The Conquests

If you pick one of those two, I would assume France is more fun, being on the continent?
France is the strongest Civ in the scenario: it has a large cohesive territory and the best units (hideously OP 8.8.1 Imperial Guards and 8.4.2 Cavs -- albeit also the most expensive?), so even at Emperor most of the AI-Civs would likely be walkovers. Would a ROFLstomp be fun to watch?

Britain also has strong units (7.7.1 infantry) but the disadvantage of having to conquer abroad to capture Victory Point Locations (while also defending Gibraltar), so might make for a more interesting game in that respect.

But if you're open to playing anyone else, Chox, then I'd pick the Russians. Their infantry is slightly weaker (6.6.1) but they start with (I think?) the most towns, the largest land area, and a comparatively simple border -- from which they can attack 4/5 of the non-aligned nations directly, allowing expansion and capture of VPLs, without automatically incurring DoWs from either of the locked alliances (I'd start with Prussia and northern Austria, then work south). The main disadvantage for Russia is that barbs will spawn continuously from the hinterlands.

As far as the smaller nations go, I've played this scenario 5 or 6 times now, at Emperor, but the pRNGods have only ever deemed Prussia or the Ottomans as worthy of my tender ministrations. I have won with Prussia (once), and failed to win with both (more than once!). IMO, then, the Ottomans are more difficult, having comparatively few towns but a large territory, most of which is largely unimproved or badly improved (spamming Workers initially, and getting Code Civil ASAP is essential; I add those native Workers back into my towns later, once I start capturing enemy towns and enslaving their populations). But both Prussia and the Ottomans start with large cities, so can also conscript lots of defenders in the early game.

My strategy for both was to (sell off useless improvements like Colosseums and) tool up as quickly as possible, eat as much of Austria as possible before the French and Russians got the chance, then expand further south (if Prussia) or north (if Ottomans), all while cravenly appeasing Napoleon to avoid getting attacked, and keeping enough troops near the Russian border to repel Peter any time he got froggy (grab one town, then make peace!). The Prussian and Ottoman infantry are comparatively weak (4.4.1 and 5.5.1, respectively) vs. the Big Three, so beelining Artillery Tactics (? = Grand Batteries) is also a high priority.

BTW, if you happen to have a NoRaze .exe, I would strongly recommend using it for this scenario, because Settlers aren't buildable -- but City-Culture (border-expansions) is retained on capture, as in Rise of Rome, and the AI will sometimes raze towns (I played this twice recently, first as Ottomans and then as Prussia, and the French burned down Venice both games!).

Last edited:
That is a very good point, I am barely familiar with this scenario. Prussia might be interesting, then? Are Austria or Spain playable - Austria might be fun, given that from your post, it is everyone's first target?

Are Austria or Spain playable - Austria might be fun, given that from your post, it is everyone's first target?
Yes, both those nations are playable (IIRC, only Sweden and the Netherlands -- possibly also Denmark? -- are unplayable in the unmodded scenario), but I'm not sure that Austria's vulnerability would make for a fun game!

On Turn 1, Austria shares borders with France, Prussia, Russia, Ottomans and Neapolitans, and most of Austria's towns can potentially be attacked by cross-border fast-unit raids, making the territory very difficult to defend if the other nations are allowed to get rolling. Sibiu(? The town in central Romania, anyway!) is potentially exposed to the Ottomans and Russia, although it is also shielded by a substantial Mountain range. Austria can build Hussars, which are a little stronger (6.2.2?) than the generic Cavalry used by the smaller nations (5.2.2 in this scenario; Prussia's Cuirassiers are 5.4.2, Russian Cossacks are 5.2.3, Ottoman Sipahi are 5.3.2), but her infantry is very weak (4.4.1), so again require massed Cannon/Grand Batteries to back them up.

Austria's main advantage is that 4(?) of her starting towns are also VPLs. OTOH, the VPLs do also make those towns more attractive targets for the AI. I read (somewhere on CFC) that VPs from occupying a VPL are apparently awarded on a per-unit basis: if that's true, then piling up a (necessary!) large defensive-stack in each VPL-town, even just conscripts, could potentially allow Austria to rack up VPs at rates similar to the Big Three.

If I was playing Austria, I think I'd start by attacking Venice. Naples is very weak (and always seems to collapse very quickly to the French), and blocking that corner stops the French sneaking through to the Ottomans, whose territory Austria covets (appeasing Napoleon is also essential, to avoid losing Salzburg). Then ally with Russia against the Ottomans, leaving Chisinau for them, but aiming to take Mostar, Belgrade and maybe also Vidin(? The town just SE of Belgrade) — those towns are close enough to Vienna to be more useful to me than Selim, and also tidies up my southern border. Then maybe ally with France and/or Russia against Prussia: Napoleon would likely get Frankfurt and/or Hamburg via Amsterdam, and Peter will likely get Konigsberg and Danzig, but I should be able to get Poznan and maybe also Leipzig, which expands the northern border. Then lay into the Ottos again, this time going for Skopje and Sofia, and maybe Bucharest, if I still have the unit-strength — or game-turns! — left to do so (getting dangerously close to Istanbul by that point, though).

Last edited:
Yes, both those nations are playable (IIRC, only Sweden and the Netherlands -- possibly also Denmark? -- are unplayable in the unmodded scenario), but I'm not sure that Austria's vulnerability would make for a fun game!

None of France or Britain's perma-allies are playable (Netherlands, Naples, Denmark, Portugal), nor is Sweden, but France/Britain/Austria/Spain/Prussia/Russia/Ottomans are all playable.

On Turn 1, Austria shares borders with France, Prussia, Russia, Ottomans and Neapolitans, and most of Austria's towns can potentially be attacked by cross-border fast-unit raids, making the territory very difficult to defend if the other nations are allowed to get rolling. Sibiu(? The town in central Romania, anyway!) is potentially exposed to the Ottomans and Russia, although it is also shielded by a substantial Mountain range. Austria can build Hussars, which are a little stronger (6.2.2?) than the generic Cavalry used by the smaller nations (5.2.2 in this scenario; Prussia's Cuirassiers are 5.4.2, Russian Cossacks are 5.2.3, Ottoman Sipahi are 5.3.2), but her infantry is very weak (4.4.1), so again require massed Cannon/Grand Batteries to back them up.

If I was playing Austria, I think I'd start by attacking Venice.

Venice is already controlled by Austria at the start of the game. :p

Venice is already controlled by Austria at the start of the game. :p
Really? I'd always assumed it started Neapolitan. Probably symptomatic because by the time my Prussian or Ottoman units reached it, it was invariably French. Or rubble.

Sooo, back on the topic of your Conquests, have you made a decision? Who's it going to be?

Last edited:
Top Bottom