The AIs are griefing Me!

Zenstrive

Ocean King
So I am Songhai.
The rest of the casts are Persia, Austria, Ethiopia, Denmark, Greece, Indonesia, and Holland.
I got DOWed by Austria and Persia because they are jealous of my progress after I ate Denmark's cities close to me.
So I spanked their behinds hard. I swallowed Persia, leaving him with one small city.
Then I got three factories.
I chose FREEDOM! JUST BECAUSE!
then my happiness drop to -1. No biggie.
Then I annexed 14 pops Pasargadae (given to me by Persia when they're cornered), put a Courthouse to reduce unhappiness.
My happiness is reduced to -9.
Nothing to write home about.
Then my citizens got this ORDER FEVER and turned red.
Guess they really love being ordered around by me.
So I got -23.
That ex-Denmark city, Copenhagen, is revolting and want to join Greece.
Then the entire world DOW-ed me.
ALL OF THEM.
I guess everyone really hates me and really want to kick me out of my throne and help my citizens reach happiness.

Thanks God for autosaves :D

Or you know, the ORDER FEVER wasn't agood thing and you could've saved your happiness and your COpenhagen by switching to Order.

Your problems were as follows:
1) You conquered Denmark's cities (including his capital) which stuck you with a major warmongering penalty.
2) After you got DOWed, you conquered a lot of Persia's cities (including HIS capital), so there's another warmongering penalty. This is why the AIs all hate you guts by this time.
3) By this point you had a wide empire, but chose Freedom for your ideology. If you go wide, you should seriously consider Order (also, since you were warmongering, might not Autocracy have been a better choice?) Now, granted, I can understand that those early adopter free tenets are nice, but too many people seem to have this weird thing about not wanting to adopt Order...not sure why...
4) You annexed Parsagardae while at size 14. You should've set it to "Raze" for a few turns until it shrank to a smaller size and then annexed it - that way it wouldn't have nuked your happiness quite so much.
5) Apparently you'd been neglecting your culture (which makes sense if you've been warmongering - in Vanilla or GnK). However, you can't get away with that any more. The tourism output of the Order civs was just too much and forced you to negative happiness.
6) You refused to switch to Order even after your happiness dropped to -23, and lost Copenhagen, setting you back on a Domination Victory. If you get Revolutionary Wave, you should click that button on the Ideology screen that changes your ideology to the preferred one. Without waiting.
7) Because you'd been warmongering, you got chain DoWed.

I'd be amazed if there was anyone on this forum who hasn't been in that situation, it's just what happens if you go full out warmonger, they're not griefing, you trying to stop you from winning a dom victory.

Well, before BNW I have been warmongering, even though I am aiming for science or cultural victory but never the world DOW me in unison. . Now since BNW I have always aiming for Diplo or Science victory, enjoying being a CIVIL society that communicates with money and arts instead with metals and gunpowders (well, metals and gunpowders are not totally inevitable, with occasional brawl here and there).

So the next story is:
I loaded the autosave, chose Order, and still conquered Persia. But not everyone DOWed. Just Austria, Indonesia, Ethiopia, and Iroquois.
Indo and Iro are on different continents far away. Ethio is meek. That left Austria.
Indonesia got chickened out after their frigates reached my oceans and saw me with frigates, privateers, and ironclades lining up to take Austria cities.
Austria got chickened out after that city got to 0 defense and GAVE me that city. I let them in peace for now.
Ethiopia got chickened out after Austria chickened out and gave me another city. I let him run in peace.
That left Iro.
His fleed arrived: four frigates. that's it.
My artilleries handled them nicely.
Then Persia DOW-ed me. For whatever reason. He only has one city.
This is the most brutal BNW games I have ever been in :D

Top Bottom