Thawed Antarctica

bcaiko

Emperor
I was very excited by the randomized continents map pack, particularly to play on "thawed" Antarctica, which I thought would be super cool. Sadly, I've discovered it's a glorified pangea map (which I've never found fun).

Dear Firaxis - Antarctica does not look like this when thawed:
Spoiler :

It looks like THIS:
Spoiler :

The later would be a much more balanced and fun map, IMHO. :blush:

That would be sweet, it looks like a pangea plus plus, with lots of mini islands.

That would be an interesting map, although it wouldn't be a random interior map. Good map for a modder to make, imo. I think people like the idea of playing on a map that looks like Antarctica (without it being completely ice), so that's what it's for. I get that it isn't strictly accurate as a thawed Antarctica.

The second map isn't really scientifically correct as it doesn't take the new sea level into account. If you melt antarctic ice everything below it will be covered by water.

The second map isn't really scientifically correct as it doesn't take the new sea level into account. If you melt antarctic ice everything below it will be covered by water.

But you're also going to have the continent itself rising as it no longer has the weight of the ice on it. And the continent isn't entirely flat, you've still got plenty of bits high above sea level that would remain visible even with the most drastic sea level rise

But you're also going to have the continent itself rising as it no longer has the weight of the ice on it. And the continent isn't entirely flat, you've still got plenty of bits high above sea level that would remain visible even with the most drastic sea level rise

The point is: it's hard to draw the proper borders of iceless Antarctica.

The onyl reason why this is called "Thawed Antarctica" is because it would be painful to play a map with nothing but snow tiles and the ocassional tundra -.-

Top Bottom