[BTS] The China loving series: Part I - Mao my Mao

Tobiyogi

King
!! Attention, you need the BAT mod to load the save game !!

Hello Civfanatics,

even though good players can rock a map with any leader and civilization, there are also preferences and in my case it is... China! Let me explain why:

It all began with the Cho-Ko-Nu (CKN). You might have noticed that even strong and fortified units lose a lot of their good odds when they are wounded. And that's what CKN provide, they damage all the units in the stack even if they die (for comparaison: mounted units do flanking damage only to siege and only after a won fight and other than catapults, CKN are also strong in the open). Here it becomes even possible to take hill cities with nothing else than CKN, because both leaders are Protective and you can promote “cover” with only Barracks. After the city conquest you give one of your units CG II and you are quite safe against counter-attacks.

In that case, Protective is a good trait and besides Churchill, the Chinese are the only ones whose UU benefits from that.
The second trait (Qin = IND and Mao = EXP) is good as well, but I will only speak about Expansive as we are playing Mao this time.

Our starting techs (Agri/Mining) cry in the most cases for a quick worker, so EXP will help with that. On that Ice Age map, there are quite a few plains-hills so it can be a decent strategy to build worker first not only in your capitol. Besides that, the saved turns from that bonus are even more remarkable on epic/marathon speed. Quick granaries are never wrong, with EXP you can 1-pop-whip a granary with only a few hammers put into it. The extra health is more significant in the late game and maybe on jungle/desert maps.

Good traits, very good starting techs, an intriguing UU, and what about the UB? The pavilion is a theater with an extra 25% bonus on all generated culture. It is not only designed for cultural victories as it helps to push back foreign culture in captured cities. Useful in different cases but surely not game-breaking.

The starting position:

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

The map is completely uncooked (only regenerated 3 times).

Spoiler A short look into the WB :
1. we are not isolated and there are targets on the same continent, 2. we have iron nearby, 3. we do not depend on fish as food resource. If we are isolated, cannot trade for iron and are forced to build fishing boats, then the whole strategy would be so much delayed that it won't be fun any more.

The game settings are:
  • Large map with 8 opponents

• Immortal difficulty, epic speed

• Ice Age with medium sea level (and a lot of “medium quality” land)

• Narrow continents (certainly not a Pangea, that would be too easy)

• No trade brokering (you can trade only techs you have completed on your own)

• Require complete kills (“Last man/fishing boat standing”)

• No huts/ no events
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

The overall idea is to start on a map that is okay, but not really great, where we can mess with someone and can bulb our way towards Machinery. If we happen to make contact with further civilizations, we can trade key techs with them without being worried they would give it to everyone. For a quick machinery, there are three paths:

1. Oracle Metal casting, build a forge in a city that does not generate the Prophet and wait for the GE to bulb the biggest part of Machinery (Qin is the better leader for that). With only one slot, it takes time to generate a GP though.

2. Avoid fishing, sailing, calender and try to grab two GS as early as possible. As soon as you have Alpha, Math, Asthetics and IW, you can double bulb MC and Machinery. For earlier scientists, you could build GL or Parthenon. If I don't have marble, I usually hire 2 scientists and 1 engineer in the second city to speed up. The GE will also be useful.

3. Simply researching, but this will only work out if you have gold or gems, at least early cottages, good trading partners, early Academy, etc.

In a way, it is a “cooked” mapscript, because we know what we want and more or less how to get there. So you could be tempted not to play the map but rather your concept of the map. On the other hand, that doesn't always work and I also appreciate when being surprised. It is still Immortal level and things can turn out differently.

Good luck to everyone! You can post your intermediate results here, but it is not designed as a Shadow game.

Attachments

• Mao my Mao I. BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    67.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
If your expecting others to play you need spoilers.

Spoiler Thoughts :

From what I can see is certain AI are spamming cities. Side effect of large map and epic speed? If the land is as bad as yours they could have a lot of very poor cities.

I thought you wanted to beeline machinery or have you already done this?

Pretty sure Monty will be attacking you soon. He attacks at pleased. You need CKN soon. Gilga has shared religion with him. Unless Monty has borders with other Ai.

If your expecting others to play you need spoilers.

Spoiler Thoughts :

From what I can see is certain AI are spamming cities. Side effect of large map and epic speed? If the land is as bad as yours they could have a lot of very poor cities.

I thought you wanted to beeline machinery or have you already done this?

Pretty sure Monty will be attacking you soon. He attacks at pleased. You need CKN soon. Gilga has shared religion with him. Unless Monty has borders with other Ai.

I was figuring that the interest in that particular map is not that high, so I didn't use a Spoiler. Here is what happended a bit later...

Spoiler :
While waiting for the 2. GS, I was going towards Music what I finished after the MACH bulb. Otherwise my GS would point to PHILOSOPHY. Ofc I had taken care of Monty and gifted him a city in the early game. Then he declared on Charly who is in the west. They are still at war and I have attacked Monty from my side with CKN. Yeah, problem is that the map seems to be too vaste. I thought 9 Civs on a large map would be ok but they are way too big. I have taken 3 Cities from Monty now (including Pyras, Parthenon) but only because of advanced technology. He has much bigger army than me and I don't have a little one.

You could at least post saves? I think what has happened is the land is not divided evenly. So some Ai have limited land. Where others have large huges swathes of it. You will be limited to whipping here.

Chances are a lot of the Ai cities will be junk cities.

On epic and large maps Ai have longer to spam and build units. CKN should have a pretty good window here unless Aztecs spam HA.

Well, I have played so many CKN-rushs besides that one. My intention is not to showcase something, because I usually play solely for my own pleasure. By this thread, I want to inspire others to turn towards China and to realize some of the little tricks in the description. Also I want to show that PRO can be a good trait (also in the offense) as your UU will benefit from more specific promotions right from the start.
Spoiler :
I must admit that the map makes it difficult to rush more than one neighbour. I had other expectations. Maybe I can fix it with a latter Qin map

Last edited:
Top Bottom