The Community Deity Game # 8 - Austria

My game went berserk unfortunatly :rolleyes:.

I went on, marrying CS:s, and had bought 6 of them when Sweden backstabbed me. Up until this moment I had a good game with Education t95, ST on t134 plastics on t166.

After 10 turns I had only 3 friends left and even if I managed to make peace with Sweden after 5 turns, my happiness sank coz I didn't get the luxes anymore from, nowdays, hostile neighbours. Minus 20 became minus 29 now :(. Salzburg revolted. Bad happened everywhere. Guess thats the drawback beeing too agressive with the CS marrying. Lesson learned.

Upon this, I managed to forget to participate in International Games.

Shi.. happens :lol:

I'm finding this game very intriguing. My only experience with Austria was the DCL which I played in a very odd way for fun.

Curious to hear others thoughts on wonders: Temple of Artemis and the major happiness wonders. I'm going with a ToA, 2-city NC start.

Glad to hear Manpanzee say no RA signings; aiming for sub T210 or so, I find there's little time to build everything and I'd rather use gold to purchase buildings, especially in the capital, which is very busy.

I used to think like that, but now I more in favour of them.

I had two waves of RAs:

95-108 - finished 125-138 gave me about 1-2 turns of current science (and allowed early public schools without bulb)

126-140 - finished 156-170 (with PT) gave me about 2-2,5 turns of current science (and allowed plastic without bulb)

If I had third wave ~157-165 (for ~187-195 finish) I would finish for sure sub 200T (esp that would be with PT and rationalism policy, so even with science gap still should give me sth)

As you didn't bulb GS for schools or plastics and therefore had 1-2 extra GS at the end, how much faster was your game from Plastics to victory compared to normal?
Is 35-40 turns from Plastics to victory close to optimal?

I used to think like that, but now I more in favour of them.

I had two waves of RAs:

95-108 - finished 125-138 gave me about 1-2 turns of current science (and allowed early public schools without bulb)

126-140 - finished 156-170 (with PT) gave me about 2-2,5 turns of current science (and allowed plastic without bulb)

If I had third wave ~157-165 (for ~187-195 finish) I would finish for sure sub 200T (esp that would be with PT and rationalism policy, so even with science gap still should give me sth)

I was personally expecting a monster boost on Deity from Research Agreements, but 1-2 turns really doesn't get me too excited. I signed 6 between turns 95-120 myself and each time they came through I was very underwhelmed when they came though and didn't even finish off a 3 turn tech for me! But oh well, the game is far from over for me, the mid-late game is where it usually falls apart for me on Deity so I hopefully will be able to pull it together and marry more CS's right before the finish. We shall see, I wish I could play Civ at work too but I only get to play Civfanatics and watch other people play CIV. I'd maybe be able to actually finish a game or two...

As you didn't bulb GS for schools or plastics and therefore had 1-2 extra GS at the end, how much faster was your game from Plastics to victory compared to normal?

It would be one more GS (usually I bulb schools or plastic), if not the fact that I had GSs from three cities not four as usually (so in end was the same).

Is 35-40 turns from Plastics to victory close to optimal?

I would say 30-35 rather.

It would be one more GS (usually I bulb schools or plastic), if not the fact that I had GSs from three cities not four as usually (so in end was the same).

At what point did you add a 4th city?

I'm on a pretty ambitious attempt right now, T94 update:
-built Temple of Artemis ~T34-35, then settler
-2 city NC
-married 3 city states, on turns 70, 75 and 89
-T94 education, bought Uni in capital, building the other 4.

Obviously, happiness could become a problem; I have 58(!) citizens on T94, with +4 happy. In my 4 expos, I'm removing some citizens from food-only tiles and making them unemployed for +1 hammer, which will slow growth and build the Universities slightly faster. Could lead to an excellent finish time or disaster...

I managed a 286 victory worth 6 Points (1 for Time, 3 for Diplo-Marry, 2 for Coffee).

I went two city NC, bought Wellington, bought Hanoi, became best friends with Sweden and took Delhi together, I took the city. Bought one more CS after gifting all my units so the CS would upgrade them. Then turtled. Screwed up my production order/bulbing a bit probably could have shaved 5-8 turns. My best SV time by about 20 turns though :)

Fun map, nice and "easy" for a deity noob like me.

113T - tried to diplo-marry Hanoi- not worth (lack of tiles to work; tiles costed over 200 golds! - reload :D); will try later :)

Buying a tile before your city has naturally expanded it's borders for the first time costs more; I believe this applies when you diplo-marry as well. So, if you're trying to buy tiles in Hanoi immediately - instead of waiting until it has naturally expanded it's borders once since you married - you will be charged a higher rate.

Shark Diver is back, bless my soul :lol:

Hey ST, yeah, all it took was the right bait......an easy science victory where I could turtle:) I'm kidding, as my warmongering tendencies probably have grown since the old DCL. I'm working my way backwards through the games on this thread to catch up....currently having fun with the Spain game (should be a very fun write-up).

It seems that there is another Deity thread going that looks to be like 43 games in? I looked at a couple of those games but it seemed that mods were pretty common, and I have never quite figured out how to download the various mods on a Mac. I'll get caught up at some point.

I would say 30-35 rather.

I have also trouble finishing 30-35 turns after plastics. Would love to hear you elaborate on this. Maybe write a detailed guide about the endgame, the bulbs, the prerequisites in terms of gold, faith,culture etc to be able to have that finish time? :)

I have gotta try this after the grinding CDG 3 win with Ethiopia.:lol:

I have never won a SV in a turn time of below 220 turns. My fastest win was t229.

Btw I just wanted to know how many expos do you guys settle before NC. Also what is the BO in the expos and with what expo size do you guys build your libraries. I want to get a pre T75 3 expo NC.
Also what is the optimal no of cities for getting a fast SV(like 4/5/6) with Tradition.

Well ok... If Shark Diver is going to take the bait I guess I will as well and take a shot at this one!

Is there some sort of shark bait joke in here somewhere?

Good to "see" you F.A., Nigel, etc....As I haven't been lurking around these boards, I haven't read up on the history of this series and who to thank for providing the challenges, but I think I'll be able to be a regular participant for the foreseeable future.

Also what is the optimal no of cities for getting a fast SV(like 4/5/6) with Tradition.

Usually four; but not in this game due to map (hard to settle four good spots) and Austria's UA (game really should be play differently than standard - it is the point of this game! :))

Is there some sort of shark bait joke in here somewhere?

Good to "see" you F.A., Nigel, etc....As I haven't been lurking around these boards, I haven't read up on the history of this series and who to thank for providing the challenges, but I think I'll be able to be a regular participant for the foreseeable future.

Here is a quick summary, from what I have gathered anyway:

Consentient created this series about 6 months ago, then immediately disappeared to do something else. Mr. Stormtrooper posted the maps that Mr. Consentient created, and everyone tried to figure out how this was supposed to work. The achievements were tricky and needed hard definitions, which we worked through painfully to sort out.

Around christmas-time, Stormtrooper reminded us that he was out of maps and didn't have the time to make any. Also, Consentient came back and cranked at us for not creating maps and carrying on the torch. I promised to make one and then fried my computer, several others promised to make them, then submitted them to him, which he rejected privately apparently. He posted another map, and then someone(s) said something mean to him and he rage-quit the entire Civfanatic forums due to the negativity.

Then, another person, Enslingkorp, posted a map with 0 achievements, and then settled on bland achievements, and then dissappeared as well. And then we have this wonderful map from Ironfighter, which has breathed new life into the series. Hopefully we can keep this going, and have more maps like this, as this one has been a blast and a lot of people are trying it.

I finally got my computer fixed last week, and luckily we have maps lined up through Mid-march. Last I checked, the April Fools slot is still open. I'd love to grab it for myself, but after what happened the last time I volunteered I'll wait until I actually have a map before volunteering...

Top Bottom