"That We May Live in Peace" Help!

Kadazzle

Emperor
Hey everyone. Earlier today I tried to get the "That We May Live in Peace" achievement. I was playing as the Arabs on King difficultly. My general technique to get the achievement was:

-Rush closest enemy Capital with warrior units.
-Research Horseback Riding and Produce Horses.
-Get free Mathematics and rush Catapults.

I started off as a I planned; I captured Spain's capital with a quick 1 warrior rush off the start (Saved Game). By which time I got a free settler (Built a production city), and switch all tiles to working science on my cities.

I found the French when I finished researching Horseback (my first tech). Using the gold I had and my production city, I rush 2 horse armies and stormed into Paris, capturing it and leaving only 2 capitals left in the late B.C's.

I explored some more and found the Germans, and started building Catapult units. (Got free Math from era bonus, achieved by getting techs from Spain & French when capital city was lost) Once I rushed a catapult army, I moved towards Berlin. Captured quickly with my horse and catapult armies and gp culture flipped their last city.

By this time in the game (Not sure exact date, around 400 B.C) I have explored "the main land" but I can't find the last capital. Now knowing it's on an island, I rush a galley, but find the island too late and end up winning the game in 1200 AD.

Did I do something wrong? The only save I did was after I captured Madrid. Should I try a new strategy or was luck just not on my side? Lastly, should I re-start the game from the save point, or hope for a better map in a new game?

Thanks for the help!

Reloading seems like cheating though, but that's all up to you.

You should try and build roads between cities to reduce movement points. Since mathematics is the last tech you'll need for this win, you should focus your cities to gold.

Sounds like you did okay, you just had bad luck with the last civ not being on your continent. The main difficulty in winning this achievement is that the last civ or 2 is so far away that it takes your armies forever to get to their capitals. Like vinstafresh suggested, roads are the key here.

Try this: for any settlers you get or produce, move them WAY away from your capital toward the enemy civ(s). Put a city up near them and save enough money to build a road. This will be your conveyor belt to get your armies up there quickly. It doesn't matter how far away from your capital it is, if there is a road, it's like being right next door. Catapults armies can then be on the front lines in 1 turn when they're ready, instead of going 20 spaces away, at 1 space per turn.

Any capital you take, hook it up to your roads. These will be well-developed cities that can quickly make new units for you. Focus them on production and send the units out to new front lines.

You don't need catapults to win this achievement though. Go for horseback riding then toward Monarchy so you can get Religion (+1 attack with fundamentalism), if you haven't already won by then. You can also get to Feudalism (knights) from Monarchy to boost your attack. This works especially well with the English (as many people have described), because they start with Monarchy already.

The civ I used was Mongols. I put my first city on all science and got horseback riding by 3600 bc. Then I switched the city to all production and started building Keshiks. I sent these out and took over 5-6 barbarian huts (they turn into cities for Mongols), which I used to get elite Keshiks and produce more units. Steam-rolled 2 nearby civs, hooked them up to roads, turned them into Keshik factories, and rolled on. Soon, I had enough tech for the midieval age (by research but also stealing techs by conquering cities), which gives the Mongol Keshiks +1 movement point. This really helps to speed things up enough to win by 1000 AD. The last city was a little tough, but attacking it from a hill with a great general and elite armies was enough for it to fall.

Here is what I did to get this achievement:

1. I used Arabs as you did, fundamentalism makes this much better.
2. Build about 6 warriors, research HBR
3. Once you have HBR you don't need to research, put your capital and every city you conquer on gold production.
3. You should be able to take a capital with just warriors, without having to reload.
4. Every city should be producing horses and gold, and nothing else. If you have enough population to work all forest and sea tiles, don't bother trying for city growth.
5. I actually got Math near the end, but I didn't bother building catapults because they are too slow. Just keep building horses. Try and rush a barracks in your best production city.
6. By the end your opponents might have pikemen (or, in my case, they are Greeks and have hoplites) but you can beat them with horsemen because you will have so many to throw at them.
7. Try to explore as your conquer, so you know where the remaining capitals are. You especially need to figure out if you will need a galley, and decide what city is the best to rush it from (based on the locations of your armies and the capitals you need.

Hope this helps.

I got way lucky with this one. There was basically one small continent and everybody was within a pretty short distance of each other. I just rushed for HBR, forget the catapults.

I just got the achievement, won the game at 650 AD. I did it with the Arabs, and the road tip really helped, saved me at least 3-5 turns! I ended up taking the first two capitals (England & Mongolia) with a horse rush, two easy capitals. Luckily, France's borders were literally right beside London, so I knew were one of the last two capitals were. Built road from Tripoli-Medina(used your tip to build this city far away)-London so I could get units to Paris quick time. I got a caravan and looked for the last civ, which happened to be the Aztecs. I had a warrior and attacked their capital with it, but lost to his archer army (15 strength vs 15 strength) so I built a horse army to send over there. Attacked Paris with 2 horse armies, but they got lucky and killed me. I started to build catapults (Stopped research once I got the free Spy from Writing and focused on rush units) to attack France as their capital was close to London so the traveling wasn't far. Took Paris and Tenochtitlan same turn (600), Paris with 2 Catapult armies, Spy and a Horse Army (Horse for defense for the catapults) and Tenochtitlan with a Horse army (Got lucky and got a General from a lucky archer win, after that it was a breeze)

Thanks for your tips, it helped a lot!

Congrats! You finished that achievement much earlier than I did (900 AD!)

And that would be an achievment in itself... :confused:

Sorry for the tone, just found it funny to read your congrats to someone else on this topic. ;)

Yeah, maybe I should have put a couple of returns after "congrats". I was congratulating him on his achievement, and then separately trying to say that I didn't do as well as he did.

Try doing this on Blitzkreig, I did it first time using Arabs and similar technique to the above, Blitzkrieg just makes it more fun!

Now just those Deity achievements to get... :sad:

I used a simliar techniques to the ones being described here that involve focusing on horseback riding and banging out horse units, although I found Mongols were a better bet for getting 6 or more cities producing for me more quickly.

The Mongols are definitely better for pumping them out quicker, but as the Arabs you get a +3 attack bonus for armies because of Fundamentalism. you also get extra attack with Knights, if you have to use them, which makes it a lot easier to win tough battles.

Top Bottom