their spirits are still wild, as much as they pretend to be civilized
-2500 Manpower (25,000 Population)
-Higher population start, but various advantages and disadvantages due to being in the Imperial system
-Decreased treasury/granary

Dornsalfis Vineyard
[For 1 Player]
-The worst vineyard in all the empire, but the best on Kydron… at least, that’s what they say. The southern facing island allows them to, if barely, breed the wine grapes of the empire. Their wine is said alternatively to be more vinegar than wine, or watered down imports. At the very least, drunkards across the colonia are thankful they are still putting something.

The Capital Legion
[For 1 Player]
-The plague has devastated the capital of the Colony, and your force is the only thing that is, barely, holding the lives of the surviving citizens together. The surrounding Villas refuse to send food for fear of plague. Even in the city itself, gangs have taken over several granaries and treasuries. You and your remaining loyal cohorts have been pushed back to one final quarter. Can you reclaim the city for the Empire, or is it even worth it to try? Or perhaps, will you acclaim yourself Governor?

ALSO!

Feel free to ask about specific things you can try to be! You can try to be a cult leader, a chroniclist, a merchant, or almost anything you can think up. You can also just write within the setting if you want.

Role: River Legion (Secondary: Military Port, Tertiary: Capital Legion)
Plans: Hold everything together in the face of everything coming apart. Try and rebuild a coalition to restore the local economy. Long term: Try to get a new governor propped up, or maybe even a new Emperor. Maybe even a punitive expedition into tribal lands. If we fail, secure as glorious a death as possible.
Wishlist: Established contacts/alliances with some Affiliated Tribes and lesser imperial factions in the region. A really impressive fortress with enough supplies to withstand a major siege. A somewhat fearsome reputation for the legion born out of decades of victory that cows lesser NPCs. Better than average cavalry (especially light cavalry) for a legion.

Last edited:
ROLE: River King
Plans: Become a mercantile power controlling flow of traffic up the river, and through the Great Lake. Exert influence and control along these areas.
Wishlist: A city on stilts, built around an old imperial fort. Think Lake Town in the Hobbit. STRONG stone walls, mounted seige engines to control the waters, and a sprawling town that gets in the way of using that. Probably a mile long bridge of IMPERIAL architecture to connect to the shores. ALSO probably drawbridges? many of them?

Last edited:
ROLE: Great Grass Desert tribe
PLANS: Bring stability and unity to the great grass desert, instead of endless strife
WISHLIST:
public: Not sure how battles are handled, but include a system of raiding. Not just for the nomadic tribes, but for all involved. Raids were the primary form of conflict between tribal lands, outright invasions were rarer.
personal: Starting reputation as a warrior and unifier, including starting alliances/friendships (extensive background story pending)

If the grass desert will not be unlocked: expressing an interest in river kingdom or affiliated tribe

*tips his imaginary hat* Its been a while... Need to flex my writing muscles again

Role: Ancient Valley Tribal

Plan: I wish to be a presence at the outer edges of the outer edges, in the lands that are the most untouched by the Imperial presence.

Wishlist: I wish to see cool geography, and to have access to herds of tamed forest ungulates. Deep forests, scattered lakes, mountains and valleys would be great.

Hey guys! Been working pretty hard on behind the scenes stuff but I hope I can show you guys something looking almost finished soon! Thanks for the interest, they really help me flesh out on what to build and focus on.

Role: River Legion (Secondary: Military Port, Tertiary: Capital Legion)
Plans: Hold everything together in the face of everything coming apart. Try and rebuild a coalition to restore the local economy. Long term: Try to get a new governor propped up, or maybe even a new Emperor. Maybe even a punitive expedition into tribal lands. If we fail, secure as glorious a death as possible.
Wishlist: Established contacts/alliances with some Affiliated Tribes and lesser imperial factions in the region. A really impressive fortress with enough supplies to withstand a major siege. A somewhat fearsome reputation for the legion born out of decades of victory that cows lesser NPCs. Better than average cavalry (especially light cavalry) for a legion.

Sounds good. I need to consider the fortress aspect a bit, at least in the sense of size/scale/supplies/history. However, at the "very least" you have a permanent, fortified legionary camp/castra and granaries. Also, I'm considering overlapping some mechanics at the border region. For example, Legions would get Prestige, and affiliated Tribals (as well as River Kings) get access to somewhat more advanced economics that the Imperials do. A taste.

ROLE: River King
Plans: Become a mercantile power controlling flow of traffic up the river, and through the Great Lake. Exert influence and control along these areas.
Wishlist: A city on stilts, built around an old imperial fort. Think Lake Town in the Hobbit. STRONG stone walls, mounted seige engines to control the waters, and a sprawling town that gets in the way of using that. Probably a mile long bridge of IMPERIAL architecture to connect to the shores. ALSO probably drawbridges? many of them?

All the drawbridges mwahahahaha! But on the serious note, this is one major reason why I'm considering how to make the mechanics so they can be mixed coherently. And that's a good thing! You'll probably start with fewer directly accessible resources, and rely more skimming off trade flowing through your city. Also, what do you think about urban factions?

As something to get interested about, I'm modeling the effects on trade routes caused by the quarantine of the Capital. Some are cut, some are diverted, and some massively disrupted by dumping of goods on saturated markets. Would be an interesting issue to deal with.

ROLE: Great Grass Desert tribe
PLANS: Bring stability and unity to the great grass desert, instead of endless strife
WISHLIST:
public: Not sure how battles are handled, but include a system of raiding. Not just for the nomadic tribes, but for all involved. Raids were the primary form of conflict between tribal lands, outright invasions were rarer.
personal: Starting reputation as a warrior and unifier, including starting alliances/friendships (extensive background story pending)

If the grass desert will not be unlocked: expressing an interest in river kingdom or affiliated tribe

It looks like the Great Grass Desert will be open! Generally, battles will occur "off screen", with only the most notable conflicts appearing on the radar of the rumor mill. I'll talk more about the bulletin updates I'm planning to do later, but I'm hoping this would give more room for players to interpret "what actually happened". Anyway, Raids are definitely important and encouraged! Getting the upper hand on a series of raids might even convince the victim to join you and give you tribute (instead of you preemtively "accepting tribute" they would probably forget to send without your reminder, hah!)

Now, I'm not giving anyone more Prestige/Authority than around "Medium." The last decade or so was not quite the a time for heroics and great works, and few really stand heads and shoulders above the crowd. Of course, with the disruption to the status quo this would soon change after the start of the game.

I'm definitely going to work on alliance/tributary mechanics for NPCs so that players can properly oversee and manage them without them being too absorbed into the player's empire, but also without them being too clunky to manage. (Not every NPC would require strenuous negotiations to get basic things done, hopefully.)

Role: Ancient Valley Tribal

Plan: I wish to be a presence at the outer edges of the outer edges, in the lands that are the most untouched by the Imperial presence.

Wishlist: I wish to see cool geography, and to have access to herds of tamed forest ungulates. Deep forests, scattered lakes, mountains and valleys would be great.

Sounds good! You might get access to some Druidic plans and some "Off Map" knowledge. Of course, even the most distant tribe has heard of the Imperials, at least in terms of their war against the Druids, and has touched Imperial gold that has trickled through the raid/gift/tribute "economy".

As for the geography, that broadly describes the upper valleys the Tribals dwell in. More specifically though, it reminds me of the description for the Grand Tetons. Is that appropriate approximation?

Can I be a trading Nomad tribe ?

Assuming Great Grass Sea?

In what manner? Like a glorified or grand caravan? Or associated but spread out tribes that trade? Trading exists, but requires strength and reputation and respect to ensure equitable exchange. The introduction of horses (or at least stronger breeds of warhorses) proves to be both highly lucrative and highly disruptive to the Great Grass Sea economy. If you do join as such tribe I would start you off with workable trading relations with most of your neighbors, as well as control over at least one route (which you can help me select/define).

A trade-focused tribal is definitely possible. Trade is more managed by various guilds/caravans, but if you are in a strategic position (like thomas.berubeg's "Edge") you can definitely draw and manage the pulse of trade.

If you want to join more as a Tribal Caravan that'll be a separate but definitely possible thing!

Generally, a full Tribe is large enough that moving around into other tribal land is a significant migration event, driving forth unmobilized tribes before it and eating and pillaging everything in it's way until it finds some suitable ground to dig new routes.

Top Bottom