territory score formula

Originally posted by SirPleb
I just went back to check my GOTM#5, to see how close I was to the Domination threshold.

The results are not exact but are strongly consistent with the 2/3 of (land+coastal) theory.

Before stopping my expansion I decided to do some counting. I intended to count all sea+ocean tiles on the map, to determine its land+coastal. I didn't finish the count :) My eyes got too blurry and I hated the task. But I counted about 20% and felt it was enough to make a very good guess - distribution on this map is uniform enough to treat a part of it as representative.

Cool stuff. But I think you're counting too much. I think the easiest way to count land is to use Gramphos' C3MultiTool. Taking your save game & exporting to a .bic, you can use his .bic editor to give you the land vs. water stat for your map (I'd love to know how that works & if we can get a tile type counter!). I used the Civ3SavEdit (under the TGC editor thread) tool to switch civs & get their land area count too.

We know ocean doesn't count for anything. All you gotta do is count the sea everyone owns & subtract that from everyone's Land Area totals to get their Land+Coasts. Then you just have to get a count of the free land & free coast to make a total (or count the total coast sqaures, if you want). I think this method would usually be shorter and much more accurate.

The end of the counting would be a tile type counter & could solve the mystery of the domination calc.

I haven't done any investigation myself for a while. Been playing the GOTM#5, not counting it - but it doesn't look like a domination victory is coming or I have a ton of work to do...

I was reading through the some of the other threads about the domination equation. I was quite intrigued by the problem and tried my own experiments. I know no-one has posted on this thread in a while but, I couldn't see that anyone came to a definitive answer.

I set up an area the size of a 100+ culture city of coastal with 8 tiles of land. And 5 tiles away a 1 tile island surrounded by 11 tiles of coastal.

While playing this game, after my 100+ cultural expansion i controlled 37 of the 49 non ocean tiles on the map. Which is close to 75% without triggering domination until i got to 132 cultural points and bingo DOMINATION but without any change in landownership.

I've attached a copy of the autosave about 5 turns before the domination, I've saved it as a multi save only because i didn't have ships at the time so i couldn't see the other civs borders. So the multi cheat had nothing to do with it.

My goal of the setup was to decide if sea squares inside a city 21 tile radius are counted in the calculation, if they are this setup should've given domination as soon as i hit 100 cultural points, if it did then i'd change the 9 ocean tile to coastal and see then.

Anyway heres the setup, the save game will be in the next post

take a look at the save and see if you can see why the domination hasn't been trigger already here

It triggered on the next turn when I loaded it up. It looked like it should've. Does it do something different on yours?

Here's the thread for the domination test I did last week. It contains the most work I've done to prove the theory.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18849

BTW, if anyone disputes the scoring or domination theory, please, speak up! I'm after the truth, not being right. Good to hear you're doing investigation, Trash. :)

Yeah i did that test, at work :) and i just have the original game installed there.

I just tried it here at home with the patches installed, and yeah i get a domination on the next turn :blush: false alarm i guess hehe. I sure at me stumped :). But you can see that the turn before that save the city still had over 100 points of culture, so it must've been a bug they fixed already.

Thanks for checking it out for me, and showing me where the new thread is for the discussion.

and keep up the good work. I triggered another accidental domination in the GOTM again this month, so this study will definately help me out :)

Top Bottom