The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

They're going to have to do much better than that against Brazil. Maybe they just didn't take Japan seriously. A huge mistake that could have cost them. If they don't show up better than that against Brazil they're toast.

It's the third day of the knockout stage, and another big surprise looked very real for a time. However, ah well.

The leading group, with five points, consists of AdrienIer, caketastydelish, Serutan, ThERat, Turquoiside and Uberfrog. Good job, gentlemen!

Following at four points, Azale, BirraImperial, Ozbenno, red_elk, Rik Meleet, Sofista and Takhisis.

Just below, with three points but still very much in the race, are Ferocitus, raen, shadowplay, Snerk and Timsup2nothin.
Forum vote has five points so far.

Really, what else could Mexico have done? They play well, stick to their plan, counteratack capably, even at the end of the game they didn't just attack frantically. It's easy to see why they always make it to the knockout stage. And Brazil has a real defense, and a good GK.
Japan had all of us open-mouthed for a time I bet. And they really played good football while at it, as well. But their own euphoria got the better of them: had they just slowed the game down (I know, easier said than done) they could have scored a historical victory. But you just don't leave so much room to a team with the variety of solutions Belgium possesses forward, and the Red Devils, shocked in their pride, rallied and prevailed. On to Brazil for them, with the bonus that Thiago Silva won't be of the party. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the same circumstance also was true of another match Brazil played at the WC - the one popularly known as the Mineirazo...

I appear to have picked the wrong 45 minutes of football to skip to go play tourist.

Not that I could have guessed otherwise beforehand, or after the first half.

That's funny because I skipped the first half. :lol:

I woke up to a 2-0 and quickly went to watch the game. It was a great game and Belgium actually got their act together. I am rooting for Japan but in order to have Brazil eliminated soon, I was happy to see Belgium go through. I am quite certain that Brazil gets eliminated by either Belgium or France.

By the way, if England manages to win against Columbia, there will be only one non-European team left. I think Europe needs to be stripped more places for the next few World Cups :)

Mexico played well in the first half, especially early on when they had some chances to open up the scoring, but Brazil slowly took control of the game and in the 2nd half they were the dominant side and the goals came...I don't think there's much the Mexicans could have done differently, Brazil was simply the better team, while not looking so powerful at times.
Belgium certainly underestimated Japan and almost paid the price for it...The Japanese team had a very solid defensive block that was difficult for the Belgians to break for most of the match. The Red Devils reacted only after finding themselves 2 goals down and the Japanese had huge issues defending the set-piece plays and headers. The third Belgian goal was a thing of beauty. That counter-attack was very well orchestrated. One would think a more experienced side would have tried to waste some time instead of going all out on a corner kick, but the Japanese did precisely that and were punished dearly...Probably was the best game of the cup so far...

By the way, if England manages to win against Columbia, there will be only one non-European team left. I think Europe needs to be stripped more places for the next few World Cups :)

Uruguay and Brazil are still there for South America. And England could always lose... :p

The 2026 World Cup will have an absurd 48 teams, so hopefully a few more non-European teams can survive.

The 2026 World Cup will have an absurd 48 teams, so hopefully a few more non-European teams can survive.

2026: +4 African teams, +3 Asians, +1 Central American, +2 Europeans, +1 South Americans. So with 10 out of 16 teams in the knockout phase coming from Europe (which fielded 14 teams), and South America performing similarly (4 teams, only Peru could not make it), apparently the right idea is not to reward performance.

It's all very fine, I'll try to watch Vanuatu-Aruba anyway.

Last edited:
+ 4 african teams is probably fine, +3 asian is more annoying.

I saw South Korea beat and eliminate Germany and Japan doing very very fine against Belgium yesterday. You didn't?

Yeah but beyond the top 4-5 teams Asia is empty. While you can add Ivory coast, Cameroon, Ghana, Algeria without it lowering the level of the competition
The next Asian country to qualify was Syria, then the emirates and Uzbekistan. Those are really really bad

Eh. Egypt left with 0 points, Morocco with 1 (they deserved better, but still), Tunisia got 3 thanks to Panama. Of the whole African contingent, only Senegal can legitimately say they would have belonged in the knockout stage (the one team led by an African and not some European C-lister: food for thoughts). I wonder how would Ivory coast, Cameroon, Ghana and Algeria have avoided becoming more fodder (but props for knowing anything about Syria, Emirates and Uzbekistan, I wouldn't even know their colors).

Ahem. Let's not tell ourselves fables: the criteria have been political for Africa, commercial for Asia (they badly want China in the competition, or at least India). These additional teams won't go anywhere, but will keep the money flowing the entire group stage (which will be much longer than the one we just experienced).

Last edited:
I disagree. With better luck Morocco could have eliminated Spain or Portugal, and Nigeria almost eliminated Argentina. And I still believe that Egypt with Salah in top form could have gone through. The African teams have the potential to play well in the competition, the Asian teams beyond the top 4 do not.

I disagree. With better luck Morocco could have eliminated Spain or Portugal, and Nigeria almost eliminated Argentina. And I still believe that Egypt with Salah in top form could have gone through. The African teams have the potential to play well in the competition, the Asian teams beyond the top 4 do not.

What can I say... reality ensued?

I'm just saying that compared to Panama Costa Rica and Saudi Arabia the African nations did ok. None of them would have been completely out of place in the next round except for Egypt due to Salah not being in top form

Top Bottom