tesbs additional items

Not sure if this is for tesb or Selphi: Is there any reason why some units can buy items and others can't? The pattern seems to be that heroes can't do it but other units can (maybe there's some other restriction I'm missing, but the 2 heroes I've tried can't buy while other units can). I guess that might make sense from a balance perspective, but it seems a little counterintuitive. From a flavor point of view, it should be the heroes that have the cool equipment.

heroes have no special restriction. Biggest restriction is usually unitcombat.

Sephi is (of course) correct the aviable items are mostly dependant on the unit type: recon, melee, adept, naval and disciple. the only difference between a hero and a normal unit is the promotion: hero. The hero itself belongs to one of the categories mentioned above. Of course there are other restrictions, just go in the pedia under the tab 'gear' and you will find them.

Edit: The point of the items that i add is to add more flavour to the existing civilisations, open up some new strategies (i hope none of them will be too strong) and i also enjoy making them :) . I could also add really strong items for heroes only, but that would lessen the allready existing legendary items like war, gela, black mirror, ect.

Is there any code to help the AI buy these items? Because I think one of the best things about civ-specific items is the spoils of war - killing that level 10 Griogori Dragonslayer to get his copy of "A Critique of Pure Reason" and +7 Proletariat Armor.

Maybe have the AI check a level and cash threshold - if you have a level 4+ fully upgraded unit AND are over your cash reserve target, then buy said unit some fancy pants.

you cannot capture gear currently. (it's a promotion like combat1). Well, mimics might capture some gear.

I thought it might be a false correlation. The two heroes were Lucian Cold Iron and Kythril Kyl (sp?). My recon units had access to maybe 7 items but these two had access to none. Anyway, great job on the items mod!

thanks for the compliment, now to your issue:
Lucian Cold Iron is considered a melee unit and Kithra Kyriel is a mounted unit, so they have other gear then recon units.

@hbar the ai currently doesn't use the items. I played a game with bannor and switched to basium, and i had an adventurerers guild in almost every city, before i switched to basium. i could buy gear but the ai did not, after it took over, i hope sephi will find a way to improve upon the ai (as always :) ). Anyhow there are still some civs missing items, i hope i will add them soon, any ideas are welcome as always :)

I have now added spells for the Luchuirp Adepts to enchant their Golems with the Equipment.

thanks sephi
here are new items:

Hippus:

Mercenary Contract: (Mounted)
-Price: 75 Gold
-Adds: Ability: Fight for an other Lord: (this ability adds the mercenary promotion)
-Requires: Hippus, Adv. Guild, Feudalism

==> Mercenary: +5Gold/Combat; Hidden Nationality; AI Controll; 10%chance to wear off each turn

War Lances: (Mounted; Weapon: 3)
-Price: 150 Gold
-Adds: Immune to Firststrikes; +2 Firststrikes; +1 Attack
-Requires: Hippus; Forge; Adventures Guild; Adv. Warfare

Cataphract Horse Armor: (Mounted; Armor: 2)
-Price: 100 Gold
-Adds: +1 Defence
-Requires: Hippus; Forge; Iron working; Adv. Guild

@Sephi:
I have chosen the most fitting already existing button art, if you are not satisfied please feel free to change it or add new ones.

@Sephi:
one second point: It is a bit sad that the ai can't use those items, maybe we should drop the Adv. Guild requirements* on all items (except Grigori ones) and you do your magic and somehow teach the ai how to use them :)

*i never saw any ai building an adventurers guild except gregori; also the guild is quite hard to get for non gregori civilisations (for the ai, not for the player)

Hey, fantastic work you're doing here!

Just some comment on the prices... 200 gold for +1 att/def in the first post, and 250 gold for BLITZ!!! on elves. If you consider the ability to cast haste with their second item, it looks like an uber combo (haste+blitz) :).

thanks for your comment, but sephi actually changed some prices. Also the elven gear comes very late (needs mithril tech) and the haste can only be casted in forests (or ancient forests) and applies only to unit who uses the gear, so its rather minor.

when items come early i tend to make them a bit more expansive, since they are more gamechanging in the early game (or rather mid game since they all require adventurers guild).

you might be right, on the other hand as an elf i rarely tech to mithril weapons, while playing as elohim the first thing i do is tech to monks, maybe that is reason enough to allow for the descrapency in price between the items.

i do not have the time to play a game with each civilisation to find out the right balance, so if you played a game and feeled something is wrong please report.

All i know is that i am playing a elohim game and monks are a blast now ;) especially against infernals.

just a quick comment on the Mercenary Contract - which I think is really neat:

75 g at 5 g/combat means 15 wins - a bit high in my opinion. Maybe have the cost at 25 g so 5 wins and you're at break even - again this is also quite high. Maybe 15 g or 3 wins and break even?

the gold is only a side effect, imho the hidden nationality is the main aspect. also bear in mind that you can trigger the ability when ever you want and as often as you want (if the mercenary promotion is worn off).

Also it uses the new sephi (c) barbarian ai, so it won't rush to the nearest city and suicide, instead it will engage enemies rather smart.

now to the next items:

Doviello:

Wolf Companion: (Recon and Melee)
-Price: 75 Gold
-Adds: +1 Sightrange; +25% against Animals; +5% Heal after Victory
-Requires: Exploration; Doviello; Adv. Guild

War Runes: (Melee) (also in need for better art button)
-Price: 250 Gold
-Adds: +1 Strength; Ability: Rage (Adds the 'Controlled Rage' Promotion)
-Requires: Mysticism; Pagan Temple; Adv. Guild; Doviello

==> Controlled Rage: +1 Attack; -3 Defense; Fear; 50% Chance to wear off each turn

Animal Totem: (Adept and Disciple) (also in need for better button art)
-Price: 175 Gold
-Adds: Ability: Animal Spirit Guide (Adds a Promotion with the same name)
-Requires: Mysticism; Pagan Temple; Mage Guild; Adv. Guild; Doviello

==> Animal Spirit Guide: +50% chance of gaining exp this turn; removed by combat; removed my spellcasting

great work as usual :goodjob: merged

Once Equipment becomes a bigger aspect I will add AI for it. Right now I see it more as flavor/toys for human player.

it's only really important for Grigori AI anyway so perhaps you could teach them how to use it decently and then expand on that later on ;)

why is it only important for the gregori?

@sephi i am busy the next three weeks, so don't expect new items from me until mid april :)

Top Bottom