The Armageddon Counter

Mu'min

Warlord
Hi,
Does anyone know the precise affects of the armageddon counter and when they kick in? At what modifiys it? In my current game i have already had blight at 30 and recently it has been creeping upwards and is now hovering at 39. I am right in thinking something happens at 40? So how can i get it down?

thanks
Armageddon Counter: - if anyone can add to the list, let me known and i will add it, and the +/- modifiers too.
(major events/units / minor events)

2 - 2-headed cow 2/-2, war games -2

5 - angel procession -2, mystic tree 5/-5

10 - armageddon speech, sobs -2, washed out, demonic tome 5/-5, elohim hallowing -3/3, holy child -5/-10/10/5, sheaim elegy 3/-3

15 - order vs AV

20 - orphanage fire 2/-2, pestilence 1 & 2

25 - order vs AV temple, AV vs order temple

30 - Blight, monsoon, dustbowl, saundra, volcano

35 - pestilence

40 - Stephanos, cyclone event, famine event

50 - Buboes, hurricane, tornado

60 - Yersinia

70 - Ars Moriendi

80 - Hellfire terrain that spawns barb or infernal champs.

90 - Avatar of Wrath

100 - Armageddon, kills a large portion of living units and population in cities of non-fallow civs - 60%.

Things that increase / decrease the counter:
events:
Razing cities - varible up to pop 5 +1, at pop >5 increasing with size of pop.
Sactifying a razed city ruin -1
Lunatic +5
Shrine camulos +1/-3/+3
Iron orb +2/-1
Obsidian Scepter Constellation +1
Silver Spear Constellation +1
units/buildings:
Pillar of Chains +4
Stigmata of the unborn +5
The Necronomigon +3
Basium +5
Beast of Agares +1
Eidolon +1
Hyborem +5
Mardero +3
Meshabber +3
Rosier +2
Sphener -3
Valin -2
Wrath +3
promotions/religions:
Prophecy mark +1
War (promotion) +1 (on combat)
Founding OO religion +3
Founding AV 5 +1 per city
Removing AV from city -1
(No religions seem to decrease counter)

40 - Stephanos, 50 - Buboes, 60 - Yersinia and 70 will bring in Ars Moriendi. Depending on how early do they show up they can either die early or end up destroying half the civs.

80 will create hellfire tiles all over the map that spawn barbarian (or infernal if they're in the game) champions.

90 - Avatar or Wrath enters the world and about 60% of living units in the world receive enraged promotion.

100 - Armageddon, kills a large portion of living units and population in cities of non-fallow civs.

To get the counter down, raze AV cities, kill units with profecy mark, eidolons, beasts of agares, Hyborem, Basium. Some random events offer options that reduce the counter. Elohim have a repeatable ritual too.

thanks xalien,

Stephro has just appeared in the soft underbelly of my empire:eek::(:mad::cry:, thanks to 3 jump in the counter. Not sure what caused it though - someone founded the council of Enus, the bannor found a demonic tome and they razed a bard city all in the turn before so it could of been any of these. Fortunately, im playing the surface dwarfs and built the nexus gate, so ive gated in every spare gargoyle i could find and filled the cities near him. just hope it is enough to slow him down until all my elite units can get there.:sad:

raze AV cities, kill units with profecy mark, eidolons, beasts of agares, Hyborem, Basium. Some random events offer options that reduce the counter. Elohim have a repeatable ritual too.
As for these lot. noone has founded AV yet - all the evil civs are dead:devil:, and none of the other units have appeared except Basium. Who i killed after a nasty war with hordes of angels, sepths, heralds and death angels - nasty things.

If you known of any other factors that affect the armg. counter and how much effect they have let me know im going to make a list at the top.

thanks

It's a dark fantasy world and as such it's supposed to gradually converge towards armageddon. So while there are always a way to increase the counter (like razing cities) there's little you can do to bring it down.

One special note on Buboes - his equipment, the War, raises AC by 1 point every time he kills a living unit, so if he's allowed to rampage it won't take long for the rest of the cavalry to show up. Besides, it's quite tempting to use it for yourself for it's +3 unholy combat bonus, especially against angels who aren't alive and are fully susceptible to unholy damage.

bump:D updated the list at the top. Most of the information came from looking at the program files, look for 'iGlobalCounter' in the info if you want to look yourself.

Its not creating a lunatic. There is an event that there is a crazed killer on a rampage throughout your empire. Once you catch this killer, you can put him down, keep him as a swordsman, or there is another option if you are following the OO. I believe that this event is what the "Lunatic" is referring to, though I could be wrong. I do know however that creating a lunatic doesn't add 5 to the AC.

-Colin

Why does Basium increase the counter but Sphener decrease it? Aren't they doing basically the same thing--violating the Compact to fight demons?

Sorry Bill, i wasn't clear in my post. i will clear it up in a bit, but, yeah, colin is right its the lunatic event that i was refering to, not lunatic units.

Well that was interesting. Stephanos turned out..er...rather lame. Really lame. He managed to destroy 2 mines and a farm then attacked a gargoyle and promptly died:confused:. With 19 :strength: and +4 unholy attack i was expecting him to slaughter his way through every i threw at him, i didn't even get a chance to throw some fireballs at him. He just died. The odds must of been 99.9% in his favor. Oh well, at least his crown is mine now, and on the head of my 400+ XP crossbowman.:king::devil::ar15: and then:assimilate:.

Gargoyle fortified in a city is a tough cookie, +25% from city, +50% fortified, up to 50% from Barnaxus and whatever defences the late game city has can easily accumulate to over 200% bonus turning a 8:strength: unit into 24:strength:+. Horsemen in a post-bowyer era don't last long.

Not that tough. I had a play around with the WB, and a gargoyle in a city with all the enpower promotions has a strength of 14 vs stephanos's 24. The gargoyle only just arrived in the city so it was unfortified. Stephanos's odds on beating my gargoyle were 96.5%. With steph's speed and flying promotion he would of been next to impossible to catch. Remember, when he turned up, all i had in the nearby cities were slingers, just one in each city. I got very lucky.:cool:

Wow, that's really lucky! If Stephanos has gotten any promotions, you would of been toast!

I've never had any of the horsemen be a problem. Once one of my OO-crazed lunatics killed one of them while on auto-pilot.

Well that was interesting. Stephanos turned out..er...rather lame. Really lame. He managed to destroy 2 mines and a farm then attacked a gargoyle and promptly died:confused:. With 19 :strength: and +4 unholy attack i was expecting him to slaughter his way through every i threw at him, i didn't even get a chance to throw some fireballs at him. He just died. The odds must of been 99.9% in his favor. Oh well, at least his crown is mine now, and on the head of my 400+ XP crossbowman.:king::devil::ar15: and then:assimilate:.
I had a similar introduction to the Horsemen when an Ars Moriendi who had just come from destroying a few civilisations (and thus was very high level) managed to die against the first Tar Demon he met.

It was all made okay when Buboes showed up and razed half my cities, though.

So what do the deaths of various civilizations do to the apocalypse counter? Killing the Sheaim for example seems to lower it by a lot.

Lately, I've taken to playing with double armageddon counter on to make the challenge more interesting and white-knuckle. It can get hairy seeing the counter jump from 10 to 35 in just a couple of turns.

So what do the deaths of various civilizations do to the apocalypse counter? Killing the Sheaim for example seems to lower it by a lot.

yes i had kinda of notice that too, but i don't have any definite numbers or the civs it applies to. If you have any of the numbers or civs, let me know and i will add it to the list.

Lately, I've taken to playing with double armageddon counter on to make the challenge more interesting and white-knuckle. It can get hairy seeing the counter jump from 10 to 35 in just a couple of turns.
That would be frightening. At first I thought I had End of Days on when I got the AC to 100 by turn 300 (Normal speed, Sheaim), but thinking back I'm certain that the Elegy was only increasing the AC by 5. Either it only does +5 even on End of Days, or it could have been even easier to destroy Erebus.

Top Bottom