The Broken Bell

thomas.berubeg

Wandering the World

Consider, then, the fall of the Sorcerer Kings of Ancient Times.

The men of yore were a great people, standing proud above the world. With their noble sorceries, they raised great cities of Iron and glass from the earth, bound the demons of the earth and forests with their great black chains, many of which still crisscross the land. They even conversed with the stars themselves, learning of the Elder wisdoms. Every man and child enjoyed lives akin to that of kings.

Jealously did the vile serpent Petro, he of smoke and poison, lust after the works of man, but even in its base cunning it knew that they were beyond his clawing grasp. And so the demon approached the Black King, the king of all men. Never before had a more noble man, a wiser man, ruled. Thrice, the serpent came, promising riches, knowledge, and power, and thrice the Black King sent him away.

And so the serpent slipped into the King's White Gleaming Palace, darting from shadow to shadow, before coming to the oval room of the Black King's daughters. Rearing over them, he breathed a portion of his noxious self out. The foul miasma coiled, like an oily black smoke, slipping into the lungs of the seven girls.

Where before there had been seven girls full of life and joy and beauty now lay girls wasting away, sickly and pale. No ball could bring more than a thin, wispy smile to their face, no song could move their feet for more than a few steps. The Black King despaired, calling for doctors from all over this empire, but none could lift the curse upon the seven girls.

Finally, the Serpent returned, offering to lift the curse if only the King would take his counsel. Despairing, the king accepted, and his daughters were returned to their lovely selves... but the seeds of the downfall of man were laid.

From then on, all the works of man were tainted by the foul magics of the Serpent, and slowly it eroded the chains that man had put on the demons of the world. As man grew more and more powerful upon the back of the forbidden knowledge they now bore, so too did evil forces of the world prepare to take them down.

Many of the City-Weavers were corrupted by the subtle whispers of demons, and they worked against their brothers in secret, weaving enchantments that would free Petro's mother, the greatest of the Primeval Serpents, from its icy prison. Of the men unwittingly sworn to Serpent was the Black King, who, with his greatest mastery of the arcane secrets, was named the Witch King. From his steely throne, he turned the magics of mankind against itself.

And so were the works of Mankind undone. in a single day and a single night, the Primeval Serpant broke her chains, and with Petro and his kin disease and famine and war at her side, consumed the flesh of the cities of man in a great wave. When the waters receded, not one man in a million remained alive.

But as great evil rose, so did a great good. The Witch King, who was once the wisest of all men, had born daughters, and they had born sons. Taking up the ancient weapons of their line, they found and brought heroes from all around the earth. Expending the last magics of the earth, they slew Petro and his Mother, and cut Disease and Famine into pieces so that alone they could not threaten mankind again. Together, they stood against the Witch King, and together they tore down his White Palace, and together they slew him. As the last of the magics of this earth faded, so did the heroes, laying down their swords and passing into the beyond, till such time as they are needed again.

- Excerpt from Lessons in Sin, Book Of The Years.

The Broken Bell will take place nearly a millennia after the fall of the sorcerer-kings of yore.

While I intend to accept as many players as I feel I can handle at any one time, there will be an application process wherein I hope that players can work together and with me to create cultures that fit the feel I hope to accomplish within the setting. Ultimately, I hope that we can work together to create a cohesive and interesting universe. I heavily encourage people to work together on applications, so that there IS a sense of coherent narrative.

To apply, simply fill out the below as completely as possible (With great thanks to thy for allowing me to rip him off.)

History:

Themes and Values:

Goals:

Variations:

National Focus:

National Failure:

History: Please describe the historical background for your culture/nation. Bear in mind that it’s been one thousand years since the almost literal end of the world. Time enough for SOMETHING, or even a few somethings, to have risen up and declined again. Additionally, the Sorcerer Kings of old used up most of the accessible non-renewable resources, so things like oil and coal aren’t easy to access with technology equivalent to modern technology. As such, Technology will be kept at some weird hybrid medieval stasis thing, with some exceptions: some advanced states may have electricity on waterways, what with hydroelectrics, while others may have figured out lighter than air flight. However, these are in no way standards.

Themes and Values: Describe the ideals and values that your people prize as important, as well as their taboos. Pretty much anything can go here; pick the ideas that excite you most. You can also talk about government types, religion, and other social structures. You don’t have to name anything IC yet unless you want to. [no limit]

Goals: What are your overarching goals for your people(s)? In a perfect universe, describe how you would like to end politically and culturally, with respect to yourselves and your neighbours. Examples might include dominating the region's trade routes, acquiring immense levels of cultural and religious prestige, or conquering the world. Plans for transitions, collapses or getting conquered by someone also go here. [2-4 sentences]

Variations: Will different cultures emerge from your root culture during this period? If so, what types? Consider hybridization with and influences from your neighbours. No one exists in a vacuum.

National Focus: Everyone wants to be effective at everything, but what are your people best at? [1-2 sentences]

National Failure: What do you see as your people’s greatest weaknesses? [1-2 sentences]

Stats and Doing Things.:

Stats will remain, until such time as I see fit, a simple affair detailing only in relative terms your military and economic might. The focus of this NES will be overarching cultural themes and affairs rather than the nitty-gritty numbers involved in what happens. As Lord of Elves put it in The Noisome Silence:

Spoiler :
The goal of this NES is to follow the trends of cultures, civilizations and ultimately kingdoms or nations or something resembling them. The NES should ideally run the gamut between a medieval stasis fantasy world and an environment of clans, tribes and great lineages. Stylistically I am looking for a blend of “A Song of Ice and Fire” and “The Silmarillion.” North_King's End of Empires but with elves. Accordingly the focus is less on the minute details of “How much did the Mountain King in Al-Gharzot spend on this turn's infrastructure project compared with the overall GDP of the Empire Al-Gharzotia and previous projects” and more on “In the waning years of the third age the Mountain King Hed-Ythrustag commissioned a great project to enhance the wealth and prosperity of his citizens, the dwarves of Al-Gharzotia.” Style, story and a focus on theme is the focus.

Stats will look something like this:

Culture Name: (Thurandal Nunehi/Thomas.berubeg)

Economic Strength: (5) - Relative strength of your economy to that of the world

Economic Description: (hunting and herding, occasional fishing from coastal groups) - Simple description of your economy

Military Strength: (5) - Relative strength of your military to that of the world

Military Description: (light cavalry with skirmisher support) - Simple description of your military

Cultural influence: Decaying, Susceptible to outside influences - How influential you are to your neighbors

Cities: (Nurn Torgis, Nurn Alban, Nurn Ghottan) - Important cities

THE WORLD:

The world is similar to ours in terms of climate, though likely quite a bit hotter. I’d imagine the northern areas of the map are tropical, while the southern bits are temperate. The western portions are a series of storm-wracked great deserts and plains, while the eastern ocean is theoretically navigable, and some drunken sailors claim to have crossed it to lands on the other side. The people of the known world generally have knowledge of the lands within its bounds, but not much beyond it.

Thick old growth forests cover the less inhabited areas, but farms and settlements dot the areas surrounding denser population areas. The seas are plied by warships and trading ships similar to that of our early middle ages, but a skilled sailor can travel from the far north to the far south without too much difficulty.

The agricultural package is similar to the modern American one, with corn, grain, barley, rice, and potatoes coexisting peacefully.

I'm OFTEN on the discord, if you have questions. In fact, i'd prefer talking about stuff before you post.

So, here is my Perennial attempt at running something. Good luck to me, yay.

You may post.

Looks good, ork! For reference, the pink area is probably about the maximum i'll allow for a single state, though cultural influences extend likely pretty far beyond your borders.

I’m interested in the North Carolina region, please talk to me if you want to play there too. I’ll write my signup properly tomorrow hopefully.

Posting my claims, I'll have more info later

The Federation of Free Cities and People (Called "The Federation" by its inhabitants, called "The Conrian Federation" by outsiders) (In work)

History:

600 years ago this region was the southern part of the Empire of Gorgossos, an evil Empire of slavers. However a prince wanting to reform this nation founding a city at the mouth of the southern canal. The city was called Conria and soon bloomed into a Metropolis, fuled by the trade flowing through it. As the empire weakend, this now old prince, now called the Lord of Conria formed an alliance with the cities of the inland swamps. These cities had been founded by run away slaves and under a charter of anti-slavery and freedom these cities now rose against the empire and repeled them from the south.
What followed were centuries of war, as the Gorgossi empire recovered, the Federation soon found itself on the verge of destruction.
The Imperial managed to capture Conria itself, plundered the city and put Vesta under siege.
It was the last surviving descedent of the first Lord of the city, today only known as the Great Hero united the fragmented forces of the Federation (part of which was the legendary march of the 1000 from Holdout) and lead them to liberate his occupied home city.
Since then the Federation recovered and soon both sides reached a stalemate, which ended ina general peace treaty, unsatisfying for both sides.
Since then the Federation has seen ups and down, but the founding cities (red dots on the Map) have stood strong and will defend their wealth and freedom with all they have.

Themes and Values:
Originally an enlightend Federation of propserous cities, hundreds of years have turned many officials greedy and corrupt. The Federation still functions and can mobilize large forces to defend itself.
Each city has its own culture and customs, the large cities along the sea coast are highly developed and are as large as several inland cities.
Inside the Federation council three factions dominate:
Conria, the largest city, founding city and seat of the council it is the largest and most powerful of the cities. It is located at the mouth of the channel, both on the island and the peninsular. It alone boast a navy of 80 war galleys and has over 400 000 inhabitants. It, the landlocked cities and the cities along the easter canal form the largest faction.
The second Faction is lead by Vesta, the city on the island left to Conria, Conrias old rival and a metropolis of over 200 000. Together with Attis and Massit, the twin cities on the island left to Vesta form a faction with them.
The third faction is lead by Holdout, the largest swamp city with 50 000 people, a city built into the water of the large swamps and rivers. A proud city, the first of the "Freeman city" it has allegiance of most of the other swamp cities.

All in all the corruption inside the Federation is widespread, but kept at a tolerable level. You can buy most things and officials if you don't go too far or do it too openly. There is however one thing even the most corrupt official won't accept.

Slavery, the Federation was founded to fight slavery and it shall never allow it again. Any slaver passing their waters will be killed on sight and enslaving Federation citiziens is even more stupid. A tribe of nomands once enslaved several captured peasants from a Federation village, 2 months later 40 000 soldiers from the Federation destroyed that tribe forever.

Goals:

The Federation ahs two simple goal. Keep the Status Quo and if possible, gain even more wealth.

Variations:

National Focus:

The Federation seeks prosperity and will fight to protect its wealth and freedom.

National Failure:

The Federation has become corrupt and often reacts only slowly, without substantial reforms they are already mostly part their peak.

Last edited:
Jad!

You are the Wind that crosses the Earth!

You are the Storm that tears down mountains!

You are the Fire that consumes cities!

Ride, Jad, Ride!

Last edited:
upload_2018-4-15_16-2-0.png

Approximate Location for the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth.

History: Later

Themes: Martial theocracy, Faith in the Lord who art in Heaven, patriarchy, restoration of old and holy places. Kingdom of Heaven on Earth is a federation of allied tribes, towns, cities, and villages who are all governed by a hereditary Warrior King, the leader of whose federal structure is elected between the Kings. Faith in the Lord who art in Heaven is the state religion of the Federation, and adaptation of the Faith is mandatory should a city, community, or other places desire the protection of the Warrior Kings and their armies.

While the coastal cities often fume at the control of the Faith and the Warrior Kings, the hills and valleys of the Chean mountains hide many redoubts, fortifications, and castles of Warrior Kings from which come legions of loyal warriors ready to die and kill for the sake of the Faith.

Goals: The Kingdom of Heaven on Earth and the Faith itself desires the restoration of Holy Places, and eventually, to sail across the stormy seas to the mythical holy lands across the seas. First, however, the unbelievers of the lands immediately surrounding the Chean mountains must be pacified and ancient relics of power collected.

Variations: The Coastmen, living in larger cities and farms across the coastal plains west of the Chean mountains. They often live under the oppressive thumb of the Faith and the Warrior Kings, but are in the process of assimilating (or being assimilated) the Hillsmen from which the Warrior Kings hail from.

Hillsmen: The origin of the Warrior Kings and the faith, living in redoubts, valleys, and fortified villages all across the Chean Mountains, only descending to raid the coast and forest people or as part of an official army of the Kingdom itself. Cultural exchange with conquered Coastmen have begun to have a long term effect upon the Hillsmen.

Forest People: Savage groups of people and bandits living in thick coastal woods and hills of the Chean mountains, always in conflict with the armies of Kingdom under Heaven and living in fortified redoubts and villages much like the Hillsmen as well as quickly erected raid camps. In the process of being eventually assimilated into the Kingdom under Heaven.

.............................................................................................................................................................

National Focus: Warfare, Cultural Assimilation

............................................................................................................................................................

National Failure: Fearful, intolerant, etc.

Updating my claims in order to contest less territory.

Tobiisagoodboy set up shop on my plot (vis vis the original attempt at this series) to my disappointment. Naturally I shall respond :p

The Empire of Gorgossos

note = claimed by virtue and right of the fact that Gorgossos (albeit not the name and the general evil-incarnate part which came from Thomas) was originally my idea, as a corollary of my original application in the first attempt at this game. Also please note that the historical Empire and my app (as of turn zero), while they have historical and political continuity are not the same thing. One descends from the other as one can infer from the history below (oracle rises up and replaces the old republican empire with colonies being lost in the process).

map link is
Spoiler :

This shows the core region I'd like to claim. If possible, in addition to this area land on the other side of the golden gate (strait into the inner sea) from Tobi's claim as well as some of the coastline across the oceanic inlet from the Gorgossi core or further along the coast from said core, would be ideal.

1: capital is the red dot with green border, name Gorgossos
2: generic red indicates major cities - major centres in addition to Gorgossos are [Devantar, Avashantur, Sandeleon, Carolanum, Barbossos, Aedelos, Ethaerion, Vaheshtai, Kecantar, Santarion & Tolos] . Minor cities, towns, villages and forts are not noted.

History: After the fall of the philosopher kings, the Gorgossi plied the waters and prayed to their gods and the God of Heaven upon the shores of the Great Sea, enslaving lesser men and plying the waters in peace, always remembering the evil of The Serpent, and the folly of the Witch King and the philosopher kings of yore. In time a great civilisation rose again from the remnant that was Gorgossos, and the Gorgossi, the great masters of the sea wrought many great works marvellous to behold beyond the ken of lesser men. They traded with the barbarians of the inner sea and obtained in the process wealth unmatched by any of the petty states that rose up in their wake. So it was that from the sea-bound isles of Gorgossos a great republic rose under the aegis of its virtuous lords and wise Speakers, and spread out upon the shores of the land and brought order once again to the lands of men ravaged and laid bare after the breaking of the world. In time however the Lords of Gorgossos and the august magisterium became softened by wealth, becoming quarrelsome and corrupt, forgetting the gods who preserved them from ruin and raised them up to lordship. Likewise, with their corruption so did their fair and equitable yoke became as a scourge to their subjects. The slave-nations of the republic, envious of their masters works and embittered by the treatment of corrupt magisters and wayward and impious men rose up under their traitor prince of Conros from hidden redoubts and cities of deceit, striking out at the great empire and throwing off the sweet yoke of civilisation which raised them up from savagery and darkness.

The Gorgossi seemed all powerful, but now they had been defied truly for the first time. Shocked at this outrage and at the treason of one of their own princes, the Gorgossi turned unto their gods once more and prayed for penance and favour. Thus it was that heaven looked down upon Gorgossos with favour for their repentance, and sent forth The Oracle to lead them. Proclaiming the judgement of El Ashai the Lord of Heaven was at hand, and that the sword of Uashantin, deity of Righteous War was readied to smite down their wayward servants, he rallied the people of Gorgossos in a great rebellion against the magisterium by the might of his holy sorceries and the rousing ardour of his holy words. He cast out the magisters of Gorgossos and the corpulent speaker of that time, putting them to the sword in their debased and wretched palaces of deceit and wickedness. The Oracles victory, inspiring more victories, led the people of Gorgossos to raise him up to the empty throne, as Emperor to his people, the herald of a new birth for the Empire.

It was then that the high holy priests and the augurs of destiny took council in the Palace of the Sun, wherein before did the Senate of the Princes of Gorgossos hold council. Here they proclaimed that it was written in the book of heavens that The Oracle was as a god amongst men, and god to his people, the earthly incarnation and avatar of El Ashai, the Lord of Heaven. Proclaiming thus, they ordained and confirmed that his rule was by the grace of heaven and that He was sent as the divine medium between heaven and the race of men, and that the people of Gorgossos in turn were to keep the ways of heaven and reject all that was impure in return for this great gift of the gods.

Therefore, it came to pass that by the august God-Emperors decree, and that of those who took his mantle after him following this divine command, were temples built and public works erected such that the word of the Way of Heaven and the great Lord of Heaven was spread far and wide even unto the barbarians of mountain and vale and the savages of the jungles. Thus it was that from Gorgossos the Great, now called the blessed, a new and holy Empire was brought into being shining like a beacon of light unto all the world. Now it is that sending forth trading ships far along the shores of the sea, sending forth pioneers into the deep woods and even unto the storm-wastes of the Serpent Lands, the Empire stands upon the precipice of a new age, expanding even as new barbarian nations and the corrupt dens of the old rebels arise in the pale image of Gorgossos, heeding the whispers of the serpent, paying obeisance to false gods and serve once again the cause of the ancient enemy of man.

Themes and Values: Government type is Monarchy with theocratic elements (Byzantium?), with actual government function being bureaucratic (ie not feudal or democratic). Self-control, martial valour, loyalty to Emperor and nation and intellectual prowess for men are valued, while sexual modesty, motherhood, docility and the stereotypically feminine manner of conduct in general women is fitting with the cultural values of the aristocratic and ancient Gorgossos. Piety is expected of all.

Consorting with demons, heresy, apostasy and breaking the usual religious/moral prohibitions of society are taboo, ethnic miscegenation is also taboo. Slavery remains as a social institution, however under the rule of the God-Emperors ethnic Gorgossi can no longer be enslaved and there now exists some rights for the enslaved. Magic is practiced as a legacy of the times of the White King, with ancient relics being preserved by the temples, but any and all sorceries invoking the powers below are highly taboo, and the practitioners of the infernal art meet summary execution when they are found.

Religion consists of a pantheon of Celestial gods who are to be worshipped and glorified and an anti-pantheon of demonic entities (the powers below) to be rejected and exorcised.

The Chief God is El Ashai the Lord of Heaven (NB - could be interpreted as the same entity a the god of Seons people, almost certainly derives from the same source) , who's earthly representative and avatar is the Emperor.

Beneath him are various lesser deities, the most important of whom are.

Uashantin, god of righteousness and war [symbol is the sword]
Marya, goddess of purity
Edasan, god of invention, industry and scholarship
Linquen, god of liberation, the light in darkness.
Keristi, the deliverer from evil
Turam, punisher of the wicked
Keq, The seed of revelation.

of the powers below, the most despised are

Petaro, The Great Serpent, breaker of the world
Sorosa, The Deceiver
Jergyi, The Tyrant
Abamar, The Faithless
Sha Tin, The Devourer of Souls.
Kurintan, The hermaphroditic demon of perversion.

Goals: Two end goals. The first is the major long term goal. The second is the ongoing goal so to speak.

Order : The Gorgossi worldview would like to see the world ordered according to the will and design of the heavenly gods. In practical terms this is to say they wish to see the world united under their religion, (spiritual order) and all humanity united in a hierarchical world order with the god-chosen God-Emperor and Empire at the head (temporal order). This temporal order denotes a stable hegemony and political/religious authority, and does not necessarily entail world conquest [albeit previously this worldview led to the Gorgossi to enslave the "lesser races"].

Trade : The Emperors wish to spread their ways abroad and obtain prosperity for their people. As such they wish to dominate maritime trade in order achieve these goals.

Variations: Colonies distant from the main polity may become politically autonomous due to distance. While the taboo against miscegenation [relation with lesser peoples] would preserve the ethnic character of these entities (perhaps resulting in a caste society between the natives and the Gorgossi colonists), they may culturally diverge (ie transition to outdated republican systems reminiscent of the old Empire, or adopt feudal arrangements or noble oligarchies). Depending on circumstances confederations of Gorgossi colony cities may emerge.

National Focus: The national focus of Gorgossos is firstly on culture (ie religion and trade). The secondary focus is on militarily supporting these interests.

National Failure: Arrogance . The Gorgossi still claim rightful dominion over all former subjects, and superiority over the "barbarian nations".

-

amended to correct grammar, and touch up consistency with various applications.

Last edited:
Yes there is! Feel free to throw out ideas in the Discord.

Wonderful! I’ll be sure to have a rough application up tomorrow, and I’d love to participate in the Discord It’s just so dang hard to figure out

the Kingdom of Vienvenido

Ah, friend, come and take your ease and be welcome in our fine city. Is there a place on this earth closer to serenity? You will not find it. They say another city sat here once, but who can remember? You will forget such desires when you see what is before you. It is Vienvenido, the bright rider on the plain; polished white travertine spilling down to the lakeside. Fine horses with finer men astride them ride out from plate-clad gates bedecked in vivid trailing cloaks. Or else in burnished coats of flowing steel; the foe beware.

In Vienvenido we have gathered wise scholars at our museo - there, a man or woman is as renowned for sharpness of knife as that of mind. Would your passion not too be roused by such exquisite idea and technique? It is entirely understandable. They say that in Esafis the halls of academe lie quiet with severe respect, and this is surely good for a place of highest religion, for the delving of Duality. In Teredor no student stands when it is is not the appointed time; the coldness of rote discipline suits these schemers well in their dedication to the science of graft. But in Vienvenido we speak with fire on the tongue and with clear purpose in our eyes, and this is good for a place of highest art. In the bright city we come to know the heart of man.

The famed beauty of the king's park is his gift to citizen and traveler alike, many miles of a pristine wilderness whose equal you shall not find. In the spring it blooms with colour, flowered trees in subtle pinks and palest golds leave their petals on the air. See there the grand menagerie, the beauty of the Son's natural creations: a profusion of flaminia birds fed upon their shrimping ponds to preserve peculiar radiance, the danger of the powerful northland lion – the jagaro – kept restrained behind tall fences.

In the distance you will espy the Palacia upon its hill, tall with its many towers, proud and stately with greened bronzen roofs. Nearer to view and on opposite rise sprawls the great complex of the Cathedra, its rising dome yet aswarm with harried builders. There housed together are the son's holy order of messengers and the archmaiden and her blanchemaids, posturing like spiteful cats as they duel for influence and power.

But do take heed, welcome guest – the King's Companions spy all from atop lofty height, and in this regard their elder art is unsurpassed. A secret known in Vienvenido is known to all in the Palacia, as is so often said.

This, friend, is a place of destiny. What shall you make of yours?

---

The Kebessi kingdoms of Palesca and Vienvenido have been unified under the latter's rule for little more than a hundred years. The long conflict between these two powers was the eventual culmination of centuries of warfare and slow consolidation among the riding clans of the Osieri plain.

Known for their skill at arms as heavy cavalrymen, mercenary Kebessi knights – guissarns – have been a near-constant feature of warfare about the inner seas for centuries. With the submission of Palesca thousands of Kebessi riders suddenly found themselves without patronage, and the number of guissarns serving in foreign armies increased rapidly. Many returned professing the Dual Faith of Esafis, and with blanchemaid consorts on their arms. The faith was fashionable, appropriate to the new power and worldliness of the Venidese, and soon it spread even to the royal court of the Palacia. The old-horse idols were torn down and refashioned in new image: the Son-as-Conqueror, posed with knightly accoutrement.

In 109 BP the king, Alexan I, converted to the dual faith – though it is said that it took ancient treasures and a great chest of silver to finally turn his heart to the Mother's sacred truth. It was a small price for the White Queen to pay to at last ruin her enemies in finality.

The Kebessi had long loathed the coastal cities, subject to slaving raids in the days of their power, and their eager host descended from the uplands upon Zeregog, and that city was put to a violent sack. By 101 BP Alexan had marched his armies all the way to the gates of Naucrastas. Naucrastas was but a shadow of its former self, and faced with the hungry blades of ten-thousand guissarns that old corsair republic swallowed down its pride with bitterness and made itself a subject.

Word came to Alexan and his court, and a summer passed. The White Queen came from across the sea. She came in grand procession, her ships bedecked with cloth of silver. She blessed the king and gave him many honours, and he was seduced by the grandeur that he saw, and he came in honesty to know Duality. She took him to her bed, and just so was Vienvenido embraced among the most favoured nations of L'Empisante.

A new age has been ushered in, and the Venidese will have their share of its bounty. They make colonies and castles, cementing their rule with the sword - the gallant knightly charge ever ready to storm out the gates.

Top Bottom