TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

u butthurt Gem_Hound?//1

From Tarase
I will draw up a map presently, but the jist is that you shall take the land southward to the other slopes of the Apennines and fill out your northern borders a bit. I shall expand to your borders, with Mediolaun favored between them and I. They have already agreed to our proposal.
This sounds perfectly fine to me.

Apologies, but we do not feel comfortable with such an act, even if you feel it is necessary and proper. However, if your support is complete and total, we would be willing to support all your future military endeavors (Military vassalage; not economic or domestic-see vasalage rules which I will soon add: future vassalage would need to be specified).
This sounds fair to us. At this time I am busy dealing with the isle of Sardinia, but once that problem is solved, expect my full assistance.

Ildaris Grows Civilized
A Detailed Look at the Development of Paradise

Though Ildaris is officially a Kingdom, it is not the direct rule by a single monarch that is commonly associated with such a title. Instead, each community or village is independently its own tribe or clan, ruled by a local chief. However, in the end, the chief answers to the High King, who is at all times a descendant of the Draka Clan, who had first led the people to Paradise. This means that each tribe has its own semi-autonomy, though they will always accept the requests of a high king.

There are two duns currently located in Ildarian lands, each with its own ruler. A dun is a Keltic fortress, built upon a hill with carefully formed walls of dirt, and having a grand longhouse at the top. They are usually surrounded by large amounts of population. The first dun is located at Wesreth, and is the residency of the High King. The second dun is located further down the river, near Oledo lands, at the town of Ulfirsa. The dun at Ulfirsa is currently home to Chief Tarell, of the Gesrin clan, very proud of his Leonese heritage.

Nanbu Shanqu

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

As the horde, flanked by the regiments and guarded at the front and back by the young Yi men, began their journey through the territory of the Arbat - the name Shuru gave the tribes - Xin and Qian bombarded their guide with questions about the tribes, their culture, leaders and social tructure. Not idly, however: the pair knew that with the tribes in their vicinity, they would need every bit of information they could find.

"Shuru," Xin ventured eventually, "Why are you so particularly concerned about the Arbat? There are other tribes in these mountains, your people, the Uygars, the Nanbu, yet you have no concerns of them attacking us."
"A wise question, Xin. For one: you were lucky to find us Dawar first. The Uygars, whose lands you passed south of further downriver, are numerous, and likely one of the Uygar tribes, having seen you, would send their best men out, kill a hundred and melt away before your army could react. They number almost sixty thousand. Fortunately for you, they are a group ofdisunited, squabbling tribes, or your days would be numbered and so would ours.

Secondly, most Dawar are simple herders, and although the Nanbu are more capable warriors, both we and they share a faith, similar in philosophy to your Confucianism, but closer to the ancient tribal religions of the region. We believe in the sanctity of the guest and the importance of being hospitable. If you don't find people like that and you're lost in the mountains, you die. Aynar commands nothing of our lives, only that we offer our assistance, food and a bed to strangers. We only fight our enemies, Xin.

The Arbat are our enemies. They won't *fight* anybody. They have no honour, noble visitors: the Arbat strike the vulnerable, and only attack armed men with numbers on their side. They won't risk attacking this group, they don't have the numbers in the area - certainly not in the formation you put your followers in. That's why I told you to do that, or the Arbat would attack like lightning strikes a tree. They are despicable, dishonourable cravens... but they are dangerous.

It's a mercy the only reason they and the Uygar only ever unite to fight each other, or we and the Nanbu wouldn't survive."

Suitably chastened, both boys fell silent.
That was when the scout ran in, panic visible on his dusty face.

"The Arbat! Hundreds of them!"
thunk
The scout fell to the ground, dead, an arrow embedded in his skull.

---

The Arbat raiding party charged around the corner, yelling. It seemed to take a while for the tribesmen to register that their own scouts had misinformed them - or at least that their information was out of date. The Arbat stopped, each one at his own individual pace. After a few half-hearted shots, they turned around, and gradually, melted into the mountains once again. Xin turned to their Dawar guide and snorted.

"Rabble."
Shuru looked troubled. After a short while, he nodded at the figure on Xin's other side. Xin turned, painfully slowly.
On Xin's left, Qian had fallen silent. He'd begun to sway, and as Xin watched in horror, his twin fell off of his chariot, unconscious, an arrow in his side.

---

Shuru rushed to his young charge's side, pale with worry. After a while, he turned and called for General Fang. The battle-scarred veteran moved almost in a trance to the herder's side.

"Your professional opinion, General?"
"Not serious, herder. He appears to have fainted with the shock. Tends to happen to people when they get shot the first time."
"As I thought." Though he tried to hide it, the relief was visible on Shuru's face. He'd grown to have some affection for his two charges, and to see harm come to someone as physically and mentally strong as Qian had come as quite a shock.

Nonetheless, he eventually straightened up and resumed talking to Fang and Xin. "Get him on a stretcher, you two. We need to keep moving. We can make it to Ulyan by sunset, and we'll need to. There's a storm on its way, and in the mountains, those can often get quite violent."

I meant your comments about the Frenks. Never mind, though.

OOC: After reading through all those wars, I realized what this world truely needs: Chess! (modified to fit its different birthplace)

The Nile War had many aftereffects, one of which was inspiring several crafty Axumite merchants to make a game based on it. The apperance of "Nile" can be dated to 50 years after the war itsself, as Axum began picking up the peices of its economy and forming a newer, more efficient government. Instability early on had subsided as the Monarchy took control and established a stable dynasty.

The rules of "Nile" are simple, but offer numerous complex variations. The game is played on a 9 by 8 board, with wooden peices. The bellow image depicts an ornate and expensive version of the game board, though the vast majority were much simpler.
The spearmen move 1 tile forward and capture diagonally, but on their first move only, they can advance 2 tiles. The Bedouin move move, two squares horizontally and one square vertically, or two squares vertically and one square horizontally. They can also jump over other peices (OOC: knights). The Curraghs move any number of tiles in a streight line. The monoremes (For Egypt) or War Elephants (For Axum) move any number of squares diagonally. The mercenaries (For Axum) or chariots (For Egypt) can move 2 squares in a streight line in any direction. The king peices (Merchant for Axum, Royal War Chariot for Egypt) move one square in any direction. Once a spearmen reaches the final rank, it can be promoted to any other peice. Egyptian peices move first.

The game found popularity amongst merchants and elite in Axum, but spread more into Egypt (where it was more popular due to their victory in the war which inspired it). From Egypt and through Axumite trade it reached Mesopotamia and India, where the game spread mostly amongst those who could afford fancy sets. This perticular set was made in Axum, as Egyptian sets would usually paint the rows on which the Monoreme and War Elephant stand blue (putting the Monoreme onto the water, but also "sinking" the elephant) and was likely owned by a rich mercantial family. Sets made elswhere would often use the peace set of whichever nation introduced it there as the set for both colors, meaning that India would have Green and Yellow Axumite peices, while the Medeterranian world would have Green and Yellow Egyptian peices. As the game spread further abroad, the color scheme would often change. For example, Keltia would make Red and Green peaces, refering to local conflicts. White and black sets could also be found. The board of Nile is notable in that it is colored in collumns. Many foreign remakes would replace the colored collums with black and white ones. A checkerboard would only be assigned to the game much later.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 74
OOC: After reading through all those wars, I realized what this world truely needs: Chess! (modified to fit its different birthplace)
Chess seems too simple for the war in Keltia. We would need a game, where all three sides sat grumbling at eachother, and where one would gather their forces in larger numbers than the other players. Then, it would need to break into sudden violence as the players began wiping eachothers pieces off of the board. Then, the third player could sneak in and destroy them both. There would be three players. One for the Druids, one for the Faith, and one for the Buggerites.

OOC: The more complex game of Faithhammer, based on the Keltic wars, would only come about almost three and a half thousand years later.

Quick Edit: I realised earlier that I got my dates for update 16 wrong, we should actually be up to 1200 BC.

OOC: The more complex game of Faithhammer, based on the Keltic wars, would only come about almost three and a half thousand years later.

Quick Edit: I realised earlier that I got my dates for update 16 wrong, we should actually be up to 1200 BC.
:p I'm talking an equilateral triangular field, where each group gets a set number of moves per turn. They can use these moves to buy another piece, or to move their pieces. Each player would start in a corner, with very little pieces on the field.

That sounds complicated :twitch:

Thoughts of a soldier

Chul-Moo looked from his vantage point at the passing warriors. Not long ago 1000 barbarians had come from the north into Seoul territory, looking for plunder. They had crossed the border near the encampment of Chul-Moo’s regiment. When Chul-Moo had heard about the raid he immidiatly set out on an interception course. Now it was time to strike.
‘Advance’ he ordered, 400 archers moved out of the forest into the clearing. From the barbarion lines warning sounds were heard. ‘Knock your arrows! Loose!’ Chul-Moo called out and the first volley was on its way towards the invaders, still in turmoil. ‘Knock your arrows! Loose!’ Chul-Moo ordered again and the second volley was fired. While the archers where preparing their second volley, the warrios, overcome of the initial surprise, had started advancing on the archers. The second volley hit and cut down scores of barbarians, enraging the survivors who increased their speed. ‘Knock your arrows! Loose!’ and a third volley started its trajectory towards its target. ‘Fire at will, boys!’ was Chul-Moo’s final order seeing that the warriors where to close for a fourth volley. The archers moved away from each other, seeking a clear shot. One after another the barbarians went down. The few warriors that managed to reach the archers where quickly overwhelmed by the, now, more numerous archers. But this advantage couldn’t prevent that the warriors took 50 archers, only armed with knifes, with them.
While the archers had started to move across the battlefield, stripping the warriors of anything of value, Chul-Moo looked thoughtfully. ‘The victory is ours sir, why so gloomy?’ one of his lieutanents asked. ‘One of these days, we will face a enemy that will manage to reach our lines with enough men to force us to fight a true melee battle. Our men will be cut down like flies when that day comes’ Chul-Moo replied ‘What our army need is soldiers trained in hand-to-hand combat.’

EDIT: 750 archers changed to 400, 30 casualties changed to 50

Minigame 5: Terrestrial Merchants

---Minigame 5: Terrestrial Merchants
---M5: Brennin in Veneta-by Gem Hound of Armorica
---M5: Swift Dear in Takete-by Tambien of Nenekatae
---M5: Trade will Prevail-by Spaceman of Axum

Yep, only 3 contestants. I guess people just forgot about it. I also happened to pick the worst possible mix of things to judge them by; but I’ll do what I have to. :/

2-Most Crazy
“senseless; impractical; totally unsound
Simply the most insane and out of this world. To win this criteria, the submission must show the sheer illogical points of view the culture has on the subject; bonus if the submission also proves how said culture justifies it.

Um…
I think I specified land-based trade… so… Gem_hound is crazy to think his boating antics would work? Yeah, yeah.

3-Most Strange
“unusual, extraordinary, or curious; odd; queer:”
Rather hard to differentiate from Unique and Crazy, but the central criteria is not simply illogical or unmatched, but simply very very different. A submission must show how their culture is truly different from ours, while also showing some connections to our world. Technically, it is the least weird of the bunch.

Erm…
Spaceman’s Axum is really really commercialized? During a war? In which his trade withered away? Um… that is strange, I guess?

10-Best Stretch
This criteria is looking at how well the submission stretches a current culture to new frontiers and ideas.

This is something I can work with!
Tambien’s story did the best job of adding new ideas to his basis, with soldiers in BARS listening to policemen, gigantic pleasure houses, and rentable communal motels.

I guess you all win, then, since only 3 of you posted anything at all. I can’t really give y’all +1 trade for being awesome, but I can say that your trading prospects are better for the next couple of updates.

Top Bottom