That's revolting!!!

MarauderCH

Warlord
So I was playing a game as Byzantine and going for a culture victory and it had a lot of revolts! I've never seen more then one in a game before, I believe. The first was Germany revolted from Order to Autocracy. Germany was the first Civ to adopt an ideology and England was second. Germany revolted turns after England adopted it's ideology.

I picked Freedom and my neighbors, the Maya, the Zulu, and the Netherlands all picked Order. I managed to get Freedom as the world ideology and one by one flipped all three of them because of my high tourism. After that, three German cities revolted and joined my civ. I liberated the first one to bring the Shoshone back into the game. The Shoshone were in the medieval era and listening to pop music! Then Germany revolted and went to Freedom, too! I had England close to revolting but won the game before they did.

I've never seen so many revolts in one game though I normally don't have so much tourism. The key was getting my ideology adopted as the world's which I did by one vote! It was quite a game!

Happens if you have high tourism as already stated and if you choose a different ideology compared to the rest of the world rather late.

Its quite common for AIs to revolt if you have 100+ tourism.

I was playing a game the other day, this was the final result:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/506947022759775867/20C39765B7FACC465C0907A082F857F6C753815A/

As you can see I have over 700 tourism and not a single revolt! Austria and Carthage went order, Ethiopia freedom and the Danes went Autocracy. Austria was a bit of a culture powerhouse early game, but by the end she had about 120 tourism to my 700. They were unhappy from it (-20 happiness each) but no revolts!

If your tourism is high early on then the likelihood of civs revolting is quite high. If it's high late on when they're pretty much filed in their tenets then they prolly wont.
In one game Poland(who was an autocrat, and the world a communist one) had -140 ideological unhappiness and -24 empire unhappiness but he still stayed an autocrat....

In one game Poland(who was an autocrat, and the world a communist one) had -140 ideological unhappiness and -24 empire unhappiness but he still stayed an autocrat....

How many total points of influence (the negative minus the positive influence) were hitting him? No matter how unhappy, if the total influence that hit him isn't high enough, he'll stay in Civil Resistance with the sort of huge numbers of unhappiness you talk of.

I've had games in which very wide civs (one had +30 cities) like Casimir were hit negatively by World Ideology (+2), and only two extra points of influence from other civs (I think... it might have been 3 total incl. WI). That kept him in Civil Resistance with huge numbers of unhappiness like yours. It's only once he got influenced some more that he went into RW and eventually switched.

I've also seen Casimir stick to Autocracy once despite losing 5-6 cities, though.. that was in a game in which he had 7 or 8 CS allies (a mix of militaristic and mercantile) from having Gunboat Diplomacy and was also just a few capitals away from a Domination Victory. He also had 5x the average number of soldiers, 8 techs minimum over anyone and much more than that with many and 30+ cities and didn't seem to care much about the unhappiness. After a while losing cities put his unhappiness back above -20 and he stopped losing more, and stuck with Autocracy till his defeat :p

I've also seen other wide civs stick with their ideology despite a RW. I suspect that beside the victory they're after influencing their choice it's also because they have available happiness buildings in production that will revert their situation eventually. In other games tall civs in particular are very prone to switch Ideology.

I have two cities, on two different continents. One is the second largest in that continent, and the other is the largest city (but not capital) in the other continent. my continent and the other continents are separated by large amount of water. None of our borders touch.
I acquired both of them through revolutions.
I have less than 100 tourism, and I have my own dissidents.
And none of the civ leaders told me to stop expanding to their proximities.
Still confuse me up to now.

Top Bottom